Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

I recall DeShaun Williams being given multiple second chances and for much more egregious issues.
I was referencing on court performance and off court.

I worry that Autry is going to lose the locker room after this. Mintz, Starling, Copeland, Brown, McLeod, and Cuffe have all commented on the Instagram post. Its one thing for them to be sad/upset at the decision, but its another to publicly react on your own team's social media post
No action by Red would have been worse. This is exactly what he needed to do. Nowadays kids transfer like they change underwear but if they are serious about an NBA career, I don't think you want to be labeled as a malcontent.

A friend of mine who is not a Cuse fan, but UNC and had great seats by the Cuse bench there, made an off the cuff comment a couple weeks ago that he didn't think that Red had good control of the team. I'm a big Red fan, so I ignored his comment and haven't heard anyone else say that. Red has worked too hard too screw this up, but like any first year coach will have growing pains.

I worry that Autry is going to lose the locker room after this. Mintz, Starling, Copeland, Brown, McLeod, and Cuffe have all commented on the Instagram post. Its one thing for them to be sad/upset at the decision, but its another to publicly react on your own team's social media post
If taking disciplinary action and making someone accountable for their actions loses the locker room, then I'd say we need a whole new locker room.

I get Benny needing to be removed from the team but why do it now? Why not just wait a month when the season is over and let him transfer.

Did anything specific happen after the Wake game that led to this? Seems like Red is just punting the rest of the season to make a statement
He was removed for cause, he doesn’t get that benefit.

Last edited:
No action by Red would have been worse. This is exactly what he needed to do. Nowadays kids transfer like they change underwear but if they are serious about an NBA career, I don't think you want to be labeled as a malcontent.

A friend of mine who is not a Cuse fan, but UNC and had great seats by the Cuse bench there, made an off the cuff comment a couple weeks ago that he didn't think that Red had good control of the team. I'm a big Red fan, so I ignored his comment and haven't heard anyone else say that. Red has worked too hard too screw this up, but like any first year coach will have growing pains.
A well respected, long time coach I know has been harping all year long that sentiment about Red.

I haven't coached beyond 8 year olds so I couldn't say, but he mentioned the lack of respect and control that he saw from game situations

If taking disciplinary action and making someone accountable for their actions loses the locker room, then I'd say we need a whole new locker room.
Oh I agree. And I'm not saying they're not allowed to be sad over this. Thats their brother. But to comment publicly on the social media post seems odd at best

I get Benny needing to be removed from the team but why do it now? Why not just wait a month when the season is over and let him transfer.

Did anything specific happen after the Wake game that led to this? Seems like Red is just punting the rest of the season to make a statement
It’s the behavior during the game that’s been described and all of the past incidents that led to this. We still have about a third of our games to play. Effort on the court is one thing, but you can’t allow your players to just leave the bench area during a game without permission. The players are representing the university on national tv. This is bigger than what Autry thinks about it. There is no reason that the university should allow Autry to keep Benny on the team if he isn’t 100% confident that the behavior we have seen during games already won’t continue or even get worse.

So was there a blow up behind closed doors after the Wake game? Or was not shaking hands the straw that broke the camel's back?

Oh I agree. And I'm not saying they're not allowed to be sad over this. Thats their brother. But to comment publicly on the social media post seems odd at best
Agree. I'd prefer they didn't, but I guess it might shed more light on what Red might be dealing with in a way.

I think Red doesn’t have good control of the team to an extent, but I think removing Benny now might divide the team even more (with half the team commenting on the Benny release notice about how heartbreaking it is). Hopefully I’m wrong.

I’m not saying removing Benny was an issue, more so the timing of it.

I have no problem with his teammates reacting on social media. These guys have been friends with him for years, some dating back to HS, and it's always sad when one of your compadres gets shown the door.

But the decision has been made.

The line has been drawn.

So either those guys elect to move forward and get with the program, or they can instead opt to follow Benny out the door.

Boeheim's attitude regarding player behavior on social media was to not really have a policy and let them make their own mistakes like anyone (not that it's a mistake to comment in this case). I wouldn't be surprised if Red agreed there.

But now that we're in the player empowerment era I would say good luck to any coach that wants to play in that sandbox.

I have no problem with his teammates reacting on social media. These guys have been friends with him for years, some dating back to HS, and it's always sad when one of your compadres gets shown the door.

The line has been drawn.

So either those guys elect to move forward and get with the program, or they can instead opt to follow Benny out the door.
It's like when a co-worker/friend you have worked with gets fired for a variety of legit reasons. You either sulk about it and or you move on and realize why it has to happen.

The line has been drawn.

Exactly the tough conversation we thought would happen in the offseason is happening now. If they don't like it they can all leave with Benny. Red needs to take control of the program and this is his first step. Like I said nobody on the current roster I would lose sleep over if they decided to leave, do I want a couple to stay sure but nobody is above being replaced on the current roster.

Just curious though, was this mostly about playing time or how he was being used or just a smattering of stuff?
As I thought I observed he was initially pissed due to the foul call on what I felt was a jump ball. He tossed the ball, then got the T. Then or at the same time Copeland seemed to get ticked. Not sure what that was all about - the play, the foul call the T or just how everything seemed to be going in one direction call wise.

Regardless after that I did not happen to see him bump the coach but I suspect he probably did, The entire attitude of the team had blown up at that point. Agree with Red, the team seemed to give up. The final straw was most likely skipping the handshake line. I am sure other actions and words were most likely said. Red needed to regroup the team. He loses this team and locker room and his coaching era may end early.

I think Red doesn’t have good control of the team to an extent, but I think removing Benny now might divide the team even more (with half the team commenting on the Benny release notice about how heartbreaking it is). Hopefully I’m wrong.

I’m not saying removing Benny was an issue, more so the timing of it.
It is heartbreaking, but it needed to be done. He obviously was well liked by the players and coaches which probably helped him even get to his junior year still wearing a Syracuse jersey. Players have to decide how they want to move forward. But he doesn’t get to stay on the team because he is well liked by his teammates after everything that has happened.

A well respected, long time coach I know has been harping all year long that sentiment about Red.

I haven't coached beyond 8 year olds so I couldn't say, but he mentioned the lack of respect and control that he saw from game situations
Here they come.... Ready, set, go...Some people just need a little blood in the water

That just what kids/ young adults/ adults do this day and age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom