Bernie Fine | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bernie Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that the evidence was "so strong".
I think the university overreacted because of bad press, and the frenzy surrounding the s e xual abuse at Penn State.

We got smeared because ESPN didn't break the Penn State story and wanted one of their own.
I don't think the evidence was strong either. What I meant was that what he was being accused of was such a harsh crime.

I thought New York passed new laws on that? Claims from the 1970s have been popping back up in the old neighborhood with schools and a former Congressman.

I believe that was more related to civil lawsuits versus criminal charges, but don't quote me.

Well, Bernie never went to jail. So I think you can start there.
Neither did OJ.
The Bernie 'case,' though, has the kind of more-difficult-to-prove allegations, and an accuser of dubious credibility. No charges doesn't mean innocence.

Either way, i'm surprised there's any mention of a "stain" on JB. He did what any longtime friend would do. What a lot of our own posters did—circle the wagons and try to defend 'their own, because the accusations were so heinous and we all like to think we know someone.

Its an opinion so if you know it is incorrect please state why
syracuse used ineligible players in those games. that's why they were docked & that's why they will never be re-instated

syracuse used ineligible players in those games. that's why they were docked & that's why they will never be re-instated
Correct a private University bent there own internal rules and the NCAA decided to negate wins even though none of the NCAA rules were violated.

Correct a private University bent there own internal rules and the NCAA decided to negate wins even though none of the NCAA rules were violated.
that narrative is the last refuge of the dead ender fans

but at least you are not trying to defend your absurd claim that it had anything to do with bernie fine

that narrative is the last refuge of the dead ender fans

but at least you are not trying to defend your absurd claim that it had anything to do with bernie fine

The claim was never a direct one to one relationship, but the idea that the Bernie Fine "thing" was forgotten by then is a bit naive.

The New York Child Victims Act ("CVA")(1) extends New York's statute of limitations (SOL)to allow for criminal charges against sexual abusers of children until their victims turn 28 for felony cases, up from the previous age of 23; (2) allow victims to file civil action against their abusers and the institutions that enabled the abusers; and (3) opens up a one-year, one-time-only period to allow ALL victims to seek civil action, regardless of how long ago the abuse occurred. The window for these claims opens August 14, 2019 and closes August 14, 2020.

Since Bobby Davis and Mike Lang are older than 28 the SOL would still bar any criminal claims against Bernie. The CVA would open the window for Davis and/or Lang to bring a civil lawsuit against SU and Bernie. However, when SU and JB settled the slander lawsuit, SU may have insisted that the release include "all" claims. Therefore the slander settlement may prevent a new lawsuit against Bernie and SU. Obviously, you would have to see the release to know who was released and whether it was broad enough to include claims other than slander. I can't imagine Gloria Aldred (Davis' attorney) would leave money on the table. If she could sue Bernie and SU under the CVA, it would have been filed. FYI I just did a quick search on the Court system's electronic files and could not find any CVA lawsuits against SU.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm in 2011 all over again.

I just want everyone to know that my iPhone 4S is the bomb, I think Doug Marrone will be here for at least 20 years, I fully expect SU basketball to extend this run of dominance to the end of the decade, and I really enjoyed the recent Comedy Central Roasts of David Hasselhoff, Donald Trump and Charlie Sheen. I think Hasselhoff could be POTUS one day.

The New York Child Victims Act ("CVA")(1) extends New York's statute of limitations (SOL)to allow for criminal charges against s e xual abusers of children until their victims turn 28 for felony cases, up from the previous age of 23; (2) allow victims to file civil action against their abusers and the institutions that enabled the abusers; and (3) opens up a one-year, one-time-only period to allow ALL victims to seek civil action, regardless of how long ago the abuse occurred. The window for these claims opens August 14, 2019 and closes August 14, 2020.

Since Bobby Davis and Mike Lang are older than 28 the SOL would still bar any criminal claims against Bernie. The CVA would open the window for Davis and/or Lang to bring a civil lawsuit against SU and Bernie. However, when SU and JB settled the slander lawsuit, SU may have insisted that the release include "all" claims. Therefore the slander settlement may prevent a new lawsuit against Bernie and SU. Obviously, you would have to see the release to know who was released and whether it was broad enough to include claims other than slander. I can't imagine Gloria Aldred (Davis' attorney) would leave money on the table. If she could sue Bernie and SU under the CVA, it would have been filed. FYI I just did a quick search on the Court system' electronic files and could not find any CVA lawsuits against SU.

thats very well explained. Good info.

...Gloria Aldred (Davis' attorney) would leave money on the table.
That thought is laugh out loud material.
As the great Dr. John sang, "Ten will get you twenty she's only in it for the money."
The song could have been about her.

The New York Child Victims Act ("CVA")(1) extends New York's statute of limitations (SOL)to allow for criminal charges against s e xual abusers of children until their victims turn 28 for felony cases, up from the previous age of 23; (2) allow victims to file civil action against their abusers and the institutions that enabled the abusers; and (3) opens up a one-year, one-time-only period to allow ALL victims to seek civil action, regardless of how long ago the abuse occurred. The window for these claims opens August 14, 2019 and closes August 14, 2020.

Since Bobby Davis and Mike Lang are older than 28 the SOL would still bar any criminal claims against Bernie. The CVA would open the window for Davis and/or Lang to bring a civil lawsuit against SU and Bernie. However, when SU and JB settled the slander lawsuit, SU may have insisted that the release include "all" claims. Therefore the slander settlement may prevent a new lawsuit against Bernie and SU. Obviously, you would have to see the release to know who was released and whether it was broad enough to include claims other than slander. I can't imagine Gloria Aldred (Davis' attorney) would leave money on the table. If she could sue Bernie and SU under the CVA, it would have been filed. FYI I just did a quick search on the Court system's electronic files and could not find any CVA lawsuits against SU.
Plus, it didn't happen, so there is that.

Was the Fine Mess named in honor of Bernie? Honest question.

I'm not 100% positive this is the root of the name, but I strongly suspect it is. (Laurel and Hardy were a comedy team way back in the 1930's and 1940's)

"The famous catch phrase of Laurel and Hardy is often miss-quoted as " Well , here's another fine mess you've gotten us into " , the actual correct quote is " Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " .The newspapers are mostly to blame for the wrong quote , often putting the caption to go with a funny picture"

Last edited:
I'm not 100% positive this is the root of the name, but I strongly suspect it is. (Laurel and Hardy were a comedy team way back in the 1930's and 1940's)

"The famous catch phrase of Laurel and Hardy is often miss-quoted as " Well , here's another fine mess you've gotten us into " , the actual correct quote is " Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " .The newspapers are mostly to blame for the wrong quote , often putting the caption to go with a funny picture"

totally unrelated. The parking lot was the fine lot before the group coined the fine mess.

Well, by definition - the allegations weren’t all that strong, if no case could be made against him.

Which means there never would have been a jury.

Given the close proximity of these allegations right after State Penn and Sandusky had (finally!) come to light, and the resulting media firestorm- the University felt they had to let him go.

Was Bernie Fine a closeted gay man?
Almost certainly.
Did he have an intimate relationship with one of his accusers?
Ditto.

Did that intimate relationship start while the accuser was underage?
We will never know.

IF there was sufficient proof that it did, Bernie would have been charged.

He wasn’t.

The FBI raided his home & office, siezed his computers, phone records, the works.
And after all of that, he was not charged with any crime.

For him to not be charged criminally or in a civil matter and then go completely radio silent is odd to me. He must have zero pride if he didn’t want to clear his name. My working theory was he had a legit wrongful termination lawsuit that was settled bc he was wrongly outed as a gay man and fired for such .

it’s certainly an odd chapter for Boeheim and the school

edit: just read the statute so that explains that. Thank you

Another odd chapter was that brief era just after the millennial change.

I don't think Sandusky can do much more time than he already is doing. He's 75.

We could burn him at the stake, if Clintons got Epstein killed, why cant someone get Sandusky "hung"

Status
Not open for further replies.