Benny | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.
" The opposite of love, is not hate...it is indifference".

I think the fan base is becoming indifferent to Benny and his situation.
At some point it becomes: "Isht, or get off the pot already...or don't! Who cares?" -sigh-
Great point. That's where I'm at. I wanted everyone to walk on eggshells to keep him happy and encourage him to play to his potential, now I just don't care.

At some point it becomes: "Isht, or get off the pot already...or don't! Who cares?" -sigh-
I think a decent amt of the fanbase is, but based on the game thread reactions to if he looks angry in the huddles, there's still some who think he matters. I dont get it.

I think a decent amt of the fanbase is, but based on the game thread reactions to if he looks angry in the huddles, there's still some who think he matters. I dont get it.
I've never liked the thought of giving up on a player- don't know if I ever have, really.
Jalen Carey, Matt Moyer, and a couple of others come to mind, but it's never a good feeling.
We keep hoping because as long as he's playing, then maybe...just maybe, it'll all finally click and our patience will be rewarded.

I've never liked the thought of giving up on a player- don't know if I ever have, really.
Jalen Carey, Matt Moyer, and a couple of others come to mind, but it's never a good feeling.
We keep hoping because as long as he's playing, then maybe...just maybe, it'll all finally click and our patience will be rewarded.
We’ve had instances where guys took longer to develop: Rak, Z Sims, Roberson, Kris Joseph, Damone Brown, DNic. I think we’re all holding out some hope that Benny is one of those late developing guys.

We’ve had instances where guys took longer to develop: Rak, Z Sims, Roberson, Kris Joseph, Damone Brown, DNic. I think we’re all holding out some hope that Benny is one of those late developing guys.
Outside of Sims I’m not sure the guys you mentioned are great comparisons. They all contributed more than Benny did at this point. Joseph was the Big East 6th man of the year as a sophomore if I remember right. Rak started on a 30 win FF team. The bar should be much lower here.

Wait, so what is the opposite of hate then?

I would love to have Reid from LSU starting at the PF for us over Benny or Bell.

Bell doesn’t play PF.

In no way, shape, or form am I suggesting that Benny is the equal of Leo Rautins. That's ludicrous.
I am saying that if he was a PG who experienced a growth spurt, as someone suggested, then perhaps you try to utilize him as a Point Forward, like JB did w/ Rautins. I'm referencing the position, not the players.
And I mention Leo because at that time, the Point Forward position was not common. Leo was one of the first, and kudos to JB for having the coaching acumen to use him in that manner
I can tell by his ball skills he never was a PG at any level of basketball outside of the CYO team his dad coached.

Moyer appeared to be a great teammate and has his moments. Same with a guy like Kaleb Josephz Bennys issue is on top of the sub par performance, he’s had several issues off the court too. It makes it more frustrating for everyone

Moyer appeared to be a great teammate and has his moments. Same with a guy like Kaleb Josephz Bennys issue is on top of the sub par performance, he’s had several issues off the court too. It makes it more frustrating for everyone
Agreed.
The other guys didn't have issues that required suspensions or taking time off for "mental health days", etc.
Benny is such an enigma.

I dont know how people can get so worked up over this. Some of y’all constantly spew the same in this thread every single day does it not get old? Sometimes some of y’all seem so personally hurt by what a player is doing it complexes me, i just wanna offer y’all a joint or something.

Benny sucks, we all know it. Like someone said prior to me the discussion is just stupid at this. If he performs he performs if he doesn’t it doesn’t.
The entire forward position is flawed we just have to take what we can get from whoever.

I dont know how people can get so worked up over this. Some of y’all constantly spew the same in this thread every single day does it not get old? Sometimes some of y’all seem so personally hurt by what a player is doing it complexes me, i just wanna offer y’all a joint or something.

Benny sucks, we all know it. Like someone said prior to me the discussion is just stupid at this. If he performs he performs if he doesn’t it doesn’t.
The entire forward position is flawed we just have to take what we can get from whoever.

Says the guy ranting on a message board about...(checks notes), rantings on a message board.

Wake Up What GIF by Laff

He is obviously struggling mentally. He has many god given gifts but his mind is holding him back. One thought is to run specific plays for him. I would post him up and try to get him the ball inside see what he can do with his back to the basket as I have never seen him operate in that space by design. Another would be to run some pick and rolls with him. Again, I don't remember seeing much of that with him.
The idea is to take the thinking away by running set plays. Just a thought who knows hope he gets it together.

Benny can get a lot more shots if he would grab an offensive board or venture anywhere near the paint on the offensive end. Skulking around the perimeter waiting to launch a 3 doesn't result in maximum shots.
He should be cutting to the basket, under the basket, to see if he can get an alley oop every possession. Maybe he sets a screen or gets one of the perimeter to get an open shot, but then he works cut back again to do it on the other side. Usually he looks like he doesn't have a plan, but to shoot if he happens to get the ball when he's open.

I'd he did nothing but dunk, shoot threes, and move the ball on offense, he could be so valuable.

Here's my obligatory mention that he's our best percentage three point shooter from last year.:vomit:

He should be cutting to the basket, under the basket, to see if he can get an alley oop every possession. Maybe he sets a screen or gets one of the perimeter to get an open shot, but then he works cut back again to do it on the other side. Usually he looks like he doesn't have a plan, but to shoot if he happens to get the ball when he's open.

I'd he did nothing but dunk, shoot threes, and move the ball on offense, he could be so valuable.

Here's my obligatory mention that he's our best percentage three point shooter from last year.:vomit:
He should be the guy setting the pick for Judah. Depending on what the defense does, he can roll to the basket for a flush, or pop out and stick the three on the outlet from Judah.

He should be the guy setting the pick for Judah. Depending on what the defense does, he can roll to the basket for a flush, or pop out and stick the three on the outlet from Judah.
I haven't seen him set a pick for Mintz all season long. I have no idea why, Williams should be perfect for that. Red either knows something we don't, or sucks at coaching offense.

I'm actually starting to lean towards the latter after watching 7 games,

But it might just be the players are adapting to the new offensive roles and it will come together. Folding new players into the offense is always hard, but we've got two new starters transferred in, and Taylor playing a completely different position. And that's just the starters.

Lots of opportunity for confusion with that much change. But, after all that, they've won all the games we thought they would win through seven games.

He is obviously struggling mentally. He has many god given gifts but his mind is holding him back. One thought is to run specific plays for him. I would post him up and try to get him the ball inside see what he can do with his back to the basket as I have never seen him operate in that space by design. Another would be to run some pick and rolls with him. Again, I don't remember seeing much of that with him.
The idea is to take the thinking away by running set plays. Just a thought who knows hope he gets it together.
Has it been said what the issues are exactly? Playing time, personality conflicts, etc.? I'm not asking for them to be aired on this board, but just wondering because it all seems odd. Even with his issues with Boeheim, he got a lot of playing time. Now with Red, as I understand it they were supposed to have a good relationship. I'm confused as hell with this. Most of the time it's because a guy isn't getting enough playing time and/or doesn't like how he's being coached or utilized.

I haven't seen him set a pick for Mintz all season long. I have no idea why, Williams should be perfect for that. Red either knows something we don't, or sucks at coaching offense.

I'm actually starting to lean towards the latter after watching 7 games,

But it might just be the players are adapting to the new offensive roles and it will come together. Folding new players into the offense is always hard, but we've got two new starters transferred in, and Taylor playing a completely different position. And that's just the starters.

Lots of opportunity for confusion with that much change. But, after all that, they've won all the games we thought they would win through seven games.
We’ve been using the center to set that pick forever, and it’s made little sense most of that time. One theory is he’s doing it to get McLeod out of the guards way so they can drive when they get the switch. But it just doesn’t work, and hasn’t for a long time. Getting Benny active in the play will help him engage better, and present more scoring opportunities all around.

Good points on the new guys adjusting. Defin need more time.

Or maybe he just lacks the Alpha mentality. If u just told him "attack attack attack" the rim, and try to flush EVERYTHING, maybe that gets him going. Who knows at this point?

Outside of Sims I’m not sure the guys you mentioned are great comparisons. They all contributed more than Benny did at this point. Joseph was the Big East 6th man of the year as a sophomore if I remember right. Rak started on a 30 win FF team. The bar should be much lower here.
I’d encourage you to go back at look at each players’ stats for the first 2 to 3 years at SU. Rak averaged 2, 5, then 6 ppg before making the jump to 17ppg his senior year.

Benny has comparable stats, even better, than the guys I named, albeit on worse teams.

I’d encourage you to go back at look at each players’ stats for the first 2 to 3 years at SU. Rak averaged 2, 5, then 6 ppg before making the jump to 17ppg his senior year.

Benny has comparable stats, even better, than the guys I named, albeit on worse teams.
Rak was sitting behind 1st round pick Fab Melo and All ACC player CJ Fair on Elite 8 and Final 4 teams

Benny was sitting behind Ivy league honorable mention Jimmy Boeheim Jr and freshman Bell and Brown on under 500 teams.

It's not comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors