Beyond the fact the referees were brutal why wasn't Dungey allowed back in after the timeout? | Syracusefan.com

Beyond the fact the referees were brutal why wasn't Dungey allowed back in after the timeout?

Alsacs

Living Legend
The refs absolutely butchered this game.
They spotted our ball back a yard almost every spot.
They gave LSU every single break on spotting the ball.

The announcers were beyond brutal on this stuff.

Anyway Dungey takes off his helmet and has to go out a play fine.
However we called a timeout. Thus the rule should have allowed Dungey back in.

Football rules changes to watch for this fall

These ACC refs were the worst crew we have ever had.
Honestly it was so frustrating as LSU didn't need anymore help.

I thought I heard in game that it was an SEC crew, did I hear incorrectly?

The other play that stands out was when earlier in the game, SU lined up to go for it on 4th and short (intending a quick snap, as they did successfully later in the game), but the official stood over the ball and didn't allow us to snap it. We hadn't substituted, so there as no reason for the official to do this. Babers was really upset on the sidelines.

Also, when we ran a QB sneak (or maybe it was an inside run, can't recall) on 1st down even though we already had the 1st because the chains were moved but they switched the down marker to 3rd instead of 1st.

Erv also got bear hugged by a DB on a throw down the sideline, not sure what happened there.

The clock operators were letting time come off when they shouldn’t at various points in the game. Probably totally on the level.
There was one play in the 4th where Neal clearly got out of bounds and the clock never stopped. Really odd.

Rewatching that play the refs said it was 3rd down and it was actually first down and Dungey did a sneak.
WTH refs.

I honestly hate bringing zebras up as we typically lose ourselves but OMG did they kill us all night.

The last series SU tackles Williams at the 30 and the freaking ref gave him forward progress at the 27. Even the announcer said what was that.

He took off his own helmet to I didn't know you couldn't do that.

The other play that stands out was when earlier in the game, SU lined up to go for it on 4th and short (intending a quick snap, as they did successfully later in the game), but the official stood over the ball and didn't allow us to snap it. We hadn't substituted, so there as no reason for the official to do this. Babers was really upset on the sidelines.

Babers went ballistic on the sideline about that

The pass interference was obvious on that play. It was no different than what Fredericks did and was called for PI. Also on the interception Dungey threw that was later ruled incomplete, the referee was standing right in front of the ball rolling on the ground and still called it an interception. It was later reviewed and was overruled, but what the f@&k. Those refs were bad.

Honestly, we were lucky Dungey only had to miss a play... should've been a 15-yd penalty for taking off his helmet.
It should have been off setting penalties. LSU #40 kneed him after he slid.

The refs were brutal all night.

Honestly, we were lucky Dungey only had to miss a play... should've been a 15-yd penalty for taking off his helmet.
We were lucky Dungey wasn't ejected for attempting to rip the LSU player's head off following his pick-6 on the 1st play. This hasn't been discussed much on the board, & he seems like a great kid off the field but, as with almost anything on any team's board, had an opposing player made the EXACT same play on one of our guys, this board would be in full riot mode & many would be calling for a suspension & possibly assault charges. Do I think there was intent to injure? No. Do I think he lost his cool & made a dirty play? Yes. & it's not the 1st time...

Last edited:
It should have been off setting penalties. LSU #40 kneed him after he slid.

The refs were brutal all night.
I Think the refs were brutal as well. But, I think that kid did just about everything possible to avoid contact. It still could be called a penalty though.

We were lucky Dungey wasn't ejected for attempting to rip the LSU player's head off following his pick-6 on the 1st play. This hasn't been discussed much on the board, & he seems like a great kid off the field but, as with almost anything on any team's board, had an opposing player made the EXACT same play on one of our guys, this board would be in full riot mode & many would be calling for a suspension & possibly assault charges. Do I think there was intent to injure? No. Do I think he lost his cool & made a dirty play? Yes. & it's not the 1st time...

Why would anyone be ejected for that? And I'm serious. He did go hi but I thought he misses the shoulder and gets the face mask. I've seen that happen before and I've never seen anyone ejected for it.

Why would anyone be ejected for that? And I'm serious. He did go hi but I thought he misses the shoulder and gets the face mask. I've seen that happen before and I've never seen anyone ejected for it.

I felt that way at the time. But after doing some further reading, looks like it could very well have been called targeting.

Hang on. Read the NCAA's targeting rule.

Agree completely

I went back & forth on it but came to the conclusion that grabbing & jerking a facemask around at full speed, enough to twist the helmet & neck as he did, whether intentional or not, is not all that different from many of these unintentional blows to the head that players are getting tossed for each week. Intent is really no longer considered when it comes to targeting. Dungey's a great kid but lost his cool, it happens. I guess I'll put it this way...if he's chasing that guy following another player's fumble & not his own INT, I'm not sure he goes high in the manner in which he did. Maybe I'm wrong.

The clock operators were letting time come off when they shouldn’t at various points in the game. Probably totally on the level.
I think there's a lot of inconsistency with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom