Best prison films | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Best prison films

I am a big fan of Shawshank Redemption, but I have to go with Bridge On The River Kwai and Stalag 17. It's probably more nostalgia than anything else, but I remember as a child watching those movies with my grandfather. I guess for that reason, Westerns and WWII movies usually capture my interest.

inspired by all the love for Shawshank in another thread (love which I do not share, by the way; I think Shawshank is just an OK film, but that's just me).

Right off the top: the best prison film ever made was Cool Hand Luke.

my next three are sub-genres: Stalag 17 and Bridge On the River Kwai are prisoner of war flicks, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a mental ward, but McMurphy was a prisoner.

for number 5 I am going to list a guilty pleasure: Escape from New York.

Don't forget Papillon

I've never seen Cool Hand Luke. It was on AMC the other night, but the wife wasent down to watch it. Something I need to get on?
One of the classic scenes in any "prison" film.

One of the classic scenes in any "prison" film.

When I turned it on it was during a fight scene. "Just stay down"? Lasted 2 minutes and the wife got all mouthy (i never said that)

Ill have to record it the next time its on

edit- when I first replied the video wasent there. I was trying to guess what scene you were talking about lol.

I thoroughly enjoyed Let's Go to Prison.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

inspired by all the love for Shawshank in another thread (love which I do not share, by the way; I think Shawshank is just an OK film, but that's just me).

Right off the top: the best prison film ever made was Cool Hand Luke.

my next three are sub-genres: Stalag 17 and Bridge On the River Kwai are prisoner of war flicks, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a mental ward, but McMurphy was a prisoner.

for number 5 I am going to list a guilty pleasure: Escape from New York.
Do you like Gladiator movies Jimmy? ;)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Any one with Wendy O. Williams

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I can't believe I didn't mention this before, but The Great Escape. One of my all-time favorites.

I can't believe I didn't mention this before, but The Great Escape. One of my all-time favorites.
Awesome movie. When I took my kids to see "Chicken Run", I laughed out loud at the homage they did to the Great Escape.

Did anyone ever see the movie "The Last Castle" with Robert Redford and James Gandolfini. It's not really a great movie but the only reason I am mentioning it is because a kid i went to Oswego with was in it. It's got a great cast which grabs your interest, but besides that shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2146410240/tt0272020?ref_=tt_ov_i

My favorites were The Longest Yard (original only), Escape from Alcatraz and Birdman of Alcatraz. A couple others that you would not consider prison movies but had a prison theme were The Blues Brothers and The Deer Hunter (POW's).

Here is a list of over 290 prison movies

http://www.prisonmovies.net/prison-movies

Did anyone ask yet if "The New
Guy" counts as a prison movie? ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The green Mile, Victory, Midnight Express,

Glad someone finally mentioned "the great Escape" and Papillon