Best Cuse player ever | Syracusefan.com

Best Cuse player ever

Chronological order is the way they’re listed…not the order of merit.

My order, beginning with what i actually saw:

Carmelo
Pearl / DC
Wallace / Billy Owens
GMac
Moten
Sherman
Warrick
CJ
Wes
Seikaly

Personally, Coleman for me all day, and it’s not really close. I would probably have Sherm over Moten, but I am a sucker for alley oops.
I get that. But imagine the Cuse player Carmelo would have been if he had played for three years.
….which I guess triggers the question: what does ‘best Cuse player‘ mean?

I get that. But imagine the Cuse player Carmelo would have been if he had played for three years.
All the praise to Melo is warranted. But if I’m recruiting my ultimate players, in hindsight I’d take a Gmac over a Melo all day. 4 years of fun, excitement, and growth.

For me, DC was a little bigger. Played 2 spots. More blocked shots, better rebounder (very narrow) a bit better ball handler. Melo, better shooter and scorer (not always the same thing). Both of them were incredibly smart players and were selfishly unselfish, if that makes sense. They were comfortable carrying the team, but never to the point of freezing out others or not playing within the team structure. (Owens is probably a mix of the 2 of them, but his teams never quite achieved what one would expect.) I fell incredibly lucky to have watched (all of) them play for SU.
To see this list on the same message board where people are talking about how good our current players are is sobering.

He has Billy Owens playing 4 years, if only he did. And he has Coleman coming off the bench is freshman season.

Seriously?
Mybe im not wording it correctly. Other than Melo, you big on one and doners? Everyone's faves list includes Coleman, Gmac, Sherm, Raf, Rony, etc. Anyone have Donte? Anyone have Ennis? My point is we have fond experiences with the guys that stay and grow and produce. I guess the better thing to have said is I'd take a four year active producer over a one and doner everytime.

My favorites
  1. Coleman
  2. Melo
  3. Pearl
  4. Wallace
  5. Sherm
  6. Hak
  7. Jason Hart
  8. Seikaly
  9. Owens
  10. Moten
  11. MCW
  12. Etan Thomas
  13. Wes Johnson, Waiters, Rautins, Arinze - it gets hard to pick
  14. Gmac
  15. Stevie
  16. Otis Hill
  17. Autry
  18. Luke Jackson
  19. Z
  20. Brandon Triche
So much fun over the years. I have a preference for big men who board and have post moves. Also prefer gritty guards, don't even need flash. Gotta have a few 6'6" slashers. Didn't really see Pearl (1 year before my time), so he gets an honorary spot. Also prefer the folks who led their team into Sweet 16s.

Hope Mintz climbs this list. Depending on team results and tenure, he could eventually crack the top 10.

1. Best single season Carmelo Anthony
2. Most important player in terms of building the program Pearl Washington
3. Best 4 year career it’s either Derrick Coleman or Sherman Douglas.
I personally would go with Douglas slightly over Coleman because great guard play matters more in college hoops.
4. Pre-Boeheim best player is obviously Dave Bing.

1. Best single season Carmelo Anthony
2. Most important player in terms of building the program Pearl Washington
3. Best 4 year career it’s either Derrick Coleman or Sherman Douglas.
I personally would go with Douglas slightly over Coleman because great guard play matters more in college hoops.
4. Pre-Boeheim best player is obviously Dave Bing.
Agree with all this with the exception of Bing being the best player pre-Boeheim. JB himself said Bing is the GOAT all-time of our program. His numbers were insane.

1673447135485.png

Mybe im not wording it correctly. Other than Melo, you big on one and doners? Everyone's faves list includes Coleman, Gmac, Sherm, Raf, Rony, etc. Anyone have Donte? Anyone have Ennis? My point is we have fond experiences with the guys that stay and grow and produce. I guess the better thing to have said is I'd take a four year active producer over a one and doner everytime.
I'd take a National Championship over four years of watching growth, and without Melo we have none. We needed G-Mac too there, but you need a superstar.

All the praise to Melo is warranted. But if I’m recruiting my ultimate players, in hindsight I’d take a Gmac over a Melo all day. 4 years of fun, excitement, and growth.
Lmao

Personally I don't get really caught up in how long they were here - topic of best player in school history leaves guys like Ennis and Donte way in the rear view mirror due to their game not their length of stay. I get your point I think Melo is the only one and done who remotely comes close to the list of best player so its sort of a moot point.

Hard to rank the first 3-4 these because you can put them in any order:

Coleman
Pearl
Melo
Sherman
Bing

Never saw Bing, so I put him on the side like I do NBA players I never saw but knew were ridic (like Russell, Wilt, etc).

To me, it's Melo. To be clear, my favorite is Sherm.

Melo had an offensive arsenal that was insane and won the chip.

Nothing against Sherm, Coleman or Pearl. I won't quibble with any selection including Bing, obviously, who may have the easiest argument.

It's a very good top five and you add in some of the others that people have mentioned, you really have an all time roster.

But Sherm was my guy. How spoiled is it to have your first favorite PG be Sherm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom