Big 12's split into divisions on hold as NCAA proposal aims to remove conference title game restrictions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12's split into divisions on hold as NCAA proposal aims to remove conference title game restrictions

C'mon ACC, enough talk, take action. Scrap the divisions.

They gonna do it
They almost certainly are trying to get ESPN to agree that the ACC is grossly underpaid per total number of national TV viewers in the 2 revenue sports, and they are arguing that the more to a more varied schedule itself deserves a considerable revenue hike. I now think that ESPN is prepared to screw the ACC indefinitely.

They almost certainly are trying to get ESPN to agree that the ACC is grossly underpaid per total number of national TV viewers in the 2 revenue sports, and they are arguing that the more to a more varied schedule itself deserves a considerable revenue hike. I now think that ESPN is prepared to screw the ACC indefinitely.
I'm liking this except for the very last sentence

I hope we don’t get shafted with Louisville as one of our 3 but I think it’s inevitable. Great news otherwise.
My preference for 3 would be Pitt, BC, and VT, teams we have a history with. Also teams we have a chance of winning the games. Let BC or Pitt get Miami or Florida St as their 3rd.
We don't need to end up some years playing both Miami, and Florida St.

I do not think Louisville wants SU, and vice versa. There are a lot of other options for them. That being said they likely get last choice which really is the only reason why SU is even a possibility.

And we are assuming 3+5/5. IMO 4+ works better even though it is not "even." You still get every team 4x every 9 seasons. Much better than 2x over 12 seasons. And you get to keep everyone happy with their yearly rivalries. Wake playing UNC every other year is better than the current setup, but it isn't as good as playing each other every year.
The talking heads, and the ACC commissioner (whose opinion carries more weight) have emphasized the importance of every 4-year athlete's playing every conference opponent home-and-away in a 4-year cycle. This fits with 3-5-5.

I tried to start a thread about the SEC talking about maybe starting their own 8 team playoffs. Warning shot that they are going to break away. Post disappeared. I don't see anybody talking about this at all. Kind of surprised. This is kind of a big deal for the future of college football.

I tried to start a thread about the SEC talking about maybe starting their own 8 team playoffs. Warning shot that they are going to break away. Post disappeared. I don't see anybody talking about this at all. Kind of surprised. This is kind of a big deal for the future of college football.
Nothing disappeared if this is the post you are talking about. Appears it just got added to an existing thread

That sounds like an absolutely stupid idea. The SEC, with a total of 14 teams, will start their own 8 team playoff. I actually want to laugh. But what you say is probably true

Nothing disappeared if this is the post you are talking about. Appears it just got added to an existing thread

Sorry. I didn't remember the name of the author, so I didn't recognize that was the story. Thanks.

That sounds like an absolutely stupid idea. The SEC, with a total of 14 teams, will start their own 8 team playoff. I actually want to laugh. But what you say is probably true

I think the idea is that by floating their own playoff, they attract more teams from other conferences. Let's say they got Clemson, Fla. State, Miami, USC, UCLA, Baylor, Arizona.

How many does it take to become unstoppable?

I think the idea is that by floating their own playoff, they attract more teams from other conferences. Let's say they got Clemson, Fla. State, Miami, USC, UCLA, Baylor, Arizona.

How many does it take to become unstoppable?
I honestly believe that the end result will always have to be some form of 64-team league. If you stick to 16, 18, 22, 32 or 40 you leave too many major universities by the wayside and a large swath of college football fans on the outside looking in ...who will eventually have something to say about not getting a bigger slice of the pie

I honestly believe that the end result will always have to be some form of 64-team league. If you stick to 16, 18, 22, 32 or 40 you leave too many major universities by the wayside and a large swath of college football fans on the outside looking in ...who will eventually have something to say about not getting a bigger slice of the pie

Yes, but by leaving the NCAA to join their private club.
That's the play here.

4x16

4x16

If that's the final configuration, that would probably mean that it's still under the NCAA.
No way an SEC-led breakaway group wants so many mouths to feed. Too much deadwood.

Football could become like auto racing. The SEC becomes NASCAR, and the Big 10 becomes the Indy Car League. Maybe their champions meet at year end.

4x16

Trying to create some sort of configuration of X number of Big Boy teams is a total waste of your time. The Superpowers are headed to a future that doesn't require the players to attend class. When (not "if") that happens, a goodly number of schools are going to refuse to play them and all those layouts that people are devising will go right down the tubes.

Trying to create some sort of configuration of X number of Big Boy teams is a total waste of your time. The Superpowers are headed to a future that doesn't require the players to attend class. When (not "if") that happens, a goodly number of schools are going to refuse to play them and all those layouts that people are devising will go right down the tubes.

I’ve been saying for 30 years the end goal was 4x16. Not changing now.

If that's the final configuration, that would probably mean that it's still under the NCAA.
No way an SEC-led breakaway group wants so many mouths to feed. Too much deadwood.

Football could become like auto racing. The SEC becomes NASCAR, and the Big 10 becomes the Indy Car League. Maybe their champions meet at year end.
I don't believe that a slightly larger SEC (as an entity unto itself) will be able to garner as much national interest. Why would I, as a fan, want to continue to watch those schools ...so disconnected from me in space and interests ...and cheer for their "national" championships?
I think that ship will sail absent real regulation

Otherwise the SEC will feed their own interest and create a southern football league
The question is, "who will northern fans and alumni cheer for?" Will an exclusive southern/SEC league get the eyeballs from the Midwest, west, and north?

Last edited:
I don't believe that a slightly larger SEC (as an entity unto itself) will be able to garner as much national interest. Why would I, as a fan, want to continue to watch those schools ...so disconnected from me in space and interests ...and cheer for their "national" championships?

The question us, "who will northern fans and alumni cheer for?" Will an exclusive southern/SEC league get the eyeballs from the Midwest, west, and north?
Nope.

I think that ship will sail absent real regulation

Otherwise the SEC will feed their own interest and create a southern football league

That's how I read this, too.

At that point (which I hope Syracuse and Wisconsin both understand), the football team becomes nothing more than a minor professional league team located in the cities I went to college, I do not even follow the minor league baseball team five miles from my house, other than to go to a couple of games a year on dollar beer night, why would I follow a team several hours away or in a different state?

As an alumni, I have a connection with Syracuse and Wisconsin and it is this connection that causes me to spend money on apparel and tickets, as well as to watch the team on television. Without this connection, going to football games is just a fun activity I engaged in while in school. While at Syracuse, I have fond memories of going to a couple of Buffalo Bills games. This did not turn me into a Bills fan. I have no Bills apparel (although I do still have a box of Flutie Flakes) and I certainly have not traveled to Buffalo to attend games since graduation.

While I might hang on for a year or two if Syracuse and Wisconsin sever any true connection with the schools, I have a feeling I will start to care less and less about "college" sports until I stop caring at all. The best case scenario would be my relationship with the Milwaukee Bucks (my home state NBA team). I do not care until the playoffs and once (if) they get bounced out of the playoffs, at best, I may remember to check the scores of the other games the next day.