Best vacation spots | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Best vacation spots

SW is another option from AK
Arches is mind boggling, lots of short hikes, good mtn biking around Moab. big crowds during tourist season
Bryce, also mind boggling with good hiking and big crowds during tourist season. Nice places to stay, high end cabins with their own hot tubs etc.
Escalante lots of slot canyons nearby good for horseback riding, more off the beaten path.
Canyonlands only place on this list I have not been at least once.
Monument Valley - OK
rafting below Powell Dam
Grand Canyon
Zion famous for Virgin River hike in the river through the slot canyon
SanteFe. Wife will love the old town shopping, funky restaurants etc, check out diners, drive ins and dives.
El Rio hotel in Gallup. Past its prime but a great period piece where all the old time movie stars used to stay while filming. I've stayed there more often than I care to admit over the last 4 months.

SW is another option from AK
Arches is mind boggling, lots of short hikes, good mtn biking around Moab. big crowds during tourist season
Bryce, also mind boggling with good hiking and big crowds during tourist season. Nice places to stay, high end cabins with their own hot tubs etc.
Escalante lots of slot canyons nearby good for horseback riding, more off the beaten path.
Canyonlands only place on this list I have not been at least once.
Monument Valley - OK
rafting below Powell Dam
Grand Canyon
Zion famous for Virgin River hike in the river through the slot canyon
SanteFe. Wife will love the old town shopping, funky restaurants etc, check out diners, drive ins and dives.
El Rio hotel in Gallup. Past its prime but a great period piece where all the old time movie stars used to stay while filming. I've stayed there more often than I care to admit over the last 4 months.

SW? I'm new here remember lol... Have you been up to the chena hot springs? Took the wife there for the anniversary.. Had to miss the ND game due to lack of cable there.. Real cool spot, nothing like watching someone's hair freeze white, -40 air, 100 degree water

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=64.848305,-147.866597

If we are talking about staying in the States, then San Diego all the way. I've only been once but within 30 minutes of getting off the plane I wanted to move there.

Another way to break up the Fab posts...

We need to go somewhere warm, this -30, -40 degree winter is killing me! I was thinking Hawaii, but I dont know anything about the different islands. The wife doesnt care where we go as long as its warm, and there is sunlight.

Where do you guys like to vacation?

Connecticut would be a good choice. I'm thinking of planting flowers on my deck any day now.

A cruise. Nothing better, not even close (IMO). 7 days to the Caribbean.

Bees, I remember being with cruise people in Hawaii one time. They were nervous, anxious, and worried about getting back to the boat. Meanwhile, we slowly drank our expensive glass of wine while eating fruit and enjoying the sunset. You're going to have to hard sell me on a cruise.

It hurts the pockets but Australia was freaking awesome when I went. The Sydney Opera House, scuba diving in the Great barrier reef and seeing the Aborigines was something I will never forget
I studied abroad there. Best time of my life, hands down. Words cannot describe it.

Bees, I remember being with cruise people in Hawaii one time. They were nervous, anxious, and worried about getting back to the boat. Meanwhile, we slowly drank our expensive glass of wine while eating fruit and enjoying the sunset. You're going to have to hard sell me on a cruise.

Yeah, not a cruise guy at all. Lame. In the states Key West. Climate basically the same as the Caribbean. You can get incredible giant pink shrimp and conch everywhere. The drive from Miami is awesome.

Not a huge fan of the southern part of Oahu - Honolulu. That's just personal preference but the other islands are great.

Anywhere all inclusive. Went to the moon palace resort in cancun in 2010 and it was great. I also love california. San francisco...san diego...monterey is incredible.

I also love vegas. For our 10 year in 2005 i booked the penthouse of all penthouse suites at the bellagio. It was the most amazing experience i have ever had. I got the gangster treatment the entire time. Pricey but well worth the memories. I think our room was bigger than my first home.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

If we are talking about staying in the States, then San Diego all the way. I've only been once but within 30 minutes of getting off the plane I wanted to move there.

This

SW? I'm new here remember lol... Have you been up to the chena hot springs? Took the wife there for the anniversary.. Had to miss the ND game due to lack of cable there.. Real cool spot, nothing like watching someone's hair freeze white, -40 air, 100 degree water

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=64.848305,-147.866597

SW as in AZ/UT/NM

Have not done Chena at -40, but I did Tahini at -30 (Whitehorse, Yukon Territory), not to mention many times in the summer along with White Sulphur (outer coast near Pelican), access only by small boat or chopper (Mirror Harbor is beautiful but a nightmare to navigate, rocks that require 90 degree turns and a lookout hanging over the bow - no published chart but the locals use a hand drawn one that looks like it came straight out of Portugal in the 16th century complete with hand drawn sea monsters), I chartered a chopper with 4 friends in the winter but it was toasty warm shirt sleeve weather on the outer coast, filled every inch of the A-Star with grub and beer, pilot said as long as he could take off he could carry the load; and Chief Shakes (Stikine River), a day after being charged by the largest grizzly I've ever seen, on the mud flats where the Iskut joins the Stikine in the Yukon, his charging snort sounded like a freight train, I was carrying my loaded 44 in my holster, next day made it 40 miles down river to the US and Chief Shakes hot springs, in my kayak, powered by adrenalin (only access is by small boat). There are also reliable hand drawn charts for Fords Terror (Endicott-Tracy Arm), and for Olivers Inlet on Admiralty Island (Fortress of the Bears).

For a winter escape, Ak Air makes it pretty easy to get to Hawaii but they also fly to Phoenix or you can take SW from SeaTac to get to Las Vegas or Albuquerque as long as you leave enough time for transfer. SW does not exchange bags with other airlines. When in the SW once you rent a car you have to return it to its original city or they tack on about $300 or $400 in fees.

Warm weather - Hawaii. Otherwise - Paris. Have lived in both and loved both.

We are going to Ko Olina and the Ritz Carlton Kapalua in May. So you like Ko Olina? My first time there.. was thinking of taking a puddle hopper to Molokai as well...

Ko Olina is beautiful and it is away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. Although I guess that could be good or bad depending on what you want to do.

Absolutely agree! Same temperature range year round. Close enough to go to LA or even LV for a weekend and enough do to in the city to keep you busy. If was to relocate, San Diego would be my destination without a doubt!

Living on Long Island for the past 10 years my favorite vaca spot is Montauk. So laid back, just a bunch of hotels on the beach, restaurants, quaint town with shops. Just a great spot to get away for a couple days/week with your girl.

Agree with everyone who said Hawaii. Stayed in Honolulu for about a week - great time. So much to see and do. Was about 4 years ago for 10 year anniversary and hoping to go back again next year for 15 year but going to try to hit some other islands as well.

Martha's Vineyard the Clay Cliffs are unbelievable. By far my favorite place to vacation.
cliffs_LG.jpg

Malibu and Sonoma valley are nice to.

To throw a darkhorse candidate in there, since moving to Utah my wife and I have become really partial to St. George. Great national parks, warm weather, sneaky cool little town. Cheap flight in and out of Vegas gives you a chance to enjoy some glitz but also hit up Wily Coyote scenery. If you're outdoorsy I highly recommend it.

Ko Olina is beautiful and it is away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. Although I guess that could be good or bad depending on what you want to do.
Ko Olina is truly beautiful. We stayed at Ko Olina Marriot, man it was great! If you want great food there, try Roy's right across the street, at the Ko Olina golf course.
But honestly, true Hawaii is the Big Island. Nothing like it. If you want to see what HI is truly about this is it. With 11 of the worlds 13 climates, and the size alone. You have real rain forests (Hilo), and snow on top of Mauna Kea (a 14er, 14,000' peak). Also cliff jumping off of South Point(the southern most place in the US), into the most beautiful water I've ever seen. And live flowing lava, which depending on the flow at the time, you can watch at night on top of Kilauea. Also some of the best snorkeling in HI. And a lot more.
State side, 1,000 islands hands down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom