Big East Meeting in Philly | Syracusefan.com

Big East Meeting in Philly

I love ya PA, but that league stinks. It's Conf USA with some Boise sprinkled in. The Big East, as we knew it, is now the Northern grouping of the ACC. What is left is former 1-AA teams (UConn) and Conf USA/A-10 hoops teams.

Any reason we don't see them adding 7? Who will replace WV? Memphis? ECU? Temple? Army? Nova? ND? :D

I love ya PA, but that league stinks. It's Conf USA with some Boise sprinkled in. The Big East, as we knew it, is now the Northern grouping of the ACC. What is left is former 1-AA teams (UConn) and Conf USA/A-10 hoops teams.

You may be right, but it still has the making of a decent conference.

Houston is very solid. SMU is getting better and better. Both have strong football traditions.

Boise St. is a great program.

Navy and Air Force are competitive and highly respected.

Rutgers, So. Fla., UConn, are good programs with plenty of upside.

It may sound like Conference USA, but with time it could grow to become a very good conference.

Regardless, I would like it to succeed so UConn and Rutgers stay put - that's my primary concern.

Any reason we don't see them adding 7? Who will replace WV? Memphis? ECU? Temple? Army? Nova? ND? :D

Today's rumor is Temple.

Today's rumor is Temple.

Trust me...this new league needs Memphis...yes they suck in Football currently but they do have a dedicated fanbase and excellent hoops.

Ironic that the meeting was held in Philly, yet Temple hasn't received an invite.

I can see Pitino spitting all over himself after seeing the invite list. Not 1 of those institutions offers anything in hoops. Lmao.

Ironic that the meeting was held in Philly, yet Temple hasn't received an invite.
"Temple and Memphis are among the schools being considered, the person with knowledge if the Big East's decision said."

On his reaction to the news West Virginia was suing:

"I quite frankly was stunned when I heard the news that they were filing a lawsuit," Marinatto said. "I couldn't understand under what grounds."

More

I can see Pitino spitting all over himself after seeing the invite list. Not 1 of those institutions offers anything in hoops. Lmao.

I'm sure few care.

This is an effort to save football.

BB will be fine - who knows, maybe Houston can come back to BB prominence.

It is a nice little conference. IMO it will be like the MWC in BBall. The BE FB conf will be clearly better than the non BCS confs, but it will clearly be below the other BCS confs. It will be an interesting little FB league but it won't be near the big boys.

Syracuse
Miami
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Temple

If that league couldn't make a go of it without 6 schools leaving for greener pastures I have no idea how C-USA 2: Electric Boogaloo is going to do it.

I'll also add that once again this shows the damage of not being proactive.

Not that I am in any way not thrilled to death to be going to the ACC. But as usual had the Big East acted the least bit proactively maybe they could have avoided mass defections. What if after they got TCU they IMMEDIATELY went and invited those three for football to get to 12. How much more media money could they have landed with a lineup of:

EAST:
Syracuse
Pitt
Rutgers
UConn
West Virginia
Navy

WEST:
Louisville
Cincinnati
USF
Boise State
TCU
Air Force

I mean it’s still a goofy set-up, but at least financially it could have been close to what we’re going to get in the ACC.

You may be right, but it still has the making of a decent conference.

Houston is very solid. SMU is getting better and better. Both have strong football traditions.

Boise St. is a great program.

Navy and Air Force are competitive and highly respected.

Rutgers, So. Fla., UConn, are good programs with plenty of upside.

It may sound like Conference USA, but with time it could grow to become a very good conference.

Regardless, I would like it to succeed so UConn and Rutgers stay put - that's my primary concern.

OrangePA, don't take this the wrong way...when I read this post it seemed like you have a longing to stay in the BE. Are you happy or sad for SU's imminent departure? (serious question)

Personally I will miss the BE tournament and MSG, but beyond that I really have no use for Club Marinatto. This guy drove the Magic Bus into an on-coming train and there is simply no excuse for that. He let the league crumble when he could have strengthened it. As I posted last night, he should have made sure that TV deal was signed and kept the core together (Strike One). Then he should have gone out during the Big 12 fiasco when the league was about done and offered KU, KSU, Missou and whoever else to get the league to 12. Who knows what would have happened? He may have been able to pull off the single biggest power play in the whole realignment game and sealed the fate of the Big 12. We don't know what would have happened, but KU and KSU may have been desperate enough to jump. He had a very small window of opportunity that he never even tried to capitalize on (Strike Two).

Had he acted like a Commissioner in danger of losing his conference, he could have had a solid football league, albeit a bitch to travel in. He should have solidified football and dealt with the BBall scheduling problems after the dust settled.

He never had a chance after those two strikes. Swofford threw his spitball and ripped the rug out from under him for good. Ballgame.

I don't care who the BE adds now, because it's no longer the BE. And I don't care if they survive as a conference. The people in Providence had chances to do the right things and they blew it. They will continue to lose schools until the dust settles at 16-team super conferences. Who will care that they have Boise if Louisville and Cincy leave? What if Boise doesn't come? The first cycle that comes around where they don't retain the AQ will be the end, and without Boise it could be over by the end of the decade, or sooner.

Don't worry about the BE anymore, OPA. It's heartache city. Let it go.

Good move - to add six teams for football.

Sure would have been nice if they would have done this 10-15 years ago when it could have made a difference?Only now when they're forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel.Typical BE.

I think it'll be good enough to retain through another 3 year "evaluation" period. I think the conferences will show some mercy on the Big East and newcomers. That will give them through 2017 + a year or 2 as nothing gets yanked away with court appeals and such. After that, who knows if there will even be a BCS as we know it as there could be some other kind of system in place or in the works.

That said, it will still be the kiddie table conference and will still get the scraps. I'm glad we won't be a part of it.

OrangePA, don't take this the wrong way...when I read this post it seemed like you have a longing to stay in the BE. Are you happy or sad for SU's imminent departure? (serious question)

Personally I will miss the BE tournament and MSG, but beyond that I really have no use for Club Marinatto. This guy drove the Magic Bus into an on-coming train and there is simply no excuse for that. He let the league crumble when he could have strengthened it. As I posted last night, he should have made sure that TV deal was signed and kept the core together (Strike One). Then he should have gone out during the Big 12 fiasco when the league was about done and offered KU, KSU, Missou and whoever else to get the league to 12. Who knows what would have happened? He may have been able to pull off the single biggest power play in the whole realignment game and sealed the fate of the Big 12. We don't know what would have happened, but KU and KSU may have been desperate enough to jump. He had a very small window of opportunity that he never even tried to capitalize on (Strike Two).

Had he acted like a Commissioner in danger of losing his conference, he could have had a solid football league, albeit a bitch to travel in. He should have solidified football and dealt with the BBall scheduling problems after the dust settled.

He never had a chance after those two strikes. Swofford threw his spitball and ripped the rug out from under him for good. Ballgame.

I don't care who the BE adds now, because it's no longer the BE. And I don't care if they survive as a conference. The people in Providence had chances to do the right things and they blew it. They will continue to lose schools until the dust settles at 16-team super conferences. Who will care that they have Boise if Louisville and Cincy leave? What if Boise doesn't come? The first cycle that comes around where they don't retain the AQ will be the end, and without Boise it could be over by the end of the decade, or sooner.

Don't worry about the BE anymore, OPA. It's heartache city. Let it go.

I probably have been the biggest proponent for Syracuse University's move to the ACC that I know. When others on the board pushed for the Big Ten I always insisted that the way to go was the ACC.

I have made my feelings known to the Univeristy over the past few years.

I was crushed when the move in 2003 was quashed.

So, I'm really, really happy about this move.

I have explained my feelings about saving the BE many times.

Again, the bottom line for me is this - I want the BE to remain a solid - though slightly lower tier - football conference that retains its AQ so UConn and Rutgers (and perhaps others) do not follow us to the ACC.

I feel that for recruiting/development purposes that is the best result for Syracuse University.

Not caring about what happens to the BE is not in my opinion what is best for SU.

I probably have been the biggest proponent for Syracuse University's move to the ACC that I know. When others on the board pushed for the Big Ten I always insisted that the way to go was the ACC.

I have made my feelings known to the Univeristy over the past few years.

I was crushed when the move in 2003 was quashed.

So, I'm really, really happy about this move.

I have explained my feelings about saving the BE many times.

Again, the bottom line for me is this - I want the BE to remain a solid - though slightly lower tier - football conference that retains its AQ so UConn and Rutgers (and perhaps others) do not follow us to the ACC.

I feel that for recruiting/development purposes that is the best result for Syracuse University.

Not caring about what happens to the BE is not in my opinion what is best for SU.
I agree, PA. I hope this is the last time you have to explain your feelings about the BE.

The "new" big east sucks. And if they think they are keeping their BCS AQ because of Boise they are nuts.

This conference won't last till 2015. Because when the BCS tells the Big East to take a hike in a year or so, the b'ball only schools then tell the football members to take a hike cause then they are no longer needed with no BCS money coming in. And the schools out west will just say screw this and bail. And L'ville, USF, Cincy, Rutgers, and UCONN will have to make a decision. Stay in a b'ball only conference and take your football elsewhere. OR move everything elsewhere.

This rebuilding of Big East football and what is being done now reminds me alot of how the USFL tried this and that to stay afloat. Everyone knew the what the eventual outcome was going to be. These schools and the commish are just killing time and putting off the inevitable.

On a side note: If anyone in the Big East had a clue, they would re-brand the whole conference. The Big East name is so damaged people laugh now when it is mentioned. And considering some of the biggest players in the conference aren't even in the "east" I think its time to kill that name and come up with a new one. Re-Brand the whole conference and put forth a new image. But since the Big East and the clowns running it are stupid, they won't. And its just another mis-step by this pathetic conference.

The "new" big east sucks. And if they think they are keeping their BCS AQ because of Boise they are nuts.

This conference won't last till 2015. Because when the BCS tells the Big East to take a hike in a year or so, the b'ball only schools then tell the football members to take a hike cause then they are no longer needed with no BCS money coming in. And the schools out west will just say screw this and bail. And L'ville, USF, Cincy, Rutgers, and UCONN will have to make a decision. Stay in a b'ball only conference and take your football elsewhere. OR move everything elsewhere.

This rebuilding of Big East football and what is being done now reminds me alot of how the USFL tried this and that to stay afloat. Everyone knew the what the eventual outcome was going to be. These schools and the commish are just killing time and putting off the inevitable.

On a side note: If anyone in the Big East had a clue, they would re-brand the whole conference. The Big East name is so damaged people laugh now when it is mentioned. And considering some of the biggest players in the conference aren't even in the "east" I think its time to kill that name and come up with a new one. Re-Brand the whole conference and put forth a new image. But since the Big East and the clowns running it are stupid, they won't. And its just another mis-step by this pathetic conference.

And should that happen, those FB schools should be sure to collect $5M from each of the hoops only and make them stay 27 months.

If you think this new BE will lose it's AQ status, then you are in for a surprise. For many reasons, it won't happen. This gives more of the current have-nots 'Have' status. That is good for the BCS - it gives more of the FBS teams access to the BCS without having the BCS cede another slot to another lower-tier conference. That also helps keep the pols at bay. And, if you think the BCS would yank a slot from a conference with Navy and Air Force in it, think again. The last thing the BCS wants is the government to get involved. They will find a way to keep the BE's AQ status.

If you think this new BE will lose it's AQ status, then you are in for a surprise. For many reasons, it won't happen. This gives more of the current have-nots 'Have' status. That is good for the BCS - it gives more of the FBS teams access to the BCS without having the BCS cede another slot to another lower-tier conference. That also helps keep the pols at bay. And, if you think the BCS would yank a slot from a conference with Navy and Air Force in it, think again. The last thing the BCS wants is the government to get involved. They will find a way to keep the BE's AQ status.

Wanna bet? Name your price! No price is too high for me. The Big East will NOT keep its AQ with that lackluster group they have put together. You can't depend on Boise to win the conference every year. And when they don't what are you stuck with? That big SMU-Auburn Sugar Bowl? Or the Florida St-Navy Orange Bowl? Oh wait, it might be a good year and UCONN goes back to the Fiesta to play Oklahoma again and lose by 50! Please!

Give me a break. No way it will happen. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid cause those bowl games with those teams will lose money and get no tv ratings which costs the BCS money in contract talks. The Big East can preach about city size all they want and market size and thats nice on paper but not in reality. The Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 ain't letting that happen.

And YES I have no doubt that these money hungry liars who would step over their dead mother to switch conferences will pull an AQ away from Navy and Air Force. Now these people who have back-stabbed everyone will grow a heart and have a soul and care about someone other than themselves and their conference?! HA HA!!We have had school presidents, AD's and in some instances men of the cloth lie to each others faces. I have no doubt they would take away an AQ from The Big East even if Navy and Air Force join the Big East to make a few extra bucks for their conference.

Given the teams under consideration - I agree with this. Thank God we won't be in it.

I read somewhere that the Boise move is not a slam dunk, & that BSU would stand to lose a huge chunk just to leave their present conference. Also, they'd have to account for lost BCS revenue, plus other fees- with the total amt. approaching $21 mil, just to GO to the BE.
I'll look for the link to that story, but this would indicate that its not a done deal for a school of Boise's size & stature. It is still Idaho that we're talking about- do they really have $millions to give up to join the Big "East"?

Wanna bet? Name your price! No price is too high for me. The Big East will NOT keep its AQ with that lackluster group they have put together. You can't depend on Boise to win the conference every year. And when they don't what are you stuck with? That big SMU-Auburn Sugar Bowl? Or the Florida St-Navy Orange Bowl? Oh wait, it might be a good year and UCONN goes back to the Fiesta to play Oklahoma again and lose by 50! Please!

Give me a break. No way it will happen. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid cause those bowl games with those teams will lose money and get no tv ratings which costs the BCS money in contract talks. The Big East can preach about city size all they want and market size and thats nice on paper but not in reality. The Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 ain't letting that happen.

And YES I have no doubt that these money hungry liars who would step over their dead mother to switch conferences will pull an AQ away from Navy and Air Force. Now these people who have back-stabbed everyone will grow a heart and have a soul and care about someone other than themselves and their conference?! HA HA!!We have had school presidents, AD's and in some instances men of the cloth lie to each others faces. I have no doubt they would take away an AQ from Navy and Air Force should join the Big East to make a few extra bucks for their conference.
Glad you feel so strongly about it. Too bad you're wrong on this one.