Benny | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he going to stay in purgatory the whole season or is going to leave after this semester ends?

That performance on the bench last night won't help Benny get a new start with the best NIL $ from good programs. It was a very bad look.
I’m sure there would be several teams that would give Benny another shot due to his size and HS ranking. However the better programs would likely know to stay away from him. It is probably better for Benny to be at a smaller program now to try to find and develop his game.

MaliQ had a breakaway that should have been an intentional foul, instead SU just got the ball. He missed a thunder-dunk in traffic and was probably fouled. Other than that, he doesn't get a lot of opportunities unless he forces the issue and he's not really a selfish type of player, he rebounds or tips the ball and looks to pass. He had only one official steal, but he must have tipped the ball out of defenders offensive players' hands about a dozen times.
Maliq is great at hustle plays. Would be absolutely amazing if he could finish on a certain percentage of the limited offensive opps he gets. It would open things up for everyone else.

The difference with Benny is he doesn’t try. He isn’t coachable. He hasn’t improved any part of his game since he arrived at SU. He’s a junior. If he hasn’t figured it out by now, he isn’t going to. As a coach you have to feel confidence in a player to put him on the floor. At least with his teammates who struggle, they are at least trying. Benny shows a complete lack of effort, awareness or engagement. He’s had his chance. Play someone you at least know will try. I think the coaching staff has finally had enough. I’m tired of everyone sayings he’s a good teammate. He’s a cancer on a team and it’s time to say goodbye. Keep your scholarship and go to class, but the Melo Center is off limits.
Couldn’t have said this better.

So far from this thread I've learned (from a bunch of accountants, lawyers, and stock brokers mind you) that Benny
  • Hates basketball
  • Is stoned
  • Drinks
  • Is a cancer
  • Leaves practice early
  • Shows up late
  • Fights teammates
  • Has a psychological disorder
  • Is a bad teammate
  • Needs professional help
  • Doesn't want his team to succeed
  • Has back spasms but can still dunk
  • Is a criminal?
  • Plays selfishly (he's played 5 games, 13 minutes a game, & attempted 4ish FGs per game)

Last edited:
So far from this thread I've learned (from a bunch of accountants, lawyers, and stock brokers mind you) that Benny
  • Hates basketball
  • Is stoned
  • Is a bad teammate
  • Is a criminal?
How’s he a good teammate?

The following statement is serious. Would a team intervention help him?

Where in a closed environment (no coaches),the team talks with him and airs what they see he is doing right or wrong.

I have heard (but am not privy to) that some of his teammate relationships have become a little frosty. Sometimes, it seems like a player who is disgruntled needs to have a bucket of water over his head to see what is really going on.
Did you order the code red?

• Hates basketball
  • Is stoned
  • Is a bad teammate
  • Is a criminal?

He's a smooth criminal...

Strikes me as a kid that doesn’t love basketball very much…
Won't try to psychoanalyze but looking back you can certainly see some validity here. Benny came in as a sure fire star player destined to be a one and done. Not just his opinion, but that of a lot of talent evaluators as well. He had a disappointing freshman year where holes in his game, primarily shooting ability, emerged. Worked on re-engineering his shot in an effort to come back to show he could be a solid perimeter shooter, then go pro a year later that expected. Consitency issues plagued him but there were flashes of that kind of potential. Seemed poised to come into his junior year ready to make a leap under a Coach he has known and appreciated for years but the disconnect with Red has him finally starting to realize his life's dream may nbot be attainable. I'll go further and speculate that as a new coach Red is not as willing to let somewhat minor transgressions slide like a more senior coach might. And not sure there is any fiery leadership on the team that can push Benny to accept and overcome that.

At this point Benny needs to either find a new source of self-motivation and reset expectations if there is to be any resurrection. We've met several times and I really like the kid and his family. Wish I could say I was hopeful but I fear it's just not there.

Won't try to psychoanalyze but looking back you can certainly see some validity here. Benny came in as a sure fire star player destined to be a one and done. Not just his opinion, but that of a lot of talent evaluators as well. He had a disappointing freshman year where holes in his game, primarily shooting ability, emerged. Worked on re-engineering his shot in an effort to come back to show he could be a solid perimeter shooter, then go pro a year later that expected. Consitency issues plagued him but there were flashes of that kind of potential. Seemed poised to come into his junior year ready to make a leap under a Coach he has known and appreciated for years but the disconnect with Red has him finally starting to realize his life's dream may nbot be attainable. I'll go further and speculate that as a new coach Red is not as willing to let somewhat minor transgressions slide like a more senior coach might. And not sure there is any fiery leadership on the team that can push Benny to accept and overcome that.

At this point Benny needs to either find a new source of self-motivation and reset expectations if there is to be any resurrection. We've met several times and I really like the kid and his family. Wish I could say I was hopeful but I fear it's just not there.
Good post.

I'll add on that so many times on this board we see posts saying "SEE, he should have stayed"

Well...imo..after year 1, he should have left. He wasn't really fit for what we were doing. That said, I don't know if he every would have found what he was looking for either.

Assault is one of the most egregiously hyperbolic descriptions to describe said incident that I have ever heard. And I can tell you first hand that the teammate involved agrees with my assessment.
200.gif

It is sad. And we desperately need his size and athleticism at forward if we want to be able to compete with bigger ACC teams. He needs to get his head on straight. Tune out the noise and focus and try to play inside-out. Stop worrying about shooting jumpers and 3s and hanging out on the perimter. Just get in there and crash the glass like a madman and get out and run out on every break (beat your man down the floor), set picks for your teammates, and defend like crazy, and then good things will come.

This is me when it comes to Benny...

Season 6 Showtime GIF by The Chi

Exactly.
Are we giving up on players or trying to make them better?
As a coach can you adapt your approach to the personalities of each player?
Stop playing guessing games and start trying to field a team that fails to get back on D bc its woofing about making a basic jumper at the 12 minute mark in the 1st half.
Sticking specifically to the Benny situation, I'd agree with you if this wasn't history repeating itself. Our 45+ year HOF former HC had issues w/ Benny as well, so this isn't something new. It's unfair, and premature, to start calling out Red when the common denominator is still...Benny.

MaliQ had a breakaway that should have been an intentional foul, instead SU just got the ball. He missed a thunder-dunk in traffic and was probably fouled. Other than that, he doesn't get a lot of opportunities unless he forces the issue and he's not really a selfish type of player, he rebounds or tips the ball and looks to pass. He had only one official steal, but he must have tipped the ball out of defenders offensive players' hands about a dozen times.
There are many ways to help your team. Hoping the team develops some effective passers to feed our inside players.

I’m sure there would be several teams that would give Benny another shot due to his size and HS ranking. However the better programs would likely know to stay away from him. It is probably better for Benny to be at a smaller program now to try to find and develop his game.

Louie McCroskey went to Marist as I recall...

Thanks for sharing, Consigliere. Lots of folks like myself are very much in the dark about Benny's transgressions and the reasons for his suspension and lack of playing time. But it's crazy how judgmental people can be based only on rumor and without knowing all the facts of the situation. That said, Benny's demeanor, body language and attitude on the bench, not to mention his selfish play on the court, is making it hard to root for him right now. Red obviously had a good reason to suspend him, but he also hasn't kicked him off the team...yet.
Good post, I agree with your thoughts. I am just frustrated with the entire Benny thing and ready for it to end. I had hoped at some point Judah would fill the role of leadership and being a friend of Benny's bring him back in line with how he could be a key part of this team. Not happening so far. Possibly Red still sees light at the end of the tunnel?

Maybe some time away during the winter break will help. Although that probably depends on who he will be surrounded by. What a shame this is. He can portal, but problems like this follow a person. I don't know... I'm still hoping that he can get things together and be a solid contributor on this team. Otherwise, it would be good if he did leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom