Big East basketball breakup: How should a Syracuse fan feel about this? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big East basketball breakup: How should a Syracuse fan feel about this?

BE basketball died the day SU rightfully announced they were leaving. We were the glue. As Reggie would say, "we were the straw that stirred the drink".

BE basketball died the day SU rightfully announced they were leaving. We were the glue. As Reggie would say, "we were the straw that stirred the drink".
Truer words were never spoken.

I feel awful. I always rooted for fellow Big East members when they played out of conference, especially in the NCAA tourney. Except of course stufftsburg. I always loved that we were in the big league and every other league was jealous. I always watched every Big East game on the tube no matter who was playing. I am going to have a VERY difficult time having to watch Ga. Tech play Wake Forest and giving a RATS ASS. It never bothered me to watch Providence play Villanova. Why? Because it won't be the same. We will learn to hate NC,DUKE and NC ST., but it will never be the same as hating the Hoyas or the Huskies. And I doubt I will ever care if Clemson or Florida St. win their 1st round game in the NCAA tourney and I certainly will NEVER root for them to reach the Final Four. But I did root for other Big East teams to do it. It's a terrible day for the Big East and for their longtime fans.
BTW, Up yours Pitt.
I only rooted for BE teams because our conference was on life support and we needed basketball to rule the world to make up for the pathetic football conference. Go read NC States messageboard after we play them at NC State and try to tell me you wont be able to hate any other fanbase again ;) . If we can somehow get the ACC Tourney into MSG, a semi-final night including Syracuse, UNC, Duke and Ville would be epic.

I still wish SU had kept its AAU status and gotten into the Big Ten, but the ACC is the ship that rescued us, so let's just hope for the best.

Amen... ACC's a better fit, but Biggie's stability trumps that. How the squirel that is Rutgers had such a golden nut fall on its head is beyond me, but congrats to them.

The time for feeling sad about the Big East came and went nearly a decade ago. Anyone who didn't see this coming in 2003 had their head in the sand. I felt bad about it then, but for the past several years it was obvious this was a lame duck conference. Hard to get amped for something you know is on life support.

I feel awful. I always rooted for fellow Big East members when they played out of conference, especially in the NCAA tourney. Except of course stufftsburg. I always loved that we were in the big league and every other league was jealous. I always watched every Big East game on the tube no matter who was playing. I am going to have a VERY difficult time having to watch Ga. Tech play Wake Forest and giving a RATS ASS. It never bothered me to watch Providence play Villanova. Why? Because it won't be the same. We will learn to hate NC,DUKE and NC ST., but it will never be the same as hating the Hoyas or the Huskies. And I doubt I will ever care if Clemson or Florida St. win their 1st round game in the NCAA tourney and I certainly will NEVER root for them to reach the Final Four. But I did root for other Big East teams to do it. It's a terrible day for the Big East and for their longtime fans.
BTW, Up yours Pitt.

Man, I feel the same way. Maybe I'll get to be interested in the low-level ACC schools (or any ACC schools, really) as we get familiar with them. As of now, I feel bad that the Big East is done. And the only hoops-related upside of our move is that maybe - maybe - we'll see some decent officiating and move away from the thug-ball that we've seen from Pittsburgh and Marquette in the past decade (and other schools before that). Also, I expect Pittsburgh to become a poor man's Boston College.