Best Cuse player ever | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Best Cuse player ever

That hurt. Triche missed the back end of one I think a possession earlier. I'll take DC's 19 boards.
Please dont misinterpret my post. I love DC - he was fabulous that game until the missed FTs. I do not blame DC for the loss, but the context of the post is our GOAT player and comparing DC to Melo within the context of a GOAT discussion, and the fact remains one guy won the title and the other guy did not.

Also, Rony dribbled a breakaway dunk off his knee in the first half.
If you're going to assign blame for a one-point loss to individual plays that happened throughout a game, you'd have a long list of culprits.

Yeah, Wallace gets overlooked in these conversations too often. Billy Owens put up better regular season stats, but Wallace was a winner in the tournaments. His senior year, he was the best player in college basketball for the last couple months of the season. He was super-human.
The '96 season is maybe my second favorite (at least most enjoyable). And there were so many magic moments: against GA - Cipolla's shot, Wallace's shot, etc. Against UK, Wallace getting us within a couple on a MEAN dunk, before hope is lost when he fouls out. Cuse is in the house. McNabb's antics on the sidelines, and that other dude who became an actor. Wallace lifted us on his back, and Z played well. Also Wallace tipped well (I was delivering pizza around campus at the time). And Wallace also gave us relevance after the dark days of probation. He came to us during probation, and then got us a F4 after probation. For these reasons, Wallace deserves to be high on the list. Honestly, he is probably my #2, but I ranked Melo higher for the NC and Pearl for everything he represented. I wasn't paying attention to SU in Pearls years, as I was not yet into basketball, or even sports. We didn't have cable, so I didn't see the games, and I wasn't yet playing sports myself.

Owens was one of the most skilled players we ever had, if not the most, but his teams didn't have the tourney success to justify being higher than other players in my list at least.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom