BET Projections Vol 12.0 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

BET Projections Vol 12.0

Dude you are a good poster and I read all of your stuff but this one is not one of your best.

Seeing they will play one game in 12 days (day after the Uconn game until Thursday of the BET) I want these guys on the floor as much as they can next weekend.

Hey injuries happen. What happened to Arinze two years ago was a complete fluke. These guys could just as easily get hurt in practice. Of course the 1996 season is more successful , they went to the finals. Not really that hard to figure out. To say we need to rest because we dont want players to get hurt is just silly.

When you mention the schools like Duke , Kansas, UNC didnt they win their conference tourneys most of those years? You mention Kansas, take away the NC season a couple of years ago and has there been a more underachieving NCAA team given the talent they have and the seeds they were given?

If the only thing that matters is the NCAA tourney then why not just wait until March and turn on the TV? Why invest the last 4 months of your life to watching this team if a 3 weeks stretch in March is all that matters?

And I find it hard to believe that you didnt know we won the BET in 2005-2006 and the run in 2008. Please.
Agreed you play to win, but I bet if the team gets down I doubt JB would press and put the guys in stressful situations. The reason AO got hurt was the team was behind Georgetown and JB pressed to try and win that game. If he had it over again he wouldn't have pressed and played the game straight up and just accepted the loss. JB won't do that this year if we lose a game in the BET we lose, but JB won't press and put any players in danger. In the NCAA tournament JB will put all hands on deck, but in the BET you play to win, however you don't press and just play teams straight up.

Agreed you play to win, but I bet if the team gets down I doubt JB would press and put the guys in stressful situations. The reason AO got hurt was the team was behind Georgetown and JB pressed to try and win that game. If he had it over again he wouldn't have pressed and played the game straight up and just accepted the loss. JB won't do that this year if we lose a game in the BET we lose, but JB won't press and put any players in danger. In the NCAA tournament JB will put all hands on deck, but in the BET you play to win, however you don't press and just play teams straight up.

What happened to Arinze was just a fluke plain and simple. Players could get hurt on the opening tap, on a 2 on 1 fast break. Hell the Villanova guy got hurt in a shootaround by falling on a ball that got loose for crying out loud.

Play hard or go home.

Causation Correlation. Pressing puts players in danger? C'mon now.

What happened to Arinze was just a fluke plain and simple. Players could get hurt on the opening tap, on a 2 on 1 fast break. Hell the Villanova guy got hurt in a shootaround by falling on a ball that got loose for crying out loud.

Play hard or go home.
I am not disagreeing with you but I am saying if we are down 8 with 5 minutes to go I doubt JB presses. I want to win the BET and be the number 1 overall seed, but I doubt JB sees any benefits of going all hands on deck for the BET.

I am not disagreeing with you but I am saying if we are down 8 with 5 minutes to go I doubt JB presses. I want to win the BET and be the number 1 overall seed, but I doubt JB sees any benefits of going all hands on deck for the BET.

Yea I hear you. He may just do that though trying to simulate a possible NCAA situation. JB wants to win as much as anyone (even though he may not show it all the time) and I would actually be surprised if he did not go all hands on deck.

I am hoping for 3 30 point blowout wins to avoid any of these situations.

What is silly is thinking that teams lose because they "have less to play for". These are competitive athletes. They hate losing. The 7-5 record is fully the product of having to play a good team that has already won a game or two in tournament. Per Real Time RPI, when we, as the #1 seed lost to Georgetown two years ago, we were opening the tournament by playing the 7th best team in the country. Last year, top seeded Pitt opened with Connecticut, who was #14 and would win the national championship. You don't think it hurts thew top teams to open up with someone like that?

By the way, I double checked: the record is actually 6-6. 9 of the 12 opponents have been ranked in the RPI top 50.

I still don't buy it. If they did a tradional 16 team bracket, we'd (the #1)theoritically play the 8th seed in the second round after demolishing the 16th seed. I don't see how destroying DePaul a day earlier would make playing the #8 seed any easier...and It doesn't change anything for the #8 seed. They still had to play one game prior to facing the #1. If the #9 seed upset the #8 seed, they would only have had to play ONE GAME rather than having had to play 2 games in the current format.

If you're going to dismiss my comment about having just as much to play for, than I can just as easily dismiss the comment about the lower seeds having momentum becuase they just one a game or two against inferior competition. Yes these guys are athletes and compeitors and they want to win the BET, but clearly there eyes are on the real prize. You think Carmello is really upset he lost the BET in 2003?

Any season, there are some goals you want to achieve. Winning reg season and BET are on that list (along with winning a regional). Lots of our fans will be in NYC next week -- not going there to see a half-hearted effort. Have to expect our players will want to win, make the all-tourney team.

Make a run through UConn, ND, and whoever -- best prep for the NCAAs.

Play hard or go home.

Arinze's injury occurred in our first game so playign 3 games intstead of four had nothing to do with it.

I still don't buy it. If they did a tradional 16 team bracket, we'd (the #1)theoritically play the 8th seed in the second round after demolishing the 16th seed. I don't see how destroying DePaul a day earlier would make playing the #8 seed any easier...and It doesn't change anything for the #8 seed. They still had to play one game prior to facing the #1. If the #9 seed upset the #8 seed, they would only have had to play ONE GAME rather than having had to play 2 games in the current format.

If you're going to dismiss my comment about having just as much to play for, than I can just as easily dismiss the comment about the lower seeds having momentum becuase they just one a game or two against inferior competition. Yes these guys are athletes and compeitors and they want to win the BET, but clearly there eyes are on the real prize. You think Carmello is really upset he lost the BET in 2003?

I think Carmelo would have preferred to win the BET. But I doubt he's thinking about it much these days.

You can dismiss whatever you want. It doesn't change the truth of the amtter. I think having momentum, (and being stale because you haven't played) is an issue. I think players not caring if they win is not.

I think the biggest issue for the upsets in the 1st round of the BET is simply having 16 teams, league depth, and parity. In the old days, and in many conferences today, the 8/9 seeds were simply not a good team. Today, the 8/9 seed is likely a 5 or 6 (or higher) seed in the NCAAs, and was in and out of the top 25 for much of the season. Combined with the #1 BE team not being as dominant, the 8 beating the 1 isn't the upset it sounds like on paper. It is easy to look at the double-bye, but personally I think that with or without it these are tough games.

in the regular season game with Georgetown in 2010, if I remember they were up something like 15-0, at home before SU went on a crazy run, so it isn't like they couldn't play, even though SU had a great year.

Up until 1994, (before the expansion started) no one was complaining that the 8/9 took place on Thursday night, and had played a game before playing the #1.

I think the biggest issue for the upsets in the 1st round of the BET is simply having 16 teams, league depth, and parity. In the old days, and in many conferences today, the 8/9 seeds were simply not a good team. Today, the 8/9 seed is likely a 5 or 6 (or higher) seed in the NCAAs, and was in and out of the top 25 for much of the season. Combined with the #1 BE team not being as dominant, the 8 beating the 1 isn't the upset it sounds like on paper. It is easy to look at the double-bye, but personally I think that with or without it these are tough games.

in the regular season game with Georgetown in 2010, if I remember they were up something like 15-0, at home before SU went on a crazy run, so it isn't like they couldn't play, even though SU had a great year.

Up until 1994, (before the expansion started) no one was complaining that the 8/9 took place on Thursday night, and had played a game before playing the #1.
Ah the heyday of the BET. The 8/9 game on a Thursday night. Then the quarter finals were always on Friday, Semi's Saturday afternoon and the finals on Sunday afternoon. Throw in the Knicks home game on that Saturday night and it used to be an incredible weekend (still is just different).

Ah the heyday of the BET. The 8/9 game on a Thursday night. Then the quarter finals were always on Friday, Semi's Saturday afternoon and the finals on Sunday afternoon. Throw in the Knicks home game on that Saturday night and it used to be an incredible weekend (still is just different).
The 8/9 game used to be a joke. Prior to Calhoun, it felt like it was UConn vs BC every year, and it was just to see who would get slaughtered the next day. Even when they added a 7/10 game, and Miami became a regular participant, that game was a joke as well.

Times certainly have changed.

Quarterfinal friday was awesome, you had the acc quarterfinals on friday too (they still are i think). I remember coming hope from grammar school for lunch around noon when the games were tipping off and being depressed i had to go back to school. Id always come down with a cold the following friday for the ncaa's.

Providence has kinda owned UConn recently, and with that game in Providence I believe they will play UConn really tough and beat them. If PC beats UConn then WVU will finish ahead of them if they beat USF. The WVU@USF game assuming UConn loses 1 game will determine if we get WVU-SHU, or UConn-SHU in the quarterfinals.

This is if WVU can go into USF and beat them at home. Tall order for WVU this year.

You can dismiss whatever you want. It doesn't change the truth of the amtter. I think having momentum, (and being stale because you haven't played) is an issue. I think players not caring if they win is not.

Could just be small sample size? I am not sure winning a game the day before makes you more likely to be a team the next day.

Edit: (I am an idiot)

So the top seeds are 7-5; what is their expected record? 9 wins? Doesn;'t seem like that big a stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom