Benny Williams to return | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams to return

Love it. College basketball is at its best when you see a kid mature from when he steps on campus to his junior/senior year. Fingers crossed he puts it all together because the kid has not run from adversity when so many others would in this new era. That’s the type of kid I want in our program.

Now that he’s back maybe we can avoid opening 50 new Benny threads psychoanalyzing the kid and just root for him.

Love it. College basketball is at its best when you see a kid mature from when he steps on campus to his junior/senior year. Fingers crossed he puts it all together because the kid has not run from adversity when so many others would in this new era. That’s the type of kid I want in our program.

Now that he’s back maybe we can avoid opening 50 new Benny threads psychoanalyzing the kid and just root for him.
Hope so

Ball skills and more ball skills. Footwork getting to the basket and moves in the post. All areas he needs to develop. Effort has to be there 100% of the time. Setting up a sub rotation will also help.

Hear me out.

Maybe the psychoanalysis threads are what pushed him to return to prove the haters and losers wrong and we actually need MOAR body language threads/

If he can improve his handle this offseason like he improved his jumper last offseason, I think he has pro potential.

I think Mintz is ultimately going to make a decision based on what's best for him and where he' s most likely to get drafted.

Having his friends stay on the team doesn't hurt tho
Playing time at SU leading a talented team + NIL > 2nd round pick + G league

Playing time at SU leading a talented team + NIL > 2nd round pick + G league

star-wars.gif

So Red has got JJ and held onto Benny. We have a shot with Jesse and Judah is probably coming back barring a first round guarantee.

We still need a few pieces, but we could be really looking at a solid ball club next year.

As RF2044 said, I think Benny can have a Damone-like career trajectory if he just focuses on trying to get from park to first gear versus park to fifth all at once.

Not playing Debbie Downer but if Jesse and Judah return you essentially have the same team as last year, with the addition of the trade of Joe for JJ.

JJ will fit better into what we will be doing next year. If you bank on JJ’s potential vs Joes production then we get a little better.

Assuming all the returnees show the normal year on year improvement then each are a little better.

We all are believing in Autry, but his coaching is a total question mark at this point. He’ll work extremely hard, relate to players and run a Better style but time will tell about managing a game, refs, coaching etc.

The schedule will also be tougher so these gains may not result in a much better season.

Of course this all changes if we land some of the transfer players being discussed.

Cuse

Not playing Debbie Downer but if Jesse and Judah return you essentially have the same team as last year, with the addition of the trade of Joe for JJ.

JJ will fit better into what we will be doing next year. If you bank on JJ’s potential vs Joes production then we get a little better.

Assuming all the returnees show the normal year on year improvement then each are a little better.

We all are believing in Autry, but his coaching is a total question mark at this point. He’ll work extremely hard, relate to players and run a Better style but time will tell about managing a game, refs, coaching etc.

The schedule will also be tougher so these gains may not result in a much better season.

Of course this all changes if we land some of the transfer players being discussed.

Cuse

You need Moore faith in our new Orange Overlord imo

Benny needs constant effort and energy. Points and rebounds will come.
Yes I think the zone encourages standing in a spot .. harder to transition to moving on offense

Cuse

Judah was way better by the end of the year and his upside is much, much higher for a soph year.

Also, no disrespect to Joe, but JJ combined with those players is a much better whole than what we were.

I'm going to leave any other commentary about Joe behind and just say that the sum of the potential parts we have will be much greater than what it was this year.

I don't know who in their right mind thinks this kid is a 4.
Drive the ball to the rim Benny and work all summer on your 3 point shooting. Let's say bye bye to Mr. Inconsistent.

Judah was way better by the end of the year and his upside is much, much higher for a soph year.

Also, no disrespect to Joe, but JJ combined with those players is a much better whole than what we were.

I'm going to leave any other commentary about Joe behind and just say that the sum of the potential parts we have will be much greater than what it was this year.
I think there deserves to be some skepticism with JJ and I say this as someone who lives in the town he grew up in. AND I realize he is a freshmen, but his overall numbers this year were NOT good.

I think there deserves to be some skepticism with JJ and I say this as someone who lives in the town he grew up in. ANDI realize he is a freshmen, but his overall numbers this year were NOT good.

No issue with wanting a player to prove it on the floor. Won't give you a hard time about that. My 0.02 is that between being fully healthy and having a better fitting surrounding cast and coach, I think he'll perform better. But no issue with waiting and seeing.

I hope Bennie finds an inside game and brings some intensity next year

Huge! Can see him really putting it together for his junior year!!

I think there deserves to be some skepticism with JJ and I say this as someone who lives in the town he grew up in. AND I realize he is a freshmen, but his overall numbers this year were NOT good.

That was also my initial response.

However...

JJ was an All-ACC Frosh team 1st team dude.
Along with Judah, and the requisite 3 Dook dudes.
I think he was 4th OA in votes. Judah was 2nd.

Given that he played on an epicly bad ND team, with a lame-duck coach playing out the string, and he also apparently was dealing w/ an injury - making 1st team All Frosh is pretty damn impressive.

AND...

JJ is ranked at the TOP of the Transfer Portal guys for 2023.
ON3 has him #1.
Too Fo Se7en has him #3.

It's kinda hard to believe that ALL of those people are just hardcore JJ Stans, and he actually isn't very good at basketball.

Let’s not forget JJ is almost a year younger than Judah.

JJ just turned 19. Judah played his whole freshman year here at 19

His numbers are difficult to assess last year given ND was a complete mess when you factor the Brey decision, not having their key big man and then honestly everyone around JJ having a weaker year efficiency wise than the previous.

In addition, you generally get a sense of what Brey wants to do on offense every year. This year they had no identity and really seemed to just throw a group of guards onto the floor without clear roles or a game plan. Poor chemistry and just not effective use of the roster not to mention the shoulder issue.

Skepticism is more than fair but JJ picked one of the worst P6 teams to spend year 1 at unfortunately too.

That was also my initial response.

However...

JJ was an All-ACC Frosh team 1st team dude.
Along with Judah, and the requisite 3 Dook dudes.
I think he was 4th OA in votes. Judah was 2nd.

Given that he played on an epicly bad ND team, with a lame-duck coach playing out the string, and he also apparently was dealing w/ an injury - making 1st team All Frosh is pretty damn impressive.

AND...

JJ is ranked at the TOP of the Transfer Portal guys for 2023.
ON3 has him #1.
Too Fo Se7en has him #3.

It's kinda hard to believe that ALL of those people are just hardcore JJ Stans, and he actually isn't very good at basketball.
Fair. It was also the weakest freshmen class this year in some time. I know he has potential. 11ppg is nice. The advanced metrics are concerning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom