BET Projections Vol 12.0 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BET Projections Vol 12.0

I want to beat Notre Dame I don't believe any Big East team has beaten all other 15 teams in 1 season since the expansion in 2005-2006. If we beat ND in the BET we will be the first team to do this, and it would be great history. Ideally we beat UConn, Notre Dame, and pop Georgetown in the BET final and Dr. Gross negotiates our way out of the Big East for 2013-2014 season.

I agree. I would love to see tem a third time. Aside from last year we really have owned them in the BET the past 5-6 years. Plus after two years ago when we were in the same position and lost I think we will come out pretty focused in the Thursday game.
I think the team & Boeheim are anxious to get to the tournaments. They're done with the preliminaries and ready for the finals and I don't think just getting there was the team's goal for the year. We're in for some great performances.

Here is in the Coaches Preseason Rankings. They really messed up Connecticut, Pitt, Notre Dame and Georgetown.
1. Connecticut (7) 209
1. Syracuse (5) 209
3. Louisville (3) 201
4. Pittsburgh (1) 188
5. Cincinnati 169
6. Marquette 155
7. West Virginia 132
8. Villanova 127
9. Notre Dame 114
10. Georgetown 104
11. Rutgers 75
12. St. John's 71
13. Seton Hall 56
14. USF 43
15. Providence 40
16. DePaul 27
They missed badly on Nova and USF, too.

Tough year for the coaches.

Five games in 5 days means fatigue and opportunities for injury. I'd rather play 3.

A straight 16 team tournament would be 4 games in 4 days. You get 5 games in 5 days, (as UCONN haqd last year) if you start getting fancy.

Providence has kinda owned UConn recently, and with that game in Providence I believe they will play UConn really tough and beat them. If PC beats UConn then WVU will finish ahead of them if they beat USF. The WVU@USF game assuming UConn loses 1 game will determine if we get WVU-SHU, or UConn-SHU in the quarterfinals.

Yah it seems like people "forgot" that Saturday's game was Uconn's national championship. They're just not that good. They could easily lose to either Providence or Seton Hall. Although if they do lose to PC they might still get the 9 as WVU is far from a lock to win @USF.

I want The Hall for our first game. What are we rooting for this week in order to see SHU on Thursday?

I want The Hall for our first game. What are we rooting for this week in order to see SHU on Thursday?

Well The Hall will probably beat DePaul to finish at 9-9. They cant finish any higher than that because Louisville and Cincy have 10 wins respectively.

Their opponent will be either Uconn or WVU. WVU has to finish a game ahead of Uconn because Uconn beat them. Uconn has Providence and Pitt and WVU has DePaul and USF. Its probably going to come down to the last game and Uconn will more than likely have to beat Pitt to get in the 9 slot. If there is a 3 way tie at 9-9 the standings will be SH at #8, Uconn at #9 and WVU at #10.

The only way Uconn falls to #10 is if they go 1-1 and WVU goes 2-0.

I always say that the sooner the team lose in the BET the better off they will be, I certainly don't root Syracuse to lose but I certainly really don't care as much if we lose a game in the BET as long as we aren't on the bubble. BET is played out

I always say that the sooner the team lose in the BET the better off they will be, I certainly don't root Syracuse to lose but I certainly really don't care as much if we lose a game in the BET as long as we aren't on the bubble. BET is played out

Why? Why would they be better off losing on Thursday or Friday than winning the BET? I don't get it. The 2009 team played the 6 OT game and then went to OT the next night as well and still won the first two games in the NCAAT. I don't buy that you get washed out by winning the BET. Plus, I want the BET championship!

Why? Why would they be better off losing on Thursday or Friday than winning the BET? I don't get it. The 2009 team played the 6 OT game and then went to OT the next night as well and still won the first two games in the NCAAT. I don't buy that you get washed out by winning the BET. Plus, I want the BET championship!

I think he meant if we are going to get beat, he would rather see it in the first game as opposed to the semi's or finals because we dont need it.

Yeah...it's bascially folklore. Actually, historically, tourney teams that perform better in the BET also make deeper runs in the dance. WVA won the BET two years ago and made it to the FF, UConn last year...etc.

Also, this golden rule which I don't agree with but no National Champion has ever lost their first game in their conference tournament and gone onto to win the National title. While I don't think this is an automatic I just don't want to hear from Thursday to Sunday on ESPN Gottlieb, Seth Davis, Digger etc. regurgitating this statement. So I want to win the BET not just get it on over. Plus, with our depth JB could give the bench some run and keep the team fresh for the following Thursday in Pittsburgh.

I think he meant if we are going to get beat, he would rather see it in the first game as opposed to the semi's or finals because we dont need it.

You think so? My interpretation is different based on the quote. :noidea:

Why? Why would they be better off losing on Thursday or Friday than winning the BET?

Beating UCONN three times would be very difficult. Doesn't anybody in Providence see that the double buy is a bad deal for the top teams in the conference? It's been proven you can win 5 games in five nights and still win the antional title. By "saving" the top teams you are ensuring that they will be playing a good team in their opener, one that has already won a game or two in the tournament. The top seeds are only 7-5 in the three years since this started and the #1 seed has lost the last two times.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket/_/id/55/2011-big-east-tournament

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket/_/id/5/2010-big-east-tournament

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Big_East_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

There is NO WAY that a double bye hurts the top teams - that's just silly. I think they 7-5 record has more to do with the lower seeds having more to play for.

I do think that the current structure helps the Bubble teams build a stronger resume for the NCAA Selection committee, becuase the 7/8/9 seeds get the benefit of an extra game(s) against lesser competition. Giving them a better oppty for that one or two more wins they might need to get in.

I want to beat Notre Dame I don't believe any Big East team has beaten all other 15 teams in 1 season since the expansion in 2005-2006. If we beat ND in the BET we will be the first team to do this, and it would be great history. Ideally we beat UConn, Notre Dame, and pop Georgetown in the BET final and Dr. Gross negotiates our way out of the Big East for 2013-2014 season.
I wanted to stay 1 more year but if we can pull that off I'd be down for leaving. Talk about leaving a conference on top...

If Seton Hall could have managed to beat that juggernaut Rutgers squad in Newark over the weekend we'd be having a pretty different conversation about next Thursday (and Seton Hall would be feeling a lot better about its tournament chances). Id definitely be nervous about SU/UCon round three. The price of a ticket for that session would also likely explode, not that it isn't already ridiculous for a Thursday afternoon session.

If Seton Hall could have managed to beat that juggernaut Rutgers squad in Newark over the weekend we'd be having a pretty different conversation about next Thursday (and Seton Hall would be feeling a lot better about its tournament chances). Id definitely be nervous about SU/UCon round three. The price of a ticket for that session would also likely explode, not that it isn't already ridiculous for a Thursday afternoon session.

I have been following the prices on StubHub and prices have come down quite a bit in the last week - about $50-$75 a ticket for level 400 for the semifinals. But, the session 5, Thursday noon and 2:30 are starting at $125 whereas the evening session is starting at $56.

There is NO WAY that a double bye hurts the top teams - that's just silly. I think they 7-5 record has more to do with the lower seeds having more to play for.

I do think that the current structure helps the Bubble teams build a stronger resume for the NCAA Selection committee, becuase the 7/8/9 seeds get the benefit of an extra game(s) against lesser competition. Giving them a better oppty for that one or two more wins they might need to get in.

What is silly is thinking that teams lose because they "have less to play for". These are competitive athletes. They hate losing. The 7-5 record is fully the product of having to play a good team that has already won a game or two in tournament. Per Real Time RPI, when we, as the #1 seed lost to Georgetown two years ago, we were opening the tournament by playing the 7th best team in the country. Last year, top seeded Pitt opened with Connecticut, who was #14 and would win the national championship. You don't think it hurts thew top teams to open up with someone like that?

By the way, I double checked: the record is actually 6-6. 9 of the 12 opponents have been ranked in the RPI top 50.

What is silly is thinking that teams lose because they "have less to play for". These are competitive athletes. They hate losing. The 7-5 record is fully the product of having to play a good team that has already won a game or two in tournament. Per Real Time RPI, when we, as the #1 seed lost to Georgetown two eyars ago, we were opening the torunament by playing the 7th best team in the country. Last year, top seeded Pitt opened with Connecticut, who was #14 and would win the national championship. You don't think it hurts thew top teams to open up with someone like that?

By the way, I double checked: the record is actually 6-6.

I agree. Show me another conference where the #1 seed has had brutal games in that Thursday at noon slot.

What is silly is thinking that teams lose because they "have less to play for". These are competitive athletes. They hate losing. The 7-5 record is fully the product of having to play a good team that has already won a game or two in tournament. Per Real Time RPI, when we, as the #1 seed lost to Georgetown two years ago, we were opening the tournament by playing the 7th best team in the country. Last year, top seeded Pitt opened with Connecticut, who was #14 and would win the national championship. You don't think it hurts thew top teams to open up with someone like that?

Well I think it's reasonable to figure the "playing teams as good as G'town & Uconn" part is a bigger factor in these minor upsets (and they are minor by definition) than the "open up" part.
Of course Boeheim would lead you to believe it's a huge deal to have a game under your belt vs a bottom feeder when he's the #1 seed, but I don't remember him making that same point when his team was the underdog in the quarters.

I said this when they first changed the format, and I think the results the last few years have proven that. I don't think the Big East has been significantly better, but we have gotten significantly more tournament teams since we let the lower seeded bubble teams get additional wins vs lower level competition. I honestly think the morons on the Committee reads "won first round in BET" and make that the little oomph to get the last Big East teams into the tournament. They are still crappy teams, but they are a little less crappy with 21 wins and 10-9 against Big East competition rather than 20 wins and .500 in conference.

When it's one of the best rivalries in the country, there are no-holds-barred. So I, for one, was not surprise Rutgers pulled the upset...

I can't believe I still think of that stupid ESPN article every time I see that RU is mentioned with SHU...

Also, this golden rule which I don't agree with but no National Champion has ever lost their first game in their conference tournament and gone onto to win the National title. While I don't think this is an automatic I just don't want to hear from Thursday to Sunday on ESPN Gottlieb, Seth Davis, Digger etc. regurgitating this statement. So I want to win the BET not just get it on over. Plus, with our depth JB could give the bench some run and keep the team fresh for the following Thursday in Pittsburgh.

I basically think the BET is a waste of time and the team would be better off with the rest IMO, In addition, every additional game you play opens you up to injury. The only thing that I really care about when it comes to the Syracuse basketball is the NCAA tournament.. This si what great programs are judged on. Look at Pitt, they have had 3-4 great regular seasons, yet UCONN makes a great run last year and wins it all. Take 1996 for instance, if this years team loses in the sweet 16, then what season is more successful? To me the 1996 season is far far more succesful. This is why I could care less about the BET, I couldn't tell you when we have won/lost etc in that thing. It's just a big waste of time and yesterday's news really, IMO It's nice to have a great regular season, but to me this team makes the final four/ finals or it's a bust.

We will never be truly elite program without better tournament play, look at Duke, Kansas, UNC, over the past 10 years and their runs in the tournament. Final fours, elite 8's, finals, etc. Not just national championships

I basically think the BET is a waste of time and the team would be better off with the rest IMO, In addition, every additional game you play opens you up to injury. The only thing that I really care about when it comes to the Syracuse basketball is the NCAA tournament.. This si what great programs are judged on. Look at Pitt, they have had 3-4 great regular seasons, yet UCONN makes a great run last year and wins it all. Take 1996 for instance, if this years team loses in the sweet 16, then what season is more successful? To me the 1996 season is far far more succesful. This is why I could care less about the BET, I couldn't tell you when we have won/lost etc in that thing. It's just a big waste of time and yesterday's news really, IMO It's nice to have a great regular season, but to me this team makes the final four/ finals or it's a bust.

We will never be truly elite program without better tournament play, look at Duke, Kansas, UNC, over the past 10 years and their runs in the tournament. Final fours, elite 8's, finals, etc. Not just national championships

Dude you are a good poster and I read all of your stuff but this one is not one of your best.

Seeing they will play one game in 12 days (day after the Uconn game until Thursday of the BET) I want these guys on the floor as much as they can next weekend.

Hey injuries happen. What happened to Arinze two years ago was a complete fluke. These guys could just as easily get hurt in practice. Of course the 1996 season is more successful , they went to the finals. Not really that hard to figure out. To say we need to rest because we dont want players to get hurt is just silly.

When you mention the schools like Duke , Kansas, UNC didnt they win their conference tourneys most of those years? You mention Kansas, take away the NC season a couple of years ago and has there been a more underachieving NCAA team given the talent they have and the seeds they were given?

If the only thing that matters is the NCAA tourney then why not just wait until March and turn on the TV? Why invest the last 4 months of your life to watching this team if a 3 week stretch in March is all that matters?

And I find it hard to believe that you didnt know we won the BET in 2005-2006 and the run in 2008. Please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom