Big East to approve two-division format | Syracusefan.com

Big East to approve two-division format

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Sources told ESPN that for the purpose of football, the conference will be divided into a western division of Boise State, Houston, Memphis, San Diego State, SMU and Temple, and an eastern division of Central Florida, Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers and South Florida.

Man Temple get's hosed. Lot of travel costs for a mediocre program.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/39226/big-east-to-approve-2-division-format

Why wouldn't LVille be in the west?

Temple in the west????? Besides Rutgers and UConn, they are the most eastern team in the Big Mac.

Good to see the Big Mac has their together.

Good riddance.

Hahahahaha temple.

I would expect them to receive some additional $ for travel.
Even so, it's a lot of wear and tear on the team... especially if things aren't going well.

I would expect them to receive some additional $ for travel.
Even so, it's a lot of wear and tear on the team... especially if things aren't going well.

If this sticks, Temple should go back to the MAC. Just as much access. If the BE forces them to accept this or pay the full exit fee, they should just drop football altogether. No one would miss it.

I'm more interested in the TV contract. I can't wait to hear the screams of horror when it it's below the $12-$15M/team number most Rutger's fans are predicting.

It may only be for 2 years... perhaps with 14 teams (or a different 12 if there's a defection) they can go with a zippered division configuration.

It may only be for 2 years... perhaps with 14 teams (or a different 12 if there's a defection) they can go with a zippered division configuration.

Temple moves back to the East when Navy comes in. :crazy:

Temple is hosed for two years. After Navy and the yet-to-be-announced #14 join they do the divisions all over again. There have been reports that starting in 2015 the BE goes to a "zipper format."

Regardless of what the BE does I am glad we are not part of it.

EDIT: Just saw your post jurrie. Sorry for stepping on/in you/it.

Why wouldn't LVille be in the west?

They're clearly trying to preserve rivalries. You can either do that by placing rivals within the same division (e.g. SEC) or via a cross-division zipper format (e.g. ACC).

The BE kept Louisville and Cincy together in the East, along with UConn/Rutgers and USF/UCF. West is Houston/SMU, Boise St/San Diego St and Memphis/Temple. Temple just had the bad fortune of not having an obvious eastern pairing.

I suspect that when Navy joins they'll get put in the East and Temple will move there to be a pairing, and then whoever joins after that will get dumped in the West to be paired with Memphis.

Meanwhile we get an annual northeast trio of BC, Pitt & Maryland.

Point us.

They're clearly trying to preserve rivalries. You can either do that by placing rivals within the same division (e.g. SEC) or via a cross-division zipper format (e.g. ACC).

The BE kept Louisville and Cincy together in the East, along with UConn/Rutgers and USF/UCF. West is Houston/SMU, Boise St/San Diego St and Memphis/Temple. Temple just had the bad fortune of not having an obvious eastern pairing.

I suspect that when Navy joins they'll get put in the East and Temple will move there to be a pairing, and then whoever joins after that will get dumped in the West to be paired with Memphis.

Meanwhile we get an annual northeast trio of BC, Pitt & Maryland.

Point us.
Temple and Rutgers were big rivals in the 90s and early 2000s. In fact, at one point it was a close race to see who the BE was going to kick out.

Temple and Rutgers were big rivals in the 90s and early 2000s. In fact, at one point it was a close race to see who the BE was going to kick out.

True. But now Rutgers and UConn are battling to see who can be the 4th most-relevant program in NYC. Lots of heat to that rivalry.

:)

I just don't see how this NNBE stays together. What advantage do the West teams have in staying in the NNBE now? They don't have an AQ anymore. The whole thing just looks dumb to me and it can't be sustained over the long term at all.

I just don't see how this NNBE stays together. What advantage do the West teams have in staying in the NNBE now? They don't have an AQ anymore. The whole thing just looks dumb to me and it can't be sustained over the long term at all.

Media $$$.

All things considered the BE will rake in significantly more media $$$ than the other 4 conferences in the awesomely named 'Group of 5'. So since it literally now does not make a damn bit of difference what Group of 5 conference you're in, in terms of having new BCS access, you may as well be in the one that pays the best. That's the BE.

Maybe they know that Louisville is a short-timer anyway.

Media $$$.

All things considered the BE will rake in significantly more media $$$ than the other 4 conferences in the awesomely named 'Group of 5'. So since it literally now does not make a damn bit of difference what Group of 5 conference you're in, in terms of having new BCS access, you may as well be in the one that pays the best. That's the BE.

It really is the best name.

Although, they also could have called them "the 47%". 59 teams out of 124.

Can't make this stuff up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom