Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

It’s really weird to include McCullough - a guy drafted in the NBA first round - in a list of disappointments including a guy who never made it to campus. “Disappointment” shouldn’t include a guy who got hurt and made the NBA anyway.

He never had any impact at SU. "Disappointing" in that sense. He might as well have never played here. He was gone by December of his freshman year. He's a nothing to me.

The sad part is, none of these guys seem like they care that they’re even on the team. We’ve seen bad the past few years but what we’re seeing here isn’t just lack of talent, there is a lot of not giving a heck about anything. If any of them care they really don’t show it.
This. The idc attitudes are barely tolerable when we’re winning, let alone this.

Because Syracuse basketball is not 1970s era Led Zeppelin or The Who on tour. FFS.
IMG_5061.jpeg

Remember, this year's group of sophomores, except for Benny, were all freshmen last year. Of course the 2 upperclassmen were expected to be the foundation. I can see moving Joe along, but trying to keep Jesse, which Autry did. Red was hoping to give everybody a chance, and they would rise to the challenge, that most of them would improve. But he didn't instill enough offense, and it took him a month or so to teach them adequate man-to-man defense. So, we have a team that's a mess, and Red hasn't done the best with his player rotations.
This doesn’t look like a group that wants to learn.

Yea, then people roasted Boeheim for not bringing in somebody more capable than Jimmy. No guy that good would have taken a back up spot to a high 4 star, low 5 star recruit. The year after they could really have gone after Swider to come back. He would have greatly improved his draft position with a big senior season, but I believe that thought Williams was going to make a sophomore jump which didn't happen.
Never should have gotten to that point, can't lose Braswell, Quincy and Woody all in 1 off-season. That was a major red flag.

He never had any impact at SU. "Disappointing" in that sense. He might as well have never played here. He was gone by December of his freshman year. He's a nothing to me.

You can feel any way you want - but publicly including a guy who was a first round pick in the NBA on a list of disappointing players reflects very poorly on you. The goal (or at least) for these guys is to make the NBA. Chris did.

Including him in a list of disappointments shows you really don’t care about anything other than the enjoyment you personally can get from Syracuse basketball - the personal goals the players have are irrelevant. They’re just meaningless pawns to you. Just unbelievably selfish on your part.

And probably on the spectrum / social anxiety
With the ability to diagnose specific medical conditions, yes ok, wow. Imagine if the kid or a family member were to read this; how would that make them feel? Are you a Doctor., or a qualified clinician who treats patients and has the ability to diagnose within their scope of practice?

You can feel any way you want - but publicly including a guy who was a first round pick in the NBA on a list of disappointing players reflects very poorly on you. The goal (or at least) for these guys is to make the NBA. Chris did.

Including him in a list of disappointments shows you really don’t care about anything other than the enjoyment you personally can get from Syracuse basketball - the personal goals the players have are irrelevant. They’re just meaningless pawns to you. Just unbelievably selfish on your part.

Oh, GFY. "Reflects poorly on me". LOL

I said he was a non-entity as a Syracuse player. So sue me.

I am a SYRACUSE fan. I really don't give a damn what these players do later in their basketball careers. I only really care what they do as part of our team.

With the ability to diagnose specific medical conditions, yes ok, wow. Imagine if the kid or a family member were to read this; how would that make them feel? Are you a Doctor., or a qualified clinician who treats patients and has the ability to diagnose within their scope of practice?

You know, if I'm one of Benny's parents, I feel embarrassed that he's been given so many chances, and keeps acting so immaturely that he gets kicked off his basketball team. It's not like this started yesterday, FFS. It's Benny's own fault that any of these things are being talked about. He didn't have to do any of the stuff he has done. Don't forget that part.

I was talking about Taurean, and I believe that was discussed on here prior during his time here

I take it you don't have kids. It's not like he murdered anyone, but whatever.

I got kids- raised 3 of them. And I thank God they're decent human beings.
The one thing I will tell you is they know how to not act like aholes, and they respect authority.
Bumping a coach after multiple chances to "get it right", is something I would not expect any of my kids to do. And if they did, they know I'd have their azzes over it.
Sorry, I don't do the touchy-feely, "my kid is an ahole but it's not really his fault" garbage.
Benny is not a child- he's made multiple mistakes. At some point you get it, or you get isht-canned. That's life. Hope he bounces back, but at this point...no more excuses.

Last edited:
I think JJ, Brown and JT are solid, Q may need to slow down and focus in that regard. JT can want to learn and actually learn, but I don’t think he can play at this level.

Sorry, but Taylor is just not good enough. He could have played for Mike Brey or Bobby Knight, maybe, but basketball isn't like that anymore. There is not nearly enough structured offense in most P5 schools. It's truly hard to watch a lot of college basketball. At least the pros have much more talented players, and have a better sense of what to do on the floor.

I think JJ, Brown and JT are solid, Q may need to slow down and focus in that regard. JT can want to learn and actually learn, but I don’t think he can play at this level.
He can't, last year I didn't think he could because he's too slow to be a guard and not explosive enough to be a F. Who are you able to guard when your a tweener like that?

He can't, last year I didn't think he could because he's too slow to be a guard and not explosive enough to be a F. Who are you able to guard when your a tweener like that?
Role player off the bench in spot situations?

Totally agree, dash. If you assume that the multitude of things we have seen with Benny are just the tip of the iceberg, Red had to act. He has recruited many of these guys and has been their buddy. He can’t allow them to take advantage of that.

This. Don't know why it took however-many-hundred posts for this point to be made, but it's everything.

Autry's got to thread a needle on discipline in his first year, and it looks like it well while making some hard decisions.

Totally agree, dash. If you assume that the multitude of things we have seen with Benny are just the tip of the iceberg, Red had to act. He has recruited many of these guys and has been their buddy. He can’t allow them to take advantage of that.

Another example of Red making a statement:

We all love Q and know that almost every game there will be a flashy move that goes nowhere, but when he pulled the pure hotdog move I said to myself “Red has to pull him for that.” Didn’t expect him to, but he did. Then, after they exchanged words, Red banished him to the end of the bench. He put him back in, but message sent.

Missing shots happens and is part of basketball but lack of discipline, lack of hustle, lack of team work, etc should never happen. Every guy on the team has been guilty of some of that at one time or another and sometimes several guys at once. And that’s just the stuff that we are privy to. Who knows what goes on at practice or off the court.

Based upon the last game plus Red’s presser and the move made with Benny, hopefully this is a turning point not just for Red the coach but what we see out of the team going forward. One can only hope.

We Old School guys are all in agreement on this. A line needs to be drawn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom