Better/Worse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Better/Worse

No. I saw Ish coming. I don't see anything obvious on that level this year. I'm definitely not saying that it won't happen. I just don't see where/how yet.

Well my point is Amba's year I don't think anyone expected that type of production.

Ish last year was easier to predict thanks to Amba. But Ish had his issues in 2016, so I wouldn't think it was a consensus he was going to produce like Amba did - just that he was most likely.

I think in '18 we are going to see a more spread out attack. Butler is the obvious choice to produce the most but we shall see

No. I saw Ish coming. I don't see anything obvious on that level this year. I'm definitely not saying that it won't happen. I just don't see where/how yet.

Everyone knew he’d be ok. He’d been ok for 3 years. We didn’t know he’d take a leap to where he got.

Everyone knew he’d be ok. He’d been ok for 3 years. We didn’t know he’d take a leap to where he got.
Speak for yourself. I was very confident that he'd be very good.

I don't have that degree of confidence in anyone on the team right now.

I'll make a leap - Sharod Johnson will be great.

Top returning Pass Catchers

WR Butler - 33/327
TE Pierce - 29/263
RB Neal - 12/170
RB Strickland - 18/142
WR Riley - 8/125
WR Custis - 8/120
WR NJohnson - 8/68
RB Perkins - 2/14
RB Pierre - 1/6

119 / 1235 yds - 9 TDs

Redshirt Freshman

Russell Thompson Bishop 6'1 200
Cameron Jordan 6'3 195
Sharod Johnson 5'11 170

Freshman

Ed Hendrix 6'3 195
Anthony Queeley 6'2 195
Taj Harris 6'2 175
Cooper Lutz 6'0 190

QB -- BETTER -- Dungey showed improved command of the offense last year, and will be even better in year 3. Question is, can he stay upright. If not, Devito is a massive upgrade over Mahoney at backup, and is the QB of the future. Culpepper started a game last year - substantially improved depth at this position, compared to where we've been the previous two years. Amie--a signing day addition--gets to redshirt and learn, before challenging this much improved nucleus of players ahead of him. +

RB -- BETTER -- Strickland got better over course of season, Pierre is a bigger back who needs to bounce back from early fumble that parked him on the bench. Howard / Dixon bolster depth, and give us more power. RB improvement will be tied at the hip to OL improvement, but future is even brighter with Oklahoma transfer [and home run threat] Adams available in 2019. Question: does Moe Neal project at RB or in the slot? +

WR -- WORSE -- Ishmael and Philips were amongst the most prolific receivers in program history. Replacing both will be difficult There's talent there [Butler] that hasn't been actualized yet. Need several players to emerge here -- my guess is that they will, but right now that is an unknown. The incoming crop of class of 2018 recruits at this position are the best haul we've had in a LONG time. +

TE -- BETTER -- Pierce was everything he was cracked up to be, and should be substantially better now that he's got a year in the system under his belt. He just needs to cut down on stupid penalties. Depth will be better over 2017 with Hackett and Elmore, to say nothing of transfer Jesse Connors, behind Pierce. Need to improve the raw materials in the pipeline here to set the table for the future; only TE from class of 2018 [Horan] likely projects as an OT in college. ---

OL -- BETTER -- Four returning starters, including two were were RF last year, took their lumps, but accorded themselves fairly well. Only hole to fill in is RT. If we land a late 5th year transfer, this group could really pop. Roberts [injured in 2017] will be seeking to reintegrate to a solid nucleus. Depth should be better behind starters than in years past. We're redshirting incoming frosh, the the pipeline looks better than it has in a LONG time at OL. +

DE -- BETTER -- Last year's absurd injury situation ransacked this position. Robinson was a freaking godsend, who lived up to his impressive HS ratings. Berry was another solid guy, despite being forced to play too many snaps. Coleman returns from injury, and should have a big year. Black might shift inside. Pickard returns from injury, after missing practically the whole year. Kingsley Jonathan has future starting potential. Zach Morton will be a RF. Walton, Guthrie, and Justin Ellis provide quality depth. Numbers are much better at DE this year, and this unit should be improved on that basis alone. +

DT -- SAME-- Losing Steve Clark hurt depth, but this group accorded itself well. Slayton is a very good player, who might project to the next level. Mount McKinley looks like a prospective stud, and players like Ruff / Harper give us quality behind the starters. Might we see an offseason surprise [either a JUCO or 5th year transfer] to bolster the ranks? Does a player like Elmore shift over to DT? If not, a guy like Grosvenor might find his way onto the field in a reserve capacity. I like the raw materials, but an injury to Slayton or McKinley would be disastrous here, and this is one of the few positional units on the team pipeline is not stocked well for the long term [TE being the other]. ---

LB --
WORSE -- I like the raw materials we have at LB, but we need to replace an awful lot of productivity in Bennett / Franklin, and all three starters. It's anybody's guess how the newbies will perform, and which positions they project to. BUT there is a lot of young talent, and it is certainly possible that this group could develop into a position of strength once the group gets some game experience under their belts as opposed to being perceived as a liability. Lots of options here -- that's the good news. +

CB --
BETTER -- Fredrick and Bradshaw are a competent nucleus, and depth is going a much needed infusion of talent / size / athleticism from the redshirt frosh -- in particular, Coley and Melifonwu. If they learn the ropes quickly, we'll have better depth / talent here than in a long time. +

S --
WORSE -- I like Antwan Cordy. The problem is, Cordy can't stay healthy. If he can, then he nails down one safety spot. Jordan Martin performed impressively last year at FS, and his productivity will be hard to replace. Foster is an incumbent who started part of the season, but is no lock to return if his coverage ability doesn't improve. Williams looks overmatched, but provides depth. Does Carl Jones project into the mix here or at CB? Does Stritziner shift to this side of the field? This is another position where frosh might see the field. ---

+ = long term outlook trending positively for this position, based upon recruiting

--- = Need to do a better job stocking the pipeline at this positional unit on the recruiting trail

Last edited:
QB -- BETTER -- Dungey showed improved command of the offense last year, and will be even better in year 3. Question is, can he stay upright. If not, Devito is a massive upgrade over Mahoney at backup, and is the QB of the future. Culpepper started a game last year - substantially improved depth at this position, compared to where we've been the previous two years. Amie--a signing day addition--gets to redshirt and learn, before challenging this much improved nucleus of players ahead of him.

RB -- BETTER -- Strickland got better over course of season, Pierre is a bigger back who needs to bounce back from early fumble that parked him on the bench. Howard / Dixon bolster depth, and give us more power. RB improvement will be tied at the hip to OL improvement, but future is even brighter with Oklahoma transfer [and home run threat] Adams available in 2019. Question: does Moe Neal project at RB or in the slot?

WR -- WORSE -- Ishmael and Philips were amongst the most prolific receivers in program history. Replacing both will be difficult There's talent there [Butler] that hasn't been actualized yet. Need several players to emerge here -- my guess is that they will, but right now that is an unknown.

TE -- BETTER -- Pierce was everything he was cracked up to be, and should be substantially better now that he's got a year in the system under his belt. He just needs to cut down on stupid penalties. Depth will be better over 2017 with Hackett and Elmore, to say nothing of transfer Jesse Connors, behind Pierce. Need to improve the raw materials in the pipeline here to set the table for the future; only TE from class of 2018 [Horan] likely projects as an OT in college.

OL -- BETTER -- Four returning starters, including two were were RF last year, took their lumps, but accorded themselves fairly well. Only hole to fill in is RT. If we land a late 5th year transfer, this group could really pop. Roberts [injured in 2017] will be seeking to reintegrate to a solid nucleus. Depth should be better behind starters than in years past. We're redshirting incoming frosh, the the pipeline looks better than it has in a LONG time at OL.

DE -- BETTER -- Last year's absurd injury situation ransacked this position. Robinson was a freaking godsend, who lived up to his impressive HS ratings. Berry was another solid guy, despite being forced to play too many snaps. Coleman returns from injury, and should have a big year. Black might shift inside. Pickard returns from injury, after missing practically the whole year. Kingsley Jonathan has future starting potential. Zach Morton will be a RF. Walton, Guthrie, and Justin Ellis provide quality depth. Numbers are much better at DE this year, and this unit should be improved on that basis alone.

DT -- SAME-- Losing Steve Clark hurt depth, but this group accorded itself well. Slayton is a very good player, who might project to the next level. Mount McKinley looks like a prospective stud, and players like Ruff / Harper give us quality behind the starters. Might we see an offseason surprise [either a JUCO or 5th year transfer] to bolster the ranks? Does a player like Elmore shift over to DT? If not, a guy like Grosvenor might find his way onto the field in a reserve capacity. I like the raw materials, but an injury to Slayton or McKinley would be disastrous here, and this is one of the few positional units on the team pipeline is not stocked well for the long term [TE being the other].

LB --
WORSE -- I like the raw materials we have at LB, but we need to replace an awful lot of productivity in Bennett / Franklin, and all three starters. It's anybody's guess how the newbies will perform, and which positions they project to. BUT there is a lot of young talent, and it is certainly possible that this group could develop into a position of strength once the group gets some game experience under their belts as opposed to being perceived as a liability. Lots of options here -- that's the good news.

CB --
BETTER -- Fredrick and Bradshaw are a competent nucleus, and depth is going a much needed infusion of talent / size / athleticism from the redshirt frosh -- in particular, Coley and Melifonwu. If they learn the ropes quickly, we'll have better depth / talent here than in a long time.

S --
WORSE -- I like Antwan Cordy. The problem is, Cordy can't stay healthy. If he can, then he nails down one safety spot. Jordan Martin performed impressively last year at FS, and his productivity will be hard to replace. Foster is an incumbent who started part of the season, but is no lock to return if his coverage ability doesn't improve. Williams looks overmatched, but provides depth. Does Carl Jones project into the mix here or at CB? This is another position where frosh might see the field.
Excellent summary of the way things stand going into next year. I was about to hop on the "Babers must win 6 games" bandwagon but the question mark areas are critical. If WR, LB and S don't come around, not to speak of the areas that SHOULD be improved, 6 wins may be too big a stretch next year.

QB -- BETTER -- Dungey showed improved command of the offense last year, and will be even better in year 3. Question is, can he stay upright. If not, Devito is a massive upgrade over Mahoney at backup, and is the QB of the future. Culpepper started a game last year - substantially improved depth at this position, compared to where we've been the previous two years. Amie--a signing day addition--gets to redshirt and learn, before challenging this much improved nucleus of players ahead of him. +

RB -- BETTER -- Strickland got better over course of season, Pierre is a bigger back who needs to bounce back from early fumble that parked him on the bench. Howard / Dixon bolster depth, and give us more power. RB improvement will be tied at the hip to OL improvement, but future is even brighter with Oklahoma transfer [and home run threat] Adams available in 2019. Question: does Moe Neal project at RB or in the slot? +

WR -- WORSE -- Ishmael and Philips were amongst the most prolific receivers in program history. Replacing both will be difficult There's talent there [Butler] that hasn't been actualized yet. Need several players to emerge here -- my guess is that they will, but right now that is an unknown. The incoming crop of class of 2018 recruits at this position are the best haul we've had in a LONG time. +

TE -- BETTER -- Pierce was everything he was cracked up to be, and should be substantially better now that he's got a year in the system under his belt. He just needs to cut down on stupid penalties. Depth will be better over 2017 with Hackett and Elmore, to say nothing of transfer Jesse Connors, behind Pierce. Need to improve the raw materials in the pipeline here to set the table for the future; only TE from class of 2018 [Horan] likely projects as an OT in college. ---

OL -- BETTER -- Four returning starters, including two were were RF last year, took their lumps, but accorded themselves fairly well. Only hole to fill in is RT. If we land a late 5th year transfer, this group could really pop. Roberts [injured in 2017] will be seeking to reintegrate to a solid nucleus. Depth should be better behind starters than in years past. We're redshirting incoming frosh, the the pipeline looks better than it has in a LONG time at OL. +

DE -- BETTER -- Last year's absurd injury situation ransacked this position. Robinson was a freaking godsend, who lived up to his impressive HS ratings. Berry was another solid guy, despite being forced to play too many snaps. Coleman returns from injury, and should have a big year. Black might shift inside. Pickard returns from injury, after missing practically the whole year. Kingsley Jonathan has future starting potential. Zach Morton will be a RF. Walton, Guthrie, and Justin Ellis provide quality depth. Numbers are much better at DE this year, and this unit should be improved on that basis alone. +

DT -- SAME-- Losing Steve Clark hurt depth, but this group accorded itself well. Slayton is a very good player, who might project to the next level. Mount McKinley looks like a prospective stud, and players like Ruff / Harper give us quality behind the starters. Might we see an offseason surprise [either a JUCO or 5th year transfer] to bolster the ranks? Does a player like Elmore shift over to DT? If not, a guy like Grosvenor might find his way onto the field in a reserve capacity. I like the raw materials, but an injury to Slayton or McKinley would be disastrous here, and this is one of the few positional units on the team pipeline is not stocked well for the long term [TE being the other]. ---

LB --
WORSE -- I like the raw materials we have at LB, but we need to replace an awful lot of productivity in Bennett / Franklin, and all three starters. It's anybody's guess how the newbies will perform, and which positions they project to. BUT there is a lot of young talent, and it is certainly possible that this group could develop into a position of strength once the group gets some game experience under their belts as opposed to being perceived as a liability. Lots of options here -- that's the good news. +

CB --
BETTER -- Fredrick and Bradshaw are a competent nucleus, and depth is going a much needed infusion of talent / size / athleticism from the redshirt frosh -- in particular, Coley and Melifonwu. If they learn the ropes quickly, we'll have better depth / talent here than in a long time. +

S --
WORSE -- I like Antwan Cordy. The problem is, Cordy can't stay healthy. If he can, then he nails down one safety spot. Jordan Martin performed impressively last year at FS, and his productivity will be hard to replace. Foster is an incumbent who started part of the season, but is no lock to return if his coverage ability doesn't improve. Williams looks overmatched, but provides depth. Does Carl Jones project into the mix here or at CB? Does Stritziner shift to this side of the field? This is another position where frosh might see the field. ---

+ = long term outlook trending positively for this position, based upon recruiting

--- = Need to do a better job stocking the pipeline at this positional unit on the recruiting trail

im pretty sure foster started every game

im pretty sure foster started every game
Correct. He did.

upload_2018-2-12_18-18-50.png

Speak for yourself. I was very confident that he'd be very good.

I don't have that degree of confidence in anyone on the team right now.

Ok. I too thought he’d be very good. Go back and check if you’d like. Most shared that opinion.

But each offseason *some* people ask some form of “oh no, who will step up at WR” ... *not you, I guess* ... but *for me* the staff has earned some measure of trust at least at WR

Ok. I too thought he’d be very good. Go back and check if you’d like. Most shared that opinion.

But each offseason *some* people ask some form of “oh no, who will step up at WR” ... *not you, I guess* ... but *for me* the staff has earned some measure of trust at least at WR
I agree that the staff has earned some trust but Ishmael had shown a lot more proof of potential going into 2017 than Butler or Custis has coming into 2018. I think a player or two will step up but not to the same degree. I think we will be decent at WR but still a little step down from last year needing to replace the production of both Ishmael and Erv. That unit gets a worse for me.

Ishmael
upload_2018-2-14_12-44-34.png

Butler
upload_2018-2-14_12-45-41.png

Custis
upload_2018-2-14_12-46-12.png

I agree that the staff has earned some trust but Ishmael had shown a lot more proof of potential going into 2017 than Butler or Custis has coming into 2018. ...

Yes, after Etta-Tawo moved on, Ishmael was posed to be highly productive in 2017.
Ishmeal was a strong, intermediate receiver. But he was not the ideal deep threat -- only 7 TDs. Butler can expand his role as an intermediate threat, Pierce can increase his productivity, maybe Custis can contribute. What we need is a speedy outside receiver (or two) opposite Butler, and we also need a slot receiver to emerge.
Can Sherrod Johnson, or one of the other two Rs-F, provide that speedy outside threat, with the potential for more than 7 TDs? Or, with 3 or 4 open roster spots, can Babers find a grad transfer outside receiver?
Might be the #1 issue in the success of this team in 2018.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom