Best SU family | Syracusefan.com

Best SU family

Vshukla

Walk On
I always find myself in a bit of SU limbo this time of the year so I figured I would start a discussion.

Who is the best SU sports family? This could be parents and children, siblings, cousins etc? How you define best is up to you.

My initial thoughts are:

Boeheims – a very good 4-year player, a solid 1 year player, and (even though his playing career was nothing too special) possibly the most influential person in SU sports history.

Powells – 3 all time greats, all Americans, record setters and upholders of the legacy of 22.

Gaits – changed the game and Gary has a legitimate claim to being the best ever with Paul not far behind.

Owens – great performers in 2 different sports. Michael had possibly the most iconic play in SU football history and Billy may have had the best single season in SU basketball history (individually, not counting the team’s lack of post-season success his Jr year).

Jones – Chandler is a potential HOF and Art had a good career. Both won a Superbowl ring.

Any other families that come to mind?

I always find myself in a bit of SU limbo this time of the year so I figured I would start a discussion.

Who is the best SU sports family? This could be parents and children, siblings, cousins etc? How you define best is up to you.

My initial thoughts are:

Boeheims – a very good 4-year player, a solid 1 year player, and (even though his playing career was nothing too special) possibly the most influential person in SU sports history.

Powells – 3 all time greats, all Americans, record setters and upholders of the legacy of 22.

Gaits – changed the game and Gary has a legitimate claim to being the best ever with Paul not far behind.

Owens – great performers in 2 different sports. Michael had possibly the most iconic play in SU football history and Billy may have had the best single season in SU basketball history (individually, not counting the team’s lack of post-season success his Jr year).

Jones – Chandler is a potential HOF and Art had a good career. Both won a Superbowl ring.

Add Simmons to that list.

I would add...JAB SR to the Boeheim's. Playing and coaching right?
JAB Sr is who I meant when I referred to the most influential person in SU sports history.

My initial thoughts are:

Good list. Gary had a daughter that also played here.

Gotta include the Schwedes family. Ger was a key player on our only NC team in football and Scott was a really good WR who also had a nice NFL career.

The Triche family has given us two really good basketball players.

But I agree with Bees. The Simmons family is number one in my book. They have had an amazing impact on SU lacrosse, but also SU football and boxing.

Great call. Our most successful sports program is Men's Lacrosse and the Simmons family is synonymous with it.

They would get my vote.

Don’t forget Larry Csonka and Osgood Csonka.

by my last count we had about 40-50 football families over the years that were pretty easy to find.. a few more where names made it hard to recognize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom