Benny Williams to return | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams to return

He will play better just because of his relationship with Red and he will be given some freedom to not worry about mistakes. JB really had a tough time with Benny and his “attitude” and it made him a complete headcase. I expect some great improvement just because he will be more relaxed

I'm glad to hear it. I know he wasn't shy about expressing his frustrations, but Benny was incredibly miscast as a zone defender, and I think everything poured out from that. He has the tools and athleticism to be a really good man defender and legit weapon in transition. It might take some time, but I also wouldn't be surprised if a switch flipped pretty quickly for him next season.
Every player should be able to plan man and zone. Benny was absent defensively and on the boards most of the season. Towards the end he showed his capabilities

Every player should be able to plan man and zone. Benny was absent defensively and on the boards most of the season. Towards the end he showed his capabilities
He is athletic enough. I think we need to reestablish the culture of playing good defense being a requirement to getting on the court.

I give Benny and his parents credit. If ever there was a case for being in the portal the last two years, Benny was it. I give him credit for his perseverance. Kids who suck it up usually get rewarded for staying the course. I hope he thrives the next two years. Good for him.

I am pleased about this. I was critical of benny at times but he made a noticeable jump in play, especially over the last quarter of the season. Kudos for his perseverance, patience, and hard work--its paying off. I need to remind myself that progress in basketball, and life, is not linear.

So Red has got JJ and held onto Benny. We have a shot with Jesse and Judah is probably coming back barring a first round guarantee.

We still need a few pieces, but we could be really looking at a solid ball club next year.

As RF2044 said, I think Benny can have a Damone-like career trajectory if he just focuses on trying to get from park to first gear versus park to fifth all at once.

I think he is a better shooter than player at this point. He is athletic, though I think to what level is overhyped on this board, and that doesn't hurt. He needs to continue to develop his 3 point shooting which was good last year.

He will play better just because of his relationship with Red and he will be given some freedom to not worry about mistakes. JB really had a tough time with Benny and his “attitude” and it made him a complete headcase. I expect some great improvement just because he will be more relaxed
I saw it multiple times when I played. Coaching doesn't always make a player better. I'm really glad that Benny is sticking around as I believe he has a great year ahead of him.

Absolutely.

Nice.

Benny and Judah are tight. I suspect this makes it more likely Judah stays for another season.

This. Big deal imo. Honestly though how he played the end of the year is the Benny we all wanted day 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom