Big East post-spring power rankings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big East post-spring power rankings

Actually I think a lot of there fans are catching. Not exactly selling that place out these days. But I guess compared to the crowds of, say, 1998, it must look like the big house.

Yes, it took awhile, but a few of them are starting to figure out what we've told them since the very beginning. And there is still nothing more scandalous than the funding of the expansion of Rutgers Stadium. What an epic waste of money by the NJ taxpayer.

Absolutely -- as Townie has said over and over, their fans simply don't know any better. Because of their poor football history, their fans don't know the difference between a Norfolk St and a Nebraska. They haven't been paying attention long enough to know the difference. To Schiano's credit, he knew this and took advantage of it and advanced the program from horrid to mediocre. (I say mediocrity from the perspective of a Syracuse fan. To a Rutgers fan, these are the glory years.)

Unfortunately for Schiano he still couldn't figure out a way to win this second rate conference even once. He has smartly moved on knowing that his program wasn't picked to be a part of a big boy conference. He may be a poor game day coach, but you got to give him credit for his snake oil salesmanship and knowing when to get out of dodge.

Hahaha...what a joke. Schiano got offered a head coaching position in the NFL. It had NOTHING to do with wanting to "get out of dodge" which he had multiple chances to do(despite Townie continuing to say he had no other options).

Unfortunately for Marrone it seems he is having a hard time staying out of the celler in this "second rate conference" let alone contending to win it. What is funny is that all that SU fans seem to hang there hat on these days is that they will someday go from being the doormat of the Big East to the doormat of the ACC. What your football program actually does on the field is almost an afterthought to many fans.

The ACC is clearly not one of the "big boy conferences" anyhow the way things are playing out and will most likely become a hybrid BE/ACC as time goes by...

just saying -- your best conference finish ever is 3rd ... out of 8

That is without Va Tech and Miami in conference

and while it is true we are nothing like we were from '86 - '01, we know and acknowledge that as a fan base - and as a fan base we expect to get back to that level. Our programs history has been filled with high periods and low periods. There is enough success and tradition over the decades that it can be expected that we will be able to return to competing for conference championships in the future (near).

With the significant increase in conference money by moving to the ACC we are beginning badly needed facility upgrades and rebuilding our brand ... a brand that was still strong enough to get us into the ACC even after the disaster that was GROB.

And we split a conference title within the last 10 years -- one of the worst decade long stretches in program history if not the worst.

And then there is the fact that we can at least pride ourselves on playing real OOC opponents over the last 20 years. We take on solid BCS opponents in our OOC schedule 90% of the time ... we are not afraid to schedule the top dogs - if we scheduled like some other programs do, we could have had a few more wins over the years and pulled a smoke and mirror act too

Hahaha...what a joke. Schiano got offered a head coaching position in the NFL. It had NOTHING to do with wanting to "get out of dodge" which he had multiple chances to do(despite Townie continuing to say he had no other options).

Unfortunately for Marrone it seems he is having a hard time staying out of the celler in this "second rate conference" let alone contending to win it. What is funny is that all that SU fans seem to hang there hat on these days is that they will someday go from being the doormat of the Big East to the doormat of the ACC. What your football program actually does on the field is almost an afterthought to many fans.

The ACC is clearly not one of the "big boy conferences" anyhow the way things are playing out and will most likely become a hybrid BE/ACC as time goes by...
The funny part is that most of us acknowledge where we are as a football team and I'm not so sure that you do with yours. At any rate, Marrone in his rebuilding job is light years ahead of where Schiano was with his after year 3. Progressions though not indicative of future performance seem to indicate that SU will be back much sooner under Marrone than the time it took Rutgers to rise to mediocrity. And that is while playing a big boy schedule.

You are a perfect representation of your fan base. So freakin' blind to what Shady was and what he "built". And be honest, you would KILL to be in the ACC. Unfortunately for you, the rest of the CFB world wasn't buying what your school was selling. Result: Hanging out with the Memphises and San Diego States of the world. Best of luck with that.

Regarding our football program, I understand you have only been paying attention for 5 years or so, but take a look at the record books. We are a winning football program with conference titles, major bowl wins, many pro and college football hall of famers, a Heisman trophy, and a National Title. And once again, your school would KILL for those things.

We made a crippling hire and are just starting to recover from it. We will be just fine. History tells us so. Unfortunately for your school, history hasn't been quite so kind to it. But congrats on your decade record of 6-4 against us. That's about the only thing your football program can hang its hat on.

If I were in your position, I'd be grasping at straws too. We know what it's like. We were in your shoes back in 2003 (based on the year, I'm assuming you didn't notice).

No one here blames you, we're just glad not to be you

Well. Very good opinions by all. However, some may have missed the fact that even if your program was bad for so long or an extended period of time, you still would havd had history behind you to at least rebuild or reconsfruct for that matter.

SU has history and tradition, that's indisputable. However, there are some of you miss the fact that Schiano has been building a foundation from pure scratch. SU never had that problem. PITT never had that problem. Even Louisville or WVU, never had those problems. RU always had that problem.

Consider, up until 1994 where we played in a. Completely outdated stadium and facilities that would rival only ancient Rome or Greece. And thats not long ago at all. Many of you forget that. So we payed for a new stadium; and...what's some of your points? We are trying to keep our talent home. Which program wouldn't do that? So GS s schedule for instantaneou success. VATECH used to do the same thing. The point is Rutgers deserves a winning program and so does the state. Many of us are pragmatic diehards, including me. Some of us are just bandwagoneers...ok! The point is we're no different from you or PITT sans the tradition. We're trying to make our own traditions. It will take time.

And btw, one of you suggested that Marrone had a tougher job than Schiano. With or if SU's tradition and history, why would it be so tough compared to what Schiano had to change? The comparisons are completely different and unfair!

Well. Very good opinions by all. However, some may have missed the fact that even if your program was bad for so long or an extended period of time, you still would havd had history behind you to at least rebuild or reconsfruct for that matter.

SU has history and tradition, that's indisputable. However, there are some of you miss the fact that Schiano has been building a foundation from pure scratch. SU never had that problem. PITT never had that problem. Even Louisville or WVU, never had those problems. RU always had that problem.

Consider, up until 1994 where we played in a. Ompletely outdated stadium and facilities that would rival only ancient Rome or Greece. And thats not long ago at all. Many of you forget that. So we payed for a new stadium; and...what's some of your points? We are trying to leep our talent home. Which program wouldn't do that? So GS s hexule for instantaneous success. VATECH usex to do the same thing. The point is Rutgers deserves a winning program and so does the state. Many of us are pragmatic diehards, including me. Some of us are just bandwagoneers...ok! The point is we're no different from you or PITT sans the tradition. We're trying to make our own traditions. It will take time.

And btw, one of you suggesfed that Marrone had a tougher job than Schiano. With or if SU's tradition and history, why would it be so tough compared to what Schiano had to change? The comparisons are completely different and unfair!
Rutgers Cali?

The point is Rutgers deserves a winning program and so does the state.

If that's the point, I believe you are greatly mistaken. No school/state "deserves" a winning program. It has to be earned. And in 125+ years, Rutgers has never been able to do that. That kind of track record suggests you never will.

Consider, up until 1994 where we played in a. Completely outdated stadium and facilities that would rival only ancient Rome or Greece. And thats not long ago at all. Many of you forget that. So we payed for a new stadium; and...what's some of your points? We are trying to keep our talent home. Which program wouldn't do that? So GS s schedule for instantaneou success. VATECH used to do the same thing. The point is Rutgers deserves a winning program and so does the state. Many of us are pragmatic diehards, including me. Some of us are just bandwagoneers...ok! The point is we're no different from you or PITT sans the tradition. We're trying to make our own traditions. It will take time.

And btw, one of you suggested that Marrone had a tougher job than Schiano. With or if SU's tradition and history, why would it be so tough compared to what Schiano had to change? The comparisons are completely different and unfair!

Rutgers "deserves" a winning program??? The State of NJ ""deserves" a winning program????

How so?

The school was a mid-major for many decades. The primary opponents were Lehigh and Lafayette and Colgate.

And then they got into the Big East and DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and SPENT NEXT TO NOTHING and still cashed the Big East checks.

And now they "deserve" a winner? What a curious statement.

They have done nothing in basketball either. Except to cash the Big East TV checks. What is it that parasites deserve? Because for most of the time its been in the Big East Rutgers has been a parasite.

I'd say you are pretty much running out of time. The New, New Big East isn't going to sell well.

If that's the point, I believe you are greatly mistaken. No school/state "deserves" a winning program. It has to be earned. And in 125+ years, Rutgers has never been able to do that. That kind of track record suggests you never will.

So you mean to tell me because RU has played generally a 1AA sched up until the mid to late 70's, and decided to move up in the ranks, that we shouldn't have one at all? Despite the fact that it is the only 1A program in the entire state as well?

You mean to tell me that up until 1994, where we played in the Roman Coliseum, and decided to modernize the stadium, that Rutgers and the entire state of NJ should be blamed for it as well?

Now maybe the term "we deserve it" should not have been used, yes I do see the err in that, but to suggest that we belong in the basement or any basement for that matter is utterly ludicrous. What program wouldn't make any attempt at winning, and use any resources within legal capacity to do it? So you mean to suggest that RU should suffer for that? Especially since we know that with the right people in place and the right positive mentality, that we aren't capable or shouldn't?

I understand that you may all have every right to be, but don't you think that this is a little to arrogant and bourgeois from your end?

Ok, I made a mistake by saying that we deserve a winning program, but I won't admit that this state deserves something to be proud of in a flagship school such as RU! SU was a national name in football, it isn't any longer! SU is a national name in basketball, but guess what, UCONN has a better brand, reputation and albeit without so much as the history and the tradition! RU can become that way, however, I'm still waiting for that to happen. Forget the talent that this program has, all it needs is the consistency (and some difficult scheduling to do so).

Rutgers "deserves" a winning program??? The State of NJ ""deserves" a winning program????

How so?

The school was a mid-major for many decades. The primary opponents were Lehigh and Lafayette and Colgate.

And then they got into the Big East and DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and SPENT NEXT TO NOTHING and still cashed the Big East checks.

And now they "deserve" a winner? What a curious statement.

They have done nothing in basketball either. Except to cash the Big East TV checks. What is it that parasites deserve? Because for most of the time its been in the Big East Rutgers has been a parasite.

I'd say you are pretty much running out of time. The New, New Big East isn't going to sell well.

You know it is as difficult when you have nothing and competing against programs with more "bullets" such as you. Yet, when your adversary decides to say "HELL...I'M GONNA GET ME SOME BULLETS TOO...BECASUE THIS BOW AND ARROW THANG AIN'T WORKIN' " then there's a problem. IF RU had continued the same mentality, and not hired a person with a vision, and done something for progressions sake, then Lindy, Phil Steele would be saying RU to the basement "AGAIN", you all would have nothing to say except "TYPICAL of RUTGERS, THE CELLAR DWELLERS OF THE BEC". As a matter of fact, this thread wouldn't have even gone 2 pages, but it would be 5 or 6 posts, and that's it! My how things have changed over a decade.

Yes, you did.
Well if that's the case then, despite the fact that you've gotten into the ACC and haven't left the BEC yet, what does it make you when the experts have you slated finishing next to last?

You know it is as difficult when you have nothing and competing against programs with more "bullets" such as you. Yet, when your adversary decides to say "HELL...I'M GONNA GET ME SOME BULLETS TOO...BECASUE THIS BOW AND ARROW THANG AIN'T WORKIN' " then there's a problem. IF RU had continued the same mentality, and not hired a person with a vision, and done something for progressions sake, then Lindy, Phil Steele would be saying RU to the basement "AGAIN", you all would have nothing to say except "TYPICAL of RUTGERS, THE CELLAR DWELLERS OF THE BEC". As a matter of fact, this thread wouldn't have even gone 2 pages, but it would be 5 or 6 posts, and that's it! My how things have changed over a decade.

There has been a tried and true method to possibly taking a program from zero to either Baron or King status over the years. It's called take on all challengers even if it means going to their building and not having 7 home games a year.

Can you honestly say Rutgers has ever tried that method? And since they haven't, it might be why they can't seem to find any bullets that aren't blanks.

Cheers,
Neil

Well if that's the case then, despite the fact that you've gotten into the ACC and haven't left the BEC yet, what does it make you when the experts have you slated finishing next to last?
This is just too easy. Go home, son.

Someone not completely screwed stuck in the left-behind ConferenceUSA II because you're the only one that doesn't think your school is a valueless with quite possibly the worst athletic department in the nation.

No one cares about Rutgers, you'll never be anything more than a footnote of mediocrity between long eras of failure. Enjoy the Sun Beast.

I'd say it means RU is in for a major a** kicking come October 13th. At least we have an offense to go along with out defense. I'd say RU is slated for 4 wins this year unless the offense undergoes a spiritual meeting with Christ before the season starts.

Th1s thread is two pages. not because Rutgers is relevant, but because it's annoying. Thank God that in a few more months there will be no reason whatsoever for any Rutgers person to post on this board.

I'd say it means RU is in for a major a** kicking come October 13th. At least we have an offense to go along with out defense. I'd say RU is slated for 4 wins this year unless the offense undergoes a spiritual meeting with Christ before the season starts.

We shall see in a few months.

Ok, I made a mistake by saying that we deserve a winning program, but I won't admit that this state deserves something to be proud of in a flagship school such as RU!

The problem is that the state of New Jersey is inherently a bedroom community for 2 major cities (NYC and Philly) with only a very small fraction of the state's residents (maybe within a 20 mile radius around your campus -- maybe less if you listen to Townie) caring one way or the other about RU's success. That's simply the reality of the situation. Its the reason that your program has struggled attendance-wise during the entirety of its existence despite being in a very densely populated area and having a humongous student body population.

And before you claim I don't know what I'm talking about, I live in NJ. The state just simply doesn't care that much about its flagship. It cares about its Yankees and Giants (to the North) and its Eagles and Phillies (to the South). It cares deeply about pro sports. Just not very much about its flagship.

So when you say your state deserves a winner, its all a bunch of nonsense. There is a reason that your school (again, despite being located 30 miles from one of the world's greatest cities and the country's largest markets), hasn't been one of the chosen ones and that you will soon be in a conference with SDSU or Temple or Memphis.

I know my comment will not be popular, but geez reading these posts about Rutgers, wow I would have never thought they would be our main topic of discussion around here. I can't stand realizing we are picked 7th in this conference, it's hard to accept, and I truly hope that we end this season a lot higher than they predict us to.

I know my comment will not be popular, but geez reading these posts about Rutgers, wow I would have never thought they would be our main topic of discussion around here. I can't stand realizing we are picked 7th in this conference, it's hard to accept, and I truly hope that we end this season a lot higher than they predict us to.

Thread probably would have died if the rutgers guy didn't butt in.