Big East Conference | Syracusefan.com

Big East Conference

DomeStranger

All Conference
Anybody know when this meeting is taking place today? Is there a presser schduled?

Interested in seeing how their plan is coming together but also hoping we'll get some resolution on what and when our leaving options will be.

What plan Marionclueless running around the country begging schools to join his halfway house?

I think the plan now is to add 11 Football Programs to make the BE the first 16 team superconference: Army, Navy, Air Force, Memphis, Houston, UCF, Boise St., SMU, ECU, BYU, and Marshall. The BE is also planning to start their own charter airline to meet the travel needs of their members. Should be a hoot.

^^I disagree about ECU. No way they get the nod in front of Tulane.^^

Word is the meeting is about to wrap up...should have some news relatively soon. I predict all hell will break loose this afternoon.

Word is the meeting is about to wrap up...should have some news relatively soon. I predict all hell will break loose this afternoon.
No Work November :D

I think the plan now is to add 11 Football Programs to make the BE the first 16 team superconference: Army, Navy, Air Force, Memphis, Houston, UCF, Boise St., SMU, ECU, BYU, and Marshall. The BE is also planning to start their own charter airline to meet the travel needs of their members. Should be a hoot.
please drop the super from the word superconference - it just doesn't belong anywhere in that response

please drop the super from the word superconference - it just doesn't belong anywhere in that response
yeah, no kidding.

the only thing super about it, is that it is a big ole supersized pile of dung.

So Marinatto has just announced that the Big East is going to 12 football playing schools, but he refused to identify who the new ones will be (or who will be targeted).

Marinatto also says the BE is adding basketball schools.

Because, god forbid, the league has more FB than BB-only schools. Oh Lord

So glad we're out of this mismanaged nightmare.

So Marinatto has just announced that the Big East is going to 12 football playing schools, but he refused to identify who the new ones will be (or who will be targeted).

Good luck finding all those schools that want to get aboard that train wreck. If they really want to give the conference a chance to survive in some form they need to fire Marinatto now.

The basketball schools can't be Temple and Memphis because they won't be allowed to house their football team in the MAC or CUSA if they have other sports in the Big East. Am I correct on this?

CORRECTION: Brett McMurphy now tweeting that reports of non-football invitations are inaccurate. Invitations are for football-only or all-sports.

The basketball schools can't be Temple and Memphis because they won't be allowed to house their football team in the MAC or CUSA if they have other sports in the Big East. Am I correct on this?
I have to believe he means they will be adding some all-sport schools, and also some FB-only schools (Boise, Navy, and AF, for example).

zagoria1-1_normal.jpg

AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria

Marinatto says strictly speaking PItt, Cuse and WVU can't leave until June 30, 2014, meaning 2014 FB season & 14-15 BB season.

zagoria1-1_normal.jpg

AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria

Marinatto says it was a unanimous 13-0 vote to add "specific institutions." Cuse, PItt and WVU no longer allowed to vote.

SPORTS-DO-Online-LOGO_normal.jpg

DOsports Daily Orange Sports

Marinatto said he will speak to those schools shortly and looks forward to announcing with them their acceptance into the Big East.

zagoria1-1_normal.jpg

AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria

Marinatto also says presidents did not discuss a potential 7th football school to replace WVU, but would do so down the road.

MARINATTO STATEMENT HERE

zagoria1-1_normal.jpg

AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria

Marinatto says strictly speaking PItt, Cuse and WVU can't leave until June 30, 2014, meaning 2014 FB season & 14-15 BB season.
"Strictly speaking"... That tells me there is room for negotiation, which may have already begun. It will all depend on how son the other schools can join.

They will probably keep the number of basketball teams at 16, meaning 3 of the invites will be all sports while the rest will be for football only.

zagoria1-1_normal.jpg

AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria

That's either a typo or a math error.
It should read "meaning 2013 FB season & 13-14 BB season".

That's either a typo or a math error.
It should read "meaning 2013 FB season & 13-14 BB season".
I think it is just how he is saying it, that means they can play in the ACC in the '14 football, '14-'15 bball seasons.

So they have voted yes to add specific teams. I wonder why these teams would join when SU, Pitt, WVU are on the move and Lville, Uconn and rutgers are activelly shopping themselve.

Marinatto's statement:
We had a very productive meeting and were able to discuss the great progress we have made in the last few weeks regarding conference realignment.
Our Presidents voted unanimously to extend invitations to specific institutions, including both football-only and all-sport members to join the BIG EAST Conference. I will be speaking to representatives of those schools shortly and look forward to announcing with them their acceptance into the BIG EAST. The addition of these members will extend our reach, bring us to exciting new markets, strengthen our status within the BCS, and lay the foundation for possible further expansion, all while maintaining the high quality and standards our Conference is known for.
In light of the lawsuit filed by West Virginia yesterday, the Presidents also discussed and confirmed our continuing commitment to enforce the Conference’s 27-month notification period for schools choosing to leave. The Conference believes these claims to be wholly without merit and will explore all its legal options to protect its interests and to ensure that West Virginia lives up to its obligations.

Marinatto says it was a unanimous 13-0 vote to add "specific institutions." Cuse, PItt and WVU no longer allowed to vote.

[/quote]

Then they can't be bound by any changes they were not permitted to vote on. There is a big difference between abstaining and the League saying you have lost your right to vote because you've notified us of your intention to leave but are still a member for the next 24 months. If I'm Cuse, the first thing I tell this jack arse is I'm not playing anyone you add as a new FB or all sports member for the remainder of my time here because that's not the deal I made with the BE.

Could WV use this as an out as well, if any of those new teams come before June 30, 2014? Same goes for SU and Pitt? If they insist on us staying, we should insist that new teams not be allowed in before then. If according to the bylaws we are BE members until then, then we should have a say in any and all matters that effect us during that time. How can the BE say we aren't allowed to vote, when any new school added has a direct impact on our schedule? We never agreed to be in a conference with Boise, SMU, etc. Wouldn't this be a breach? I am not a lawyer, but common sense says there is no way the BE should be allowed to do this. If they want those schools early that 2014, then they need to let us go.