Benny Williams | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Dave

2nd String
This young man is pure gold. He came in with tremendous hype and when the game was ahead of his development curve he recognized it, was candid about it and worked. Too often youngsters blame everyone and everything but their need to learn and develop. One factor that is overlooked is that it is tough to be the lone freshman on a veteran laden team. In my opinion it all changes this year. I am rooting for him. His attitude is a rarity these days.

Agree totally. Met him at the airport in Baltimore a few weeks ago. Great representative of the university, great young man. Would not take the bait on any negativity on lack of playing time. The Duke game was just a preview of great things to come. Cheering for him as well!

This young man is pure gold. He came in with tremendous hype and when the game was ahead of his development curve he recognized it, was candid about it and worked. Too often youngsters blame everyone and everything but their need to learn and develop. One factor that is overlooked is that it is tough to be the lone freshman on a veteran laden team. In my opinion it all changes this year. I am rooting for him. His attitude is a rarity these days.

Agree on this. He had an extremely difficult and, I’m sure, humbling freshman season. But he didn’t take the easy way out of blaming others and transferring out. Rooting for him big time.

He is reminding me, in the most important ways, of Scoop. Difficult circumstances. He is facing them head on, not blaming others. I am confident that he will come out on the other side as positively as Scoop, if not more so.
Benny was obviously blessed with really good parents and role models in his life.

To me it's always been great to see how a player develops over his career. The way things are today you're seeing less and less of that and I think it's hurting college BBall. I hope Williams becomes all we hope for.

I've got a question. What are we doing for a "4"?

To me it's always been great to see how a player develops over his career. The way things are today you're seeing less and less of that and I think it's hurting college BBall. I hope Williams becomes all we hope for.

I've got a question. What are we doing for a "4"?
I think Brown is going to surprise a lot of people. I can see him playing a Roberson type of role for us. Tenacious on the glass and good defense.

Word on the street he’s coming back as Ben next year.

Benny/Ben seems like a good kid, and I'm certainly glad that he's coming back. But this notion that kids who transfer are "taking the easy easy out" and "blaming others", is silly (to put it kindly), in my opinion. Maybe sometimes kids just want a change, or think that their games would fit better elsewhere?

Doghouse frequency as well?
I left this board for several years mainly because I was sick of the endless whining about Boeheim. I've been a staunch defender for decades. However, I've had a couple of gripes. The big one is Boeheim humiliating these young kids in front of the fans. It's way too theatrical for my taste and I don't think it ever does the kid any good. His infamous doghouse player of the season is another thing I don't like. I'm Boeheim's age and it makes you a bit more short tempered and less patient.

I knew when it was time to retire. It's time to hang them up Jim.

If we have 6'8" 6'11" and 6'8" across the front line and we can rebound enough, we can play C SF SF CG CG and it doesn't matter. Hopefully next season will be one where length and athleticism obviate the need for body mass.

The five players indicated of course being:

Edwards
Williams/(Freshman)
Girard/Mintz

If we have 6'8" 6'11" and 6'8" across the front line and we can rebound enough, we can play C SF SF CG CG and it doesn't matter. Hopefully next season will be one where length and athleticism obviate the need for body mass.

The five players indicated of course being:

Edwards
Williams/(Freshman)
Girard/Mintz
Taylor/ bunch . Both are 6'7

But this notion that kids who transfer are "taking the easy easy out" and "blaming others", is silly (to put it kindly), in my opinion. Maybe sometimes kids just want a change, or think that their games would fit better elsewhere?

I don't think anyone here is painting that kind of broad brush. Take Frank for example, just about everyone here could completely understand his choice for leaving and don't blame him. I believe the OP's point is that he handled things well in the face of adversity, which isn't what many young men do.

I don't think anyone here is painting that kind of broad brush. Take Frank for example, just about everyone here could completely understand his choice for leaving and don't blame him. I believe the OP's point is that he handled things well in the face of adversity, which isn't what many young men do.
It wasn't the OP that said this, but someone else in this thread did. And there was plenty of vitriol directed at Richmond and Newton on this board, after they decided to transfer.

Taylor/ bunch . Both are 6'7
Maybe... I've heard Taylor has grown a little bit and Brown and JBA are both taller than that.

Either way, my point about length and athleticism needing to outweigh girth stands.

It wasn't the OP that said this, but someone else in this thread did. And there was plenty of vitriol directed at Richmond and Newton on this board, after they decided to transfer.
Hmmm... I must have missed those threads because I don't recall people being upset with Kadary. What I read was people (including myself) upset with Boeheim. As for your other point, nah... you might want to re-read. No one here was implying anything of the sort. You're reading too much into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom