Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

It’s really weird to include McCullough - a guy drafted in the NBA first round - in a list of disappointments including a guy who never made it to campus. “Disappointment” shouldn’t include a guy who got hurt and made the NBA anyway.
Bobby Lazor is my biggest disappointment ever...edging out Chucky Gelatt

OMG. Most people with mental health issues think they don't have mental health issues. That is part of the problem with mental health and why many don't seek treatment. Don't put down mental health as something to brush away. This is a horrible stance. It is not a "thing" that is "trendy". It is a thing that is finally being brought to the forefront.

Yes, of course this is all true. But eventually, if you keep repeating bad behaviors, there will be consequences. People are not given an unlimited leash once they become adults, despite any handicaps or mental issues they may have.

I think his talent has been vastly overstated here because he can jump high when he has a clear path. His shot, handle and court sense never really improved.

In his defense, when motivated he was a good defensive rebounder. And he could make a midrange turnaround jump shot. He had timing to make weakside blocked shots, like a Wes Johnson. But he just didn't understand how to play basketball. It's that simple. He still doesn't understand that effort is an "all the time" thing. Same with Judah. I feel like at least JJ tries, even if you think he is bad on defense, too.

Gotta wonder what impact has been on both Benny & Cope sitting on the bench as Red continues to start JT and Bell over them and both JT & Bell doing almost nothing. Could definitely result in Cope transfer
Everyone talking about the shoulder shiver but what about breaking multiple urinals in the locker room after running away from the hand shake line? That’s why Benny is no longer here
Don't you think someone from Wake would have made mention of this to the press?

In his defense, when motivated he was a good defensive rebounder. And he could make a midrange turnaround jump shot. He had timing to make weakside blocked shots, like a Wes Johnson. But he just didn't understand how to play basketball. It's that simple. He still doesn't understand that effort is an "all the time" thing. Same with Judah. I feel like at least JJ tries, even if you think he is bad on defense, too.
In life, you get what you give. Benny wants to be a wonderful player and maybe some day he may be just not at Syracuse University.

He was the guy who decided to be a drug dealer instead right?
Yep, sure is. So, would he have made good choices once on campus...who knows. But, he was a really talented and tough kid.

Don't you think someone from Wake would have made mention of this to the press?

I’d think most of the time something like this happens, there’s some discussion at an administrative level but nothing more than rumor ever makes it to the press. Not saying anything happened here - just noting that I guarantee a ton of stuff happens we don’t hear a peep about.

Thinking about it more. I think Autry learned a very important lesson this week that goes back to his portal decisions and roster construction months ago.

It’s one thing to want to mold a young team into a new system and philosophy. It’s another damn near impossible task to do that with 10 underclassmen in the locker room and on the court. That’s a lot of personalities and youth that need to be focused together. The stuff with Benny is what it is now and he’s gone but his 18 mins a game were only a piece of the puzzle with the several huge blow out losses.

The good news is that I don’t think we’ll see Autry pull another player out of the portal that can’t buy their own beer.

I get Benny needing to be removed from the team but why do it now? Why not just wait a month when the season is over and let him transfer.

Did anything specific happen after the Wake game that led to this? Seems like Red is just punting the rest of the season to make a statement

Because Syracuse basketball is not 1970s era Led Zeppelin or The Who on tour. FFS.

I mean, I love Cope and he's had his moments but neither he or Benny have been consistent enough for the lack of starting to be some sort of travesty. Like most have said on this thread, Red needed to do this to reassert some discipline into the program, and if anybody on the team has a problem with that best of luck. Nobody on this roster is irreplaceable.
cope has blown the other forwards out of the water...he has had some bigtime stinker games though...so he hasnt really justified auto-starter status...no one has...the forwrads are a gaping hole on this roster

but considering what the forward corps is, i could see cope being disgruntled with playing time at this point...as his blowup with red recently might indicate...there are certainly other programs that might offer cope a starting spot.

same with benny...I know people wanna rag on him ...especially now that things havent worked out...and with how ridiculous his behavior has been.

but expecting these PAID players to be altruistic and only care about the team is a pipe dream

they are slefish and this era is the most selfish era in history. NIL is like gas to the fire.

struggling college is no longer costing players money later...its costing them money RIGHT NOW.

lets just deal with the current reality as it is.

all i can say - if I was benny I'd probably be pissed too...jt and bell have blown chunks for many games and have their spots secured? meanwhile...benny has been taking one for the team since the day he arrived on campus

a 5 star player being benched as a freshman is 1 thing. as a sophomore another.

but as a junior...with the coach that probably promised you that was all over in the offseason? its a lot to ask in this era of non-commitment.

i dont think Bennys behavior is justified and I am not trying to justifiy it.

i think this is the right move for the team.

but if I try to get into his head...he is probably pissed about being benched over two players that he probably outperforms in practice.

I know I would be...

if I was benny during this season...I would already have decided to transfer. fwiw

what would really be the point of staying loyal to a team that isnt getting you anywhere?

I think IF and When SU gets more 5star recruits...the clock is going to be ticking on their playing time ...from day 1. Was kinda shocked benny hadnt transferred already. multiple times.

i think part of the reason that his behavior seems so crazy to us as outsiders probably feels justified to him bc of things that have been said and done outside of the public gaze...which arent being backed up in reality.

and at the end of the day...players are right to look at the whole situation as - how is this benefitting me? same with any other job.

and if you know its not going to work at a job...a lot of people start slacking and acting out...they get fired instead of quitting...as a form of protest...espcially if you think your job did you dirty in any way.

idk...

its going to be wild if benny somehow kills at another school...and that is possible...although unlikely.

Yes, of course this is all true. But eventually, if you keep repeating bad behaviors, there will be consequences. People are not given an unlimited leash once they become adults, despite any handicaps or mental issues they may have.
This is irrelevant to the topic I was pointing out. I was not talking about Benny or any one person in particular, but about the comment that mental health is a "trendy" thing these days.

I think it is obvious, it I don’t think that’s a reflection on Red, the two stable guys from last season left. I don’t care what anyone says, last years team was a mess too, I think Jesse and Joe masked a lot of it. It didn’t seem very hard for Joe to leave when Red was named coach, and maybe Jesse knew that Joe was leaving and it was going to be Red and this group of misfits he didn’t want a part of it? I’m just speculating, but who could coach this group? Red is in charge of who is here, I believe he knows who’s given up this season and they won’t be back. Not sure there is a player on the roster I’d be sad to lose, but almost everyone but Brown and maybe Copeland I’m going to question why they’re even here.

Remember, this year's group of sophomores, except for Benny, were all freshmen last year. Of course the 2 upperclassmen were expected to be the foundation. I can see moving Joe along, but trying to keep Jesse, which Autry did. Red was hoping to give everybody a chance, and they would rise to the challenge, that most of them would improve. But he didn't instill enough offense, and it took him a month or so to teach them adequate man-to-man defense. So, we have a team that's a mess, and Red hasn't done the best with his player rotations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom