Bench | Syracusefan.com

Bench

Actionthrill

Walk On
Just wondering what people think on how Boheim will use the bench? We all know he doesn’t like to play a lot of players and he has his starting five back from last year. So how will this affect Carey and Hughes and Braswell and Boheim? The only player I think we know will get a lot of minutes is Sidibe. Just wondering what you guys think will happen.

Just wondering what people think on how Boheim will use the bench? We all know he doesn’t like to play a lot of players and he has his starting five back from last year. So how will this affect Carey and Hughes and Braswell and Boheim? The only player I think we know will get a lot of minutes is Sidibe. Just wondering what you guys think will happen.

So tough to predict. My guess as of now.

Howard 30
Battle 34
Brissett 32
Marek 25
Chukwu 20

Hughes 23
Sidibe 20
Carey 10
Buddy 6

Howard 30
Battle 34
Brissett 32
Marek 25
Chukwu 20

Hughes 23
Sidibe 20
Carey 10
Buddy 6

I could see a version of that playing out through the month of December but by Jan 1st HCJB is going down to a 7 man rotation. Thats just his normal mo but agree through the first 1/3rd of the season that is a plausable breakdown. Caveat: if Cuse is torching teams up as many believe, he will go deeper into his bench in smaller minutes.

Unless he can play some forward or Battle does, I just don’t see JB sitting a senior Frank often. Either that or he’s taking the 6 minutes I have penciled in for Buddy.

MCW sat a LOT his freshman year.

I'm hoping his play will demand PT and will push either Tyus to the 3 or Frank to the bench

Howard 30
Battle 34
Brissett 32
Marek 25
Chukwu 20

Hughes 23
Sidibe 20
Carey 10
Buddy 6
My guess is that Buddy redshirts. JB wants to get the full and best use out of him. Why waste a year where he only plays sparingly because we have so much depth and talent at guard? He’d be best off redshirting like Cooney did when we had lots of guard depth his freshman year. Andy Rautins medical redshirt also helped him (and us) enormously. Plus, it pads at least another year onto JB’s retirement timeline, which is a good thing for the program and will help solidify recruiting. Give Buddy’s 6 minutes to Carey and this is about right.

Last edited:
I could see a version of that playing out through the month of December but by Jan 1st HCJB is going down to a 7 man rotation. Thats just his normal mo but agree through the first 1/3rd of the season that is a plausable breakdown. Caveat: if Cuse is torching teams up as many believe, he will go deeper into his bench in smaller minutes.
8 man rotation in ACC play, barring injury or Sidibe’s knee acting up again.

in real games, barring injury:
frank, tyus and carey are the guard rotation
oshae, marek and hughes are the forwards
boo & chew are the centers

that is it. the other three contribute and develop in practice

My guess is that Buddy redshirts. JB wants to get the full and best use out of him. Why waste a year where he only plays sparingly because we have so much depth and talent at guard? He’d be best off redshirting like Cooney did when we had lots of guard depth his freshman year. Andy Rautins medical redshirt also helped him (and us) enormously. Plus, it pads at least another year onto JB’s retirement timeline, which is a good thing for the program and will help solidify recruiting. Give Buddy’s 6 minutes to Carey and this is about right.

I’d say so too. I just don’t think JB will do it. But with the minutes I don’t see why they shouldn’t.

in real games, barring injury:
frank, tyus and carey are the guard rotation
oshae, marek and hughes are the forwards
boo & chew are the centers

that is it. the other three contribute and develop in practice

Agree with this breakdown. And that is more than sufficient.

And by 8, you mean 6.5-7. :)

The years we legitimately go 8 deep feels like we're like 1996 Kentucky in terms of depth.

Yep. If Boeheim's able and willing to send TWO subs to the scorer's table a few minutes into the game, it feels like a deep bench.

I think the main difference is that the players we are adding make it much tougher to pack it in or play zone against us, as Hughes and Carey are legit threats from deep. That allows us the luxury of putting a couple different lineups with four legit perimeter threats on the floor. It is going to be much easier for Battle and Brissett to drive when Hughes AND Frank/Jalen have to be guarded.

And that's without including Braswell, which could give us another versatile piece, depending on how he picks up the defense. And if Marek can stretch the range on his jumper, we are going to be really tough to guard.

Really looking forward to next year.

I'm in wait-and-see mode on Hughes at the 3. He's small for the position and I'm not sure about his rebounding against ACC competition, his ability to score inside or his range to stretch the floor. I'd like to hear more about what he did in practice, especially since he was a 27% shooter at ECU. Word is his shot's good, and he's had a year of coaching. Bras will be raw, but I'm sorry 6'9 and a high-jumper - who also shot 50% in EYBL - I just can't dismiss him yet in favor of a 6-6 guard as a backup forward until I see what Bas can do in the first few games. If he picks up the zone - a big if - I could see him joining the forward bench rotation and backing up MD.

Last edited:
Unless he can play some forward or Battle does, I just don’t see JB sitting a senior Frank often. Either that or he’s taking the 6 minutes I have penciled in for Buddy.

MCW sat a LOT his freshman year.
Dion played 16 mpg, and MCW played 10 mpg freshman year. That seems like the range for Carey, depending on how much he contributes. Hope people mention that to him when he gets a little bummed about playing time

I could see a scenario where Frank is given a shorter leash this year...

I understand where you’re coming from but I dont think that’ll be the case.

I think Frank’s about to put up our most notable pg year since MCW.

Franks whole game is creating for and finding others. His sweet J is a bonus.

Last year we forced a round peg into a square whole and told him to change his game to be the offense, as he was the 2nd option out of three. He is not an iso scorer or extremely explosive scoring threat.

Frank gets more dangerous as hughes, marek, pc, jalen and sidibe progress.

20 mpg is the ceiling for Carey. Frank will play in the high 20's to low 30's and Tyus will play in the mid 30's. There's going to be a bit of a learning curve for Carey. Even Tyus didn't come in and blow it up early in his freshman year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom