Benny Analysis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Analysis

Most of his good games were when we were being blown out and losing by 20+. I don't want to be a debbie downer but hoping Benny turns it around (again we did this last offseason) is just a symbol of how far the program has fallen and the participation trophy expectations lots on here probably wish we were battling North Texas in the NIT last night.

I don't think you can teach the athleticism and he hit enough threes that it wasn't an accident and you can only imagine how good he is in practice.

Add a wing that is legit better and take the pressure off him and we should be happy with the returns.

A lot of wide open threes. But if you’re the 4th or 5th option on the team, which may be the case next year, then he’s going to see ALOT of open looks.
If he shoots at volume at a decent clip he won’t. Then he’ll be floating in the outside doing what bell does.

When I look at player performance, I try to look at a consistent measure. I mostly look at per 40 numbers only on conference play, to try to get performance only against better opponents (although the ACC wasn't great this year).

Benny Williams improved in nearly every category. In spite of his minutes doubling, he shot better, rebounded better, blocked more shots, got more steals. The only negative is that his turnovers pet 40 increased with greater minutes. He had a miserable freshman year, and showed out a lot better this past year, showing a lot of growth. This in addition to his measurable and visible improvement his last four games.

I think he's a significant candidate for another leap.

His high school footage showed a guy who could dribble drive, lead the break, and attack the basket... Why did he forget how to do all that when he got here? I don't think he did, he was told not to. So when he saw the opportunity and tried, half his brain was saying "go" and the JB controlled half was saying "no!"

The net result was a lot of bad dribbling with nothing positive resulting.

Nobody will benefit from the change of coaching more than Benny Williams.

Even if I'm wrong, and he's just a guy who rebounds pretty well and hits open threes, he's a valuable player. Even more so with two aggressive penetrators as the guards, as his number of open shots should increase with the shift from Girard to Starling.

hey i love benny . but was amazed at the amount of rope JB afforded him this year. sure he got benched for a bit .walked. got bashed for rebounding numbers in the PP's regularly. but uncharacteristically JB gave benny more PT than many in the past would have given. i think he genuinely liked the kid. or lacked options.

hey i love benny . but was amazed at the amount of rope JB afforded him this year. sure he got benched for a bit .walked. got bashed for rebounding numbers in the PP's regularly. but uncharacteristically JB gave benny more PT than many in the past would have given. i think he genuinely liked the kid. or lacked options.
Yeah, sort of surprised he took Maliq out of the starting lineup. We really stunk when that happened…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom