Big East New Contract... LOL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big East New Contract... LOL

so here is a question does the decrease in dollars for the big east now that syracuse and pitt are gone equal the revenue increase to the ACC now that syracuse and Pitt are joining. Obviously this doesn't take into account WVA

After reading these boards, one would almost find that impossible.

ed-mcmahon.jpg

I'm expecting a Rutgers BOT member (or fan named Al) to publicly admit they are unhappy with this deal and that they should explore the Big 10 as an option.

They already turned down the Big 10 and the SEC. Graystork is claiming as fact that they are starting their own conference.

OPa, luv ya. but youve been massivly wrong on this.

the new new big east is HORRIBLE.

nobody cares to watch it.

the markets they are in, make them the mets/jets/nets/isles/devs.

big whoop.

Exactly. People clammer about the Houston market, the Memphis market, the San Diego market. Well, guess what, Houstonians watch Texas and Texas A&M, Memphisonians watch Tennessee, and San Diegans watch USC or California. The number of eyes means squat, it's how many of the eyes watch those teams. Well, not too many.

http://t.co/fQxyWqeU

Plus, anyone want to see a meltdown in progress?

http://rutgers.rivals .com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=155389156&mid=155389156&sid=988&style=2

Someone please hose me down. I feel dirty after visiting that site.

I have a hard time believing that number includes BBall and FBall together, but it doesn't change the fact that the 11 numbskulls (other than Pitt) who did not vote 'yes' for last years deal are having stiff drinks tonight and praying.

They should have listened to TGD.

OPa, luv ya. but youve been massivly wrong on this.

the new new big east is HORRIBLE.

nobody cares to watch it.

the markets they are in, make them the mets/jets/nets/isles/devs.

big whoop.

The new new BE is horrible but I still expected schools like Louisville and UConn to at least pull even with where they were before. How much were we making in the new BE? Wasn't it like $7.5 million? So UConn will now be getting half of that? And we will be making 5x more than them? I mean $6 million a year woulda been low. Getting barely over $3 million is pathetic. Boise St and SD St are better off staying in the MWC. Is an extra $1 million a year to play in the BE worth it when you consider the extra travel for FB and being in a worse conference for Olympic sports? Heck if I am Memphis, SMU, Houston, and UCF I rather stay in CUSA than play in the BE now. And USF is likely better off in CUSA as well when you take travel into account.

The new new BE is horrible but I still expected schools like Louisville and UConn to at least pull even with where they were before. How much were we making in the new BE? Wasn't it like $7.5 million? So UConn will now be getting half of that? And we will be making 5x more than them? I mean $6 million a year woulda been low. Getting barely over $3 million is pathetic. Boise St and SD St are better off staying in the MWC. Is an extra $1 million a year to play in the BE worth it when you consider the extra travel for FB and being in a worse conference for Olympic sports? Heck if I am Memphis, SMU, Houston, and UCF I rather stay in CUSA than play in the BE now. And USF is likely better off in CUSA as well when you take travel into account.

The other issue is the BE doesn't have much leverage. ESPN is not going to put something out there just to help out the BE. They are running out of room and probably money. So, assuming the BE passes on ESPN, the BE is left with NBC. All thoughts lead to NBC because "they are desperate to get college football and programming on their new college sports channel". Well, if ESPN is not bidding, what reason does NBC have to throw huge amounts of money at the BE? The BE is going to have to take what's given to them, lest they are off TV completely. I think the BE will be in a world of hurt come negotiation time.

I think NBC would have been interested in the BE prior to all of the movement. They might still be interested but nowhere near the money they may have been thinking plus I doubt they will give them any type of real long-term commitment. NBC didn't create their sport network to have mediocre college sports, otherwise it might as well just continue to show bike races and rodeos.