Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

Of course they dont. He was a teammate and brother. They want him to succeed. Seeing someone close to them lose their chances of achieving their dreams is heartbreaking.
agreed. just mentioning it. hope it doesn't portend any sort of issues with copeland going forward.

While legally an adult, maturity is a scale, not binary. That's all there is to it. Wish Benny the best.

On to Red, how this team responds to his decision will tell us an awful lot about the guys that want to be here, and more importantly, set the tone for the future of the program. Tomorrow just got a whole lot more interesting.

agreed. just mentioning it. hope it doesn't portend any sort of issues with copeland going forward.
Sorry if it came across as an attack on you. It wasn't. I just wanted to state my opinion from the mind of a Younger adult.

His teammates do not share in the board's enthusiasm over this event, at least per the broken heart emojis they are sharing on iG.
Then they need to grow up too and realize that team is more important than anything.

Fork! Too bad , he made his own bed though so it was only a matter of time I guess. Now we’re down another player who could contribute sporadically. But those games were good numbers by him.

Why can't we have anything nice?

247 on Benny as a freshman recruit:

“Has positive length for a combo forward. Is thin, however, and needs to build up mass and strength. A high leaper with athleticism. Can struggle to utilize athleticism against contact and while in traffic. Has a great shooters touch. Finishes well on the move going to the basket. Is a reliable three-point shooter. Has potential to really extend his range. Not necessarily a nifty ball handler, but Williams is a reliable handler and can see the floor and distribute while on the move. Is a straight line driver who likes to utilize a crossover early in the drive. Has potential has a versatile defender and overall rebounder. Developing physical strength and toughness is vital.”

Some of that is true. Benny hit 9% of his threes as a freshman, 40% as a sophomore and 21% as a junior. He was neither a nifty or reliable ball handler. He's not a distributor. He wasn't a "versatile defender" or "overall rebounder".

I suppose we can sit here and try to define what is a kid, an adult, a young adult, a grown ass man, hell let's add in when constitutes a quarter life crisis.

Bottom line- chances were had. Majority of these kids/young adults/grown ass men can figure out how to not get suspended or get kicked off the team. Hopefully he gets it together, whatever the next step is.

Putting ALL incidents aside. There were so many signs he wasn't willing to put the work in with his play on the court. How does your shot start out horrible and only get WORSE as your career goes on here? Even in year 3 with the team! Fundamental part of bball and he clearly was unwilling to put the work in or listen to coaching.

Even now people still do not know jack about the guy or why he acts the way he does so might as well stop speculating. Glad we can put this whole thing behind us. It is for the best.

At 21, you should know right from wrong. Benny was given more than one chance to change his ways. He didn't take them. Red did absolutely the right thing. No part is more important than the whole.
Agree. I'm not going to pretend I didn't do dumb stuff in college. But if I already got suspended once and then whatever the benching in Hawaii was and then among the other issues in previous seasons, I think I would have learned my lesson.

Good luck to Benny. I hope he is smart enough to stay in school, finish the semester and present himself as a viable option for another program for his senior season.

We met him when he came to our of our tailgates. Somewhere deep inside, there is a really nice kid in there. I hope we see more of that guy someday when he finds a new school.

Sorry if it came across as an attack on you. It wasn't. I just wanted to state my opinion from the mind of a Younger adult.
Thank you. I also was just trying to make sure my point is clear. I am not a younger adult. I am one of these grown arse men people write about here. :) I wish the kid the best, and hope Cope and Mintz are committed to the team's success. Not saying they aren't, just hope that they view this as better for the team.

I suppose we can sit here and try to define what is a kid, an adult, a young adult, a grown ass man, hell let's add in when constitutes a quarter life crisis.

Bottom line- chances were had. Majority of these kids/young adults/grown ass men can figure out how to not get suspended or get kicked off the team.
Yep. He needed to be held accountable for his actions. Good on Red for making that happen.

As sad as I am for Benny (boy what could have been), this absolutely had to happen. You have to cut cancers out before if metastasizes (might be a little late here). Kudos to Red for making a tough call.

Benny is going to look back in 20-30 years and wonder what could have been…what a shame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom