Big Difference is three years ago, we would be reading | Syracusefan.com

Big Difference is three years ago, we would be reading

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
uppderdeck posts ( sorry UD) of how we could easily be 3-1 at this point as opposed to probably 1-3 or 0-4. Big Difference, we are slowly grinding our way back.. Slowly, going to get there for sure.

Now, we read posts where we could be 1-3 or 0-4, you know what nobody cares about anything but the bottomline at the end of the year. That said, nobody will care about how injured we were at the end of year either... People can bash Syracuse all they want but nobody takes this team lightly anymore, that is for sure

Those were great. Usually involved an eclipse, a hooker, a bowel movement, a tree, some scotch tape and having a ref named Steve. But if it all worked out, we would have been undefeated.

Just wasn't in the cards.

Those were great. Usually involved an eclipse, a hooker, a bowel movement, a tree, some scotch tape and having a ref named Steve. But if it all worked out, we would have been undefeated.

Just wasn't in the cards.

Exactly, I was just remembering how pissed off I would get... If GROB didn't do his stupid dance maybe PSU would have only beat us by 30, type deal

uppderdeck posts ( sorry UD) of how we could easily be 3-1 at this point as opposed to probably 1-3 or 0-4. Big Difference, we are slowly grinding our way back.. Slowly, going to get there for sure.

Now, we read posts where we could be 1-3 or 0-4, you know what nobody cares about anything but the bottomline at the end of the year. That said, nobody will care about how injured we were at the end of year either... People can bash Syracuse all they want but nobody takes this team lightly anymore, that is for sure

Slowly being the key word. We (and other programs I'm sure) should be the poster boy for what can happen to a program by not being proactive to change as to how long a process it is in football to get back to being a team, as you say that no one can take lightly or be top 25 team (forget top 10). This both with respect to the admins with its public relations gaffes, letting facilities bottom out, and letting coaches go on and on when it's clear their time has come and gone.

Unlike hoops where it can be a fairly quick turnaround everything about the nature of football takes so long. Same too to get people to come back to games. Its been a perfect storm of bad things with respect to that...people took Shaws comments to heart and really did get a life elsewhere even before the GRob crash and still hold hard feelings over this, the fact that there's an disproportionate amount of self loathing upstate anti-SU people in this town, the team sucked for so long the reality turned to perception and that perception is hard to overcome and reverse and still exists now despite evidence to the contrary, this resulting in many young fans not even remembering when we were good, the scheduling of the best "home" games away from the dome now pissing people off, dealing with the still too many (though improved) jacka$$es that work the dome, let alone the reality things that can't be changed and are constants like a bad economy/rust belt reality around here, difficulty of parking/getting to the dome.

The good news? Many of these factors we're also around when I was a kid the last time they turned this around and that mean it can happen again. But, again, it happens so freaking slowly. They're getting there. It seems like forever ago when I had this good a feeling about this coach team and program, a group that doesn't quit, is in every game and wills themselves to be in a position to kick, scratch and claw to put them in a position to win. Where I actually look forward optimistically to the end of the game if it's close.

They and we are on our way. SLOWLY.....and with winning and only winning it will bring back attendance to where everyone wants. Everybody loves a winner. Combine that with their improved marketing and one day down the road the program will be there again.

Slowly being the key word. We (and other programs I'm sure) should be the poster boy for what can happen to a program by not being proactive to change as to how long a process it is in football to get back to being a team, as you say that no one can take lightly or be top 25 team (forget top 10). This both with respect to the admins with its public relations gaffes, letting facilities bottom out, and letting coaches go on and on when it's clear their time has come and gone.

Unlike hoops where it can be a fairly quick turnaround everything about the nature of football takes so long. Same too to get people to come back to games. Its been a perfect storm of bad things with respect to that...people took Shaws comments to heart and really did get a life elsewhere even before the GRob crash and still hold hard feelings over this, the fact that there's an disproportionate amount of self loathing upstate anti-SU people in this town, the team sucked for so long the reality turned to perception and that perception is hard to overcome and reverse and still exists now despite evidence to the contrary, this resulting in many young fans not even remembering when we were good, the scheduling of the best "home" games away from the dome now pissing people off, dealing with the still too many (though improved) jacka$$es that work the dome, let alone the reality of a bad economy/rust belt reality around here.

The good news? Many of these factors we're also around when I was a kid the last time they turned this around and that mean it can happen again. But, again, it happens so freaking slowly. They're getting there. It seems like forever ago when I had this good a feeling about this coach team and program. They and we are on our way. SLOWLY.....

Good post and agree 100%... it's a freaking grind for sure and I think this team has kept that in perspective, basically willing their way to victory, hopefully they can continue to do so. Every game is a grind regardless of opponent. I truly don't understand why anyone who has watched this team play thinks that were capable of blowing anyone out, I love this team and program, always will but lets face it, we are winning by a razor thin margin to say the least. Rutgers at worse is the second best team we have played, people can argue this all they want but its true, they are definitely the 2nd most talented team we have played and sometimes that masks a ton of shitty coaching.

Like I said, tough to talk smack against anyone, when we are still so limited at many levels

Good post and agree 100%... it's a freaking grind for sure and I think this team has kept that in perspective, basically willing their way to victory, hopefully they can continue to do so. Every game is a grind regardless of opponent. I truly don't understand why anyone who has watched this team play thinks that were capable of blowing anyone out, I love this team and program, always will but lets face it, we are winning by a razor thin margin to say the least. Rutgers at worse is the second best team we have played, people can argue this all they want but its true, they are definitely the 2nd most talented team we have played and sometimes that masks a ton of shitty coaching.

Like I said, tough to talk smack against anyone, when we are still so limited at many levels
these nailbiter wins are so huge. marrone needed to whiteknuckle and chicken salad his way to bowl eligibility with inherited players in order to sell the future to new players. we'll see how that recruiting goes, but it would've been hurting more if he were 2 and 7 in games decided by 2 or less instead of 7 and 2 (I think that's the stat, anyway)

these nailbiter wins are so huge. marrone needed to whiteknuckle and chicken salad his way to bowl eligibility with inherited players in order to sell the future to new players. we'll see how that recruiting goes, but it would've been hurting more if he were 2 and 7 in games decided by 2 or less instead of 7 and 2 (I think that's the stat, anyway)
Agreed. Good coaches are supposed to win close games. Regardless of how you plan, things aren't a given, that's why they play the games. Having a guy on the sideline that has proven that he can readjust based upon the circumstances that occur and not lose his team or their confidence in the process is huge in my opinion. Obviously that didn't exist during the GRob era and it definitely waned during P's latter years as well.

Three years ago I used to check out the board after games for the gallows humor after another beat down. Still remember the line that our offensive line that was supposed to eat lightning and crap thunder ate Krispy Kreme and crapped all over the field. After how bad the GRob era was, I can't really be disappointed in any win any more.

if you guys had posted better pictures of the USC cheerleaders we would have been 4-0..

Agreed. Good coaches are supposed to win close games. Regardless of how you plan, things aren't a given, that's why they play the games. Having a guy on the sideline that has proven that he can readjust based upon the circumstances that occur and not lose his team or their confidence in the process is huge in my opinion. Obviously that didn't exist during the GRob era and it definitely waned during P's latter years as well.

True. And players need to make plays. Nassib going 8 for 8 or whatever on the final Wake drive had nothing to do with coaching. Players made plays.

There a big difference between being 3-1 vs. 0-4 but a small difference in getting there. The problem is that the same performance that gave us a win in these games might not cut it in future games. It's not the difference between being optimistic or pessimistic: it's the differecne between loking back and looking ahead.

Here's the thing about winning close games. At some point the guys on your team have to step up and make a play when the game is close. This is the whole point about weeding out the guys who wanted to be "Saturday only" football players. Because when the games get close...nerves take over. These kids work so hard during the week, that they KNOW what to do on Saturday. They may get beat by better players, but they aren't getting beat because they have bacon strips in their tighty whities.

Three years ago I used to check out the board after games for the gallows humor after another beat down. Still remember the line that our offensive line that was supposed to eat lightning and crap thunder ate Krispy Kreme and crapped all over the field. After how bad the GRob era was, I can't really be disappointed in any win any more.

The only thing I miss about gerg is the lack of stress on saturdays. One of Doug Marrone and Scoop Jardine are going to kill me this year.

if you guys had posted better pictures of the USC cheerleaders we would have been 4-0..

I did my part. But there are some slackers on this board.

The only thing I miss about gerg is the lack of stress on saturdays. One of Doug Marrone and Scoop Jardine are going to kill me this year.

See I disagree. I found it very stressful to delude myself into think a victory was possible, only to be behind by 30 to start the 4th. Also, remember, GRob teams played some great first quarters to feed those delusions.

True. And players need to make plays. Nassib going 8 for 8 or whatever on the final Wake drive had nothing to do with coaching. Players made plays.

Isn't that also the coaching staff partially responsible for training & instilling confidence in the players so they can go out & execute?
I DO know GROB was not able to get his players to the point where they could make the plays to win...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom