Bench | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bench

I'm in wait-and-see mode on Hughes at the 3. He's small for the position and I'm not sure about his rebounding against ACC competition, his ability to score inside or his range to stretch the floor. I'd like to hear more about what he did in practice, especially since he was a 27% shooter at ECU. Word is his shot's good, and he's had a year of coaching. Bras will be raw, but I'm sorry 6'9 and a high-jumper - who also shot 50% in EYBL - I just can't dismiss him yet in favor of a 6-6 guard as a backup forward until I see what Bas can do in the first few games. If he picks up the zone - a big if - I could see him joining the forward bench rotation and backing up MD.

Hughes is built like CJ Fair, only about 1" shorter.
Stevie Thompson was small for the SF position.
Andy Rautins was small for the SF position.
Hughes is NOT small for a college SF.

in real games, barring injury:
frank, tyus and carey are the guard rotation
oshae, marek and hughes are the forwards
boo & chew are the centers

that is it. the other three contribute and develop in practice
I completely agree with this. I think the better discussion is how the minutes play out. I think Carey is playing around 16 and Hughes around 20.

20 mpg is the ceiling for Carey. Frank will play in the high 20's to low 30's and Tyus will play in the mid 30's. There's going to be a bit of a learning curve for Carey. Even Tyus didn't come in and blow it up early in his freshman year.
It's nice that if Carey comes in and has a learning curve we will be fine. We have FH and TB. This next year is going to be fun.

Fair has 2 inches on Hughes based their inflated heights of 6'6" and 6'8". Maybe semantics, but it is what it is.
Stevie was special.
Andy's really productive year was at guard rather than SF.
Hughes is more like Malachi, imo.

Hughes might not be small for a college SF but he's not big for one either. This could be a problem in two crucial areas; rebounding and defending the rim. I'm not super worried about rebounding, but rim protection would be a big question mark. Hughes will probably defend the 3 point line a little better than a bigger SF would, but if it comes at the cost of note being able to limit interior scoring when he rotates to the paint, then that's a net loss.

On offense, it won't be an issue and puts an extra shooter on the floor, which is nice to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy played mostly 2G, and the fact that we had smaller forwards 15 years ago (or more recently in a pinch) doesn't mean it's the best option in today's ACC. Another scorer might help offensively, as Brooky noted. But rebounding and defense are the traits that helped last year's team overachieve. When we had White at the position - 6'7 and every bit as big as Hughes - he couldn't hang on the glass (4.5 rpg) or defend the rim. This past year, we had (OB) size and springs there and boom the guy's pulling down almost 8 rpg. That's HUGE. We were finally on the plus-side on the glass, even though the zone limits defensive rebounding. This year, I think we'll have the depth and talent to run more and play faster, so possessions MIGHT not be as critical as last year. And we're only arguing over a backup for a few minutes. But I'm in wait-and-see mode on Hughes trying to survive at forward. For my money, Bras can't come up to speed too soon.

Last edited:
Andy played mostly 2G, and the fact that we had smaller forwards 15 years ago (or more recently in a pinch) doesn't mean it's the best option in today's ACC. Another scorer might help offensively, as Brooky noted. But rebounding and defense are the traits that helped last year's team overachieve. When had White at the position - 6'7 and every bit as big as Hughes - he couldn't hang on the glass (4.5 rpg) or defend the rim. This past year, we had (OB) size and springs there and boom the guy's pulling down almost 8 rpg. That's HUGE. We were finally on the plus-side on the glass, even though the zone limits defensive rebounding. This year, I think we'll have the depth and talent to run more and play faster, so possessions MIGHT not be as critical as last year. And we're only arguing over a backup for a few minutes. But I'm in wait-and-see mode on Hughes trying to survive at forward. For my money, Bras can't come up to speed too soon.

we've had plenty of SF's over the years that weren't big rebounders or rim protectors. White, Richardson, Gbinije, Joseph.

we've had plenty of SF's over the years that weren't big rebounders or rim protectors. White, Richardson, Gbinije, Joseph.
We have, but as I posted, rebounding and defense are sacrificed. White couldn't defend the rim (12 blocks all year) or rebound like a forward (4.5 rpg). Joseph had similar numbers (4.7 rpg) in 2011-12. Binije played mostly point his last year, but the year before (when he was playing SF) he barely had 5 rpg and 10 blocks all year. Richardson same problem - 4.3 rpg with 10 blocks all year. Fortunately, we overcame it that year with other front line help (Lydon, Coleman and Roberson all averaging 35+ minutes). So you can get away with it, but there's a price. Look at the difference a real forward made (Brissett): 43 blocks last year and almost 9 rpg (both about double what a guard gives us). MD -- 30 blocks and almost 5 boards playing less than half the game. No doubt, additional offense or matchup advantages make SG/SF worthwhile situationally. But overall the numbers don't lie. And if any season serves as a lesson on the benefits of a tall front line, last year was it. We'll see what happens. It's been a while since we've had the luxury of debating over depth and versatility.

Last edited:
buddy will red shirt as a frosh. then take a 2 year college sabbatical leave to krabzoneistan . only to then return and blow out a knee against marathon oil and medical red shirt after 2 games. 6 years minimum.

I think JB wants him to redshirt for the reasons I outlined. He even said last fall or over the winter “he might redshirt.” I just think it’ll be a question of what Buddy will decide.
I’d say so too. I just don’t think JB will do it. But with the minutes I don’t see why they shouldn’t.

I could see a scenario where Frank is given a shorter leash this year...
Esp if the turnover rate does not improve dramatically and we continue to avoid fast breaks like the plague.

Esp if the turnover rate does not improve dramatically and we continue to avoid fast breaks like the plague.

you must be trying to generate your own talking point.

I think JB wants him to redshirt for the reasons I outlined.[/QUOTE][]member: 6357"]

me thinks JB wants to cement his own legacy stockpiling as many wins as he can in his short window. he dodged one bullett with hopkins leaving. he had one foot out the door. he'll hang on til buddy's done and then we'll still have to drag his arse out.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I feel like Howard Washington redshirts (and shines during his career as basically a dependable backup guard).

8-man rotation in league play.

Howard 30
Battle 32
Brissett 32
Dolezaj 28
Chukwu 20

Carey 18
Hughes 20
Sidibe 20

Buddy gets some spot minutes if we need some dependable shooting to stretch the D. Battle can slid to the 3 for small stretches if that is the case.

Also I think Howard/Battle/Brissett will be so much more efficient playing less minutes.

announced dad's making 2 mil plus from the university. buddy needs a schollie really ?

Last edited:
Hughes ain't little for SF. Battle was measured at 6-6 and 3/4 in NBA combine. Hughes same as Battle height wise and has at least 15lbs on Tyus...my eyes don't lie. Inch here inch there who cares if got game.

I feel like Howard Washington redshirts (and shines during his career as basically a dependable backup guard).

8-man rotation in league play.

Howard 30
Battle 32
Brissett 32
Dolezaj 28
Chukwu 20

Carey 18
Hughes 20
Sidibe 20

Buddy gets some spot minutes if we need some dependable shooting to stretch the D. Battle can slid to the 3 for small stretches if that is the case.

Also I think Howard/Battle/Brissett will be so much more efficient playing less minutes.

Wasn't it reported in February that Washingtons surgery would keep him out 6-9 months? That would mean no competitive ball, including practice, until late in the year. I doubt we see him this year unless we absolutely have to ...

Wasn't it reported in February that Washingtons surgery would keep him out 6-9 months? That would mean no competitive ball, including practice, until late in the year. I doubt we see him this year unless we absolutely have to ...

JB said in one of the Battle returns articles in the PS that he expects HW back on the court in Sept.

JB said in one of the Battle returns articles in the PS that he expects HW back on the court in Sept.
Wow, that's by quick rehab. Thanks for adding that, I only read a few of the hundred articles on Battles return. And there were at least a hundred.

Mcw played 10 minutes a game in games he played in. He had about 12 DNPs coaches decision.
Agree with the range for Carey. However, I think there will be some games(and important games) where his change of pace style makes a huge impact for us. If he can keep the good attitude, contribute when he’s on the court he will play a big role in March/April. Cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom