Big East basketball breakup: How should a Syracuse fan feel about this? | Syracusefan.com

Big East basketball breakup: How should a Syracuse fan feel about this?

Feel good that we got out while the going was good. Feel worried that something similar could happen to the ACC.

I think, morbid as it sounds, Syracuse should feel good about it. Assuming they do split, that decision represents one of the smarter decisions we've seen in college athletics in a while.

this is an early christmas for marsh...i can imagine him now at the mall sitting on santa's lap thanking and hugging him...all the whil saying

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully it opens up MSG to a nice little tourney in early March.

We should feel exactly like those people in the movie where they are on the boat sailing away from the island and the whole island starts to blow up.

As Animal Mother said in "Full Metal Jacket" looking down into the grave ... "Better you than me".

We had to get out because of the changing environment. And I am glad we did.

But really I wish things could have just stayed the same. I

this is like the proverbial story of the butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon and spawning a thunderstorm in Africa . . . if three original Big East members hadn't chosen to give Penn State the high hat so many years ago, the entire realignment process might have played out differently

but this is the way the world has turned. Of course I would have preferred that the Big East had remained a strong conference, but the membership and leadership chose the way they chose.

I still wish SU had kept its AAU status and gotten into the Big Ten, but the ACC is the ship that rescued us, so let's just hope for the best.

Responsible.

Yea Cuse was a cog in the wheel, but Cuse stood next to a smoldering garbage can and an extinguisher and instead of grabbing the pin and putting out the can you yelled fire and in a crowded hallway and started pushing on everyone's back.
Now you look at the trampled charred hallway and shake your head about what once was?

I call BS. Revisionist history on a self fulfilling prophecy. Yea it might have been inevitable but it might not have. The entire conference was sitting on a stockpile of nukes and you blew all of yours in a preemptive strike. You don't get to say war is a terrible thing.
Spin it however you wish, but had UConn been presented with the same opportunity to exit, your school would have done exactly what SU did. It's called looking out for your long term interests.

Sad. It's like having to break up with a long time girlfriend when you both know it's over. There are lot's of good memories, and you wonder why and how it came to this. Ultimately, however, you know it has come to this and it's all for the best.

Responsible.

Yea Cuse was a cog in the wheel, but Cuse stood next to a smoldering garbage can and an extinguisher and instead of grabbing the pin and putting out the can you yelled fire and in a crowded hallway and started pushing on everyone's back.
Now you look at the trampled charred hallway and shake your head about what once was?

I call BS. Revisionist history on a self fulfilling prophecy. Yea it might have been inevitable but it might not have. The entire conference was sitting on a stockpile of nukes and you blew all of yours in a preemptive strike. You don't get to say war is a terrible thing.
Wow. Not much I agree with here.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Responsible.

I feel genuinely sad for the demise of the BE and for what's happening to UConn, Cincy and USF. I'm grateful it isn't us, because it very well could have been. Though I ultimately expect Cincy and UConn to land somewhere good.

As to your belief that Syracuse is responsible, that's fairly silly. We have expressed a desire to leave the BE since 2003. We had our bags packed in 2003. Our last AD retired because the football schools voted to keep the hybrid going. If we said no, Susan Herbst would have said yes, and we'd be you.

Responsible.

Yeah, we do. Because if it wasn't for us, Pitt, WFVU, etc., you wouldn't have a D-I FB program. Don't give us that about revisionist history. We helped program-build your sorry-ass school. Don't try to turn it around.

We should feel sad. I do. It was a good home for a long time. But it was fated to die. Too many opposing agendas. And too many short-sighted BB-only decisions.

Yeah, we do. Because if it wasn't for us, Pitt, WFVU, etc., you wouldn't have a D-I FB program. Don't give us that about revisionist history. We helped program-build your sorry-ass school. Don't try to turn it around.

TWICE! If it weren't for us they would be in the America East and we'd be beating them by 40 in the cupcake portion of our schedule every few Decembers.

We should all feel lucky we got out when we did. It's fitting that after we leave, there soon might not even be a conference named the Big East.
Suck it UConn!

My father brought me to my first BET in 82 (pre-MSG @ Hartford) when I was just 7 years old, and it's been a family tradition on some level for us ever since. Wasn't just great basketball either, was always a gathering with other relatives and friends, so many great memories, and probably my favorite time of year for as long as I can remember. To say I'm sad to see it come to an end is an understatement.

Responsible.

Guess what. There was no extinguisher big enough. The Big East was a volcanic eruption waiting to blow. We all know you wouldn't have volunteered to be Pompeii knowing Vesuvius was about to erupt, so you can stop now.

While we're talking about history, you can take a moment to thank the Big East for any athletic success you've had. The Big East was not built on the shoulders of UConn. Syracuse, Georgetown, and St. Johns can all be thanked for the league's early relevance. Jim Calhoun was able to use the reputation of the league to build your very successful program. You're welcome.

Responsible.

BS. That fire was roaring long before SU bolted. In some sense, the BE as a basketball conference was doomed the day football became part of the equation. And that was a decade BEFORE Yukon even played BE football.

I feel awful. I always rooted for fellow Big East members when they played out of conference, especially in the NCAA tourney. Except of course stufftsburg. I always loved that we were in the big league and every other league was jealous. I always watched every Big East game on the tube no matter who was playing. I am going to have a VERY difficult time having to watch Ga. Tech play Wake Forest and giving a RATS ASS. It never bothered me to watch Providence play Villanova. Why? Because it won't be the same. We will learn to hate NC,DUKE and NC ST., but it will never be the same as hating the Hoyas or the Huskies. And I doubt I will ever care if Clemson or Florida St. win their 1st round game in the NCAA tourney and I certainly will NEVER root for them to reach the Final Four. But I did root for other Big East teams to do it. It's a terrible day for the Big East and for their longtime fans.
BTW, Up yours Pitt.

The 3 basketball only schools who voted against Penn St getting in, are the ones who planted the time-bomb and its finally come home to roost. Then they let Notre dame in without football, which caused Miami to start looking elsewhere.