Best Jimmy B lines | Syracusefan.com

Best Jimmy B lines

kcsu

Living Legend
We all love our HOFamer for many reasons. At the top of many list would be his quotes/rants/and visuals. Ill start us off with one from last season regarding Frank.

" Frank went out of his way to prove he couldnt make a jump shot and i think he did a great job"

Have fun.

On Tyler Roberson after the Pitt game last year.

"If I had anyone else he wouldn't play a minute," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "You watched the game. I'm not going to describe what he did out there to you."

Everyone's favorite on Gerry:

"‘Without Gerry McNamara, we wouldn’t have won 10 --ing games this year. OK? Not 10. These other guys just aren’t ready. They needed him. Without him there, not 10. We wouldn’t be here to even have a chance to play this game. And everybody’s talking to me and writing to me about Gerry McNamara being overrated? That’s the most bulls--t thing I’ve seen in 30 years."

and also:

“Let the assistant coach come up to me and say, 'Gerry McNamara is overrated.' I'd like to see one of those guys come up to me and say that. He's been double-teamed all year, and the coaches voted him first team all-conference. The head coaches, they don't know (expletive), I guess.”

and:

“Gerry wouldn't let it get away. He was playing on about half-a-leg today. He amazes me every time I see him play. He's got more guts than anybody I've ever coached.”

Last edited:
Everyone's favorite on Gerry:

"‘Without Gerry McNamara, we wouldn’t have won 10 --ing games this year. OK? Not 10. These other guys just aren’t ready. They needed him. Without him there, not 10. We wouldn’t be here to even have a chance to play this game. And everybody’s talking to me and writing to me about Gerry McNamara being overrated? That’s the most bulls--t thing I’ve seen in 30 years."
Always found this funny.

BONUS: Best JB moment

IMG_0913.JPG

Given all the concerns about the number of unused scholarships next year, this gem seems appropriate.

“I'm never concerned about how many players a team has. Some of the best teams we've ever play only had five guys. In basketball, it's not about numbers, you don't need 10 guys, you only need five.”

I rarely disagree with Coach but posting this from Maui is one of those times

Boeheim and his first wife were vacationing in Hawaii with Rick Pitino, who was a Boeheim assistant before embarking on his own remarkable coaching career, and Pitino’s wife. As the four soaked in the Hawaiian sun, according to Scott Pitoniak’s insightful Boeheim biography, “Color Him Orange,” the conversation turned to which place on earth would be the perfect place to live. Pitino said Honolulu. Pitino’s wife said Park Avenue in New York City. Boeheim’s first wife, Elaine, said Paris.

And Boeheim? He said the not-quite-paradise of Syracuse, N.Y.

“Syracuse is like Hawaii for eight months of the year,” Boeheim explained to the incredulous group. “The other four months, I don’t care about the weather because we’re playing basketball.”

And then there's

“We’ve been coming here for 34 years,” Boeheim told reporters about Syracuse playing at Providence. “That’s a lot of history. Every one of these games is a little bit of sadness for me. I know where all the good restaurants are now, and now I’ve got to go down to Clemson, S.C. I’m sure there’s a couple of Denny’s down there. They’ll like me a lot now in Clemson. I like to make friends before I get down there.”

JB to Melo after the 2003 East Regional win over Oklahoma, "I love you."

JB on Pearl's death, "We've been fortunate,'' said Boeheim, choking back the tears. "We've had a lot of great players, but there's really only one …'' Boeheim paused to gather himself. "There's just one guy like him.''

"That's one more rebound than a dead man could get."

[asked about why Otis Hill played so well against Providence:] "Maybe he likes their uniforms or something."

[in response to being asked about something Rony Seikaly had griped about:] "Rony's always has a lot to say, but rarely is it worth paying attention to."

[in practice one time, when JB Reafsnyder dunked over Otis Hill, causing the team to go crazy in the middle of the scrimmage. JB gets annoyed after the carrying on lasts for about 10 seconds, and then blows his whistle:] "Settle down everybody! Congratulations, JB -- that's one dunk for you in your entire career, and 270 for the opposition when you're in the game! Now run it back!"

[this one isn't really a quote, but it was classic JB. On the Tonight Show after winning the national championship game, Leno asked him about whether Roy Williams was still the coach of Kansas, or would he go to UNC. JB sighed loudly, and looked down at his watch]

Last edited:
HT of Texas Final Four game, live interview from the court. "With Carmelo picking up his 3rd foul, what are your plans to rest him in the 2nd half?"..."he's going to get his rest now, at halftime". Then took off.

I love this quote! One of my all-time favorite interview moments with JB.

It was the epitome of the sideline reporter chick asking a dumb question on the way into the halftime locker room. JB gave her about 5 seconds and then headed off after making that response.

I actually think that the sideline reporter may have been Leslie Visser, who is pretty good, but it was a filler question that was a complete waste of time.

Boeheim was also pissed because it negated an offensive rebound dunk that Carmelo had -- instead of 2 points, he picked up his 3rd foul with about 18 seconds to go before the half, so he was annoyed.

But it was classic JB.

I don't remember the quote exactly, but his response to when someone asked him about Chris McCullough being a lottery pick was classic. He said something like "I have a better chance of winning the lottery , and I don't buy tickets ." LOL

"I always had the belief that if a team beats a team, they're better. Why would I think things are falling into place? I'm more concerned now, because Alabama beat Stanford. I watched Nevada beat Gonzaga today, and if I was playing Nevada, I'd be damn scared because they were the better team, clearly. If Alabama beat Stanford, they were the better team, and that scares me. Remember, this isn't an office pool, here. This is who plays the best."

Late March 2019:

"Two years ago a lot of people gave up on us, but here we are back in the championship game...it's amazing how much better a coach I am now than I was a month ago...or a year ago... (JB with big smile)"...​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom