Big Papi shot | Syracusefan.com

Big Papi shot

Possibly more serious. One report has bullet from lower back to abdomen.

Steroid deal gone bad, no doubt.

That makes no sense. Why would a guy who never was suspended for steroid use while playing suddenly be dealing for them after retirement?

FWIW...
Dominican Republic police announces that it was an attempt of murder on David Ortiz not a robbery attempt as they reported earlier.

Papi is probably in my 3-4 favorite pro athletes of all time. This has been a rough night.

Commonly known by his nickname, Big Papi, Ortiz has raised millions of dollars through his foundation to help children’s medical needs in New England and the Dominican Republic, where he was born. He will be eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2021.

Even the Yankees honored Ortiz with a painting and a ceremony in 2016 during his last game in Yankee Stadium. Despite all of the pain he inflicted on them, Yankees fans sent him off with a standing ovation.

“He’s one of the friendliest guys in the game,” Brian McCann, the Yankees catcher at the time, said after the game. “And he’s had a Hall of Fame career.”

David Ortiz, Retired Red Sox Slugger, Is Shot in Dominican Republic

That makes no sense. Why would a guy who never was suspended for steroid use while playing suddenly be dealing for them after retirement?

FWIW...

Papi is probably in my 3-4 favorite pro athletes of all time. This has been a rough night.

FWIW...

It was tongue-in-cheek.

If suspended for failed test is your standard, then almost no one is guilty.

He did, however, test positive.

I just hate that some guys get free passes, and others don't, based upon personality.

He gets a pass from "journalists" because people like him.

That said, he seems like a good guy, and hope he fully recovers.

Last edited:
It was tongue-in-cheek.

I just hate that some guys get free passes, and others don't, based upon personality.

The list has never been made public.

It was tongue-in-cheek.

Doesn't this whole take fly in the face of the post you made about Victor page? You made a big deal about innocent until proven and here you are convicting Ortiz without any real proof. The list you cite has never been made public. There is no evidence of Ortiz purchasing roids. Did he use them? I have no idea. Neither do you. But on the night he was shot, you make a joke about it. Seems like the type of thing you would call someone other than yourself out on.

Doesn't this whole take fly in the face of the post you made about Victor page? You made a big deal about innocent until proven and here you are convicting Ortiz without any real proof. The list you cite has never been made public. There is no evidence of Ortiz purchasing roids. Did he use them? I have no idea. Neither do you. But on the night he was shot, you make a joke about it. Seems like the type of thing you would call someone other than yourself out on.
Somebody I have blocked must have said something stupid.

wow - this is insane

I'm a huge Yankees fan, and loathed Big Papi. But right now is the time to be classy, and wish him the best. And the fact that he is nearly universally loved by other players (including many Yankees) should tell you something about his character.

As soon as he fully recovers, we can go back to the steroids.

Is this a criminal case? Am I the government? Is someone's liberty at risk?
Totally different arenas.

This is awful. DR is not getting a lot of good press lately.

He may have future issues from some of the organs this hit, but I really hope not.

Other than his survival, the only other good news about this is that the guy responsible was beaten to a pulp before being taken into police custody.

He may have future issues from some of the organs this hit, but I really hope not.

Other than his survival, the only other good news about this is that the guy responsible was beaten to a pulp before being taken into police custody.

Yeah, dude got some mob justice.

Dude pissed hot and blamed a GNC protein powder. Lol

At ages 38 to 40 he was banging out 35 dingers and 110+ RBI despite being tested frequently over the last 6-7 years of his career. That's unlike a lot of other juicers whose #s fell off a table after heavy testing.

Good point. DR tourism is going to take one helluva hit over the next few quarters at least.

At ages 38 to 40 he was banging out 35 dingers and 110+ RBI despite being tested frequently over the last 6-7 years of his career. That's unlike a lot of other juicers whose #s fell off a table after heavy testing.

His numbers really started to flourish that year he tested positive. And not unlike other juicers he denied and blamed anything else, including GNC and the N.Y. Times. Also said he was going to look into the reason for the positive test... guess he decided not to. Wonder why?

Guess I should head to the mall and pick up a tub of that potent strawberries and cream for teh gainz.

I get Pink Hat Nation is going to defend one of their own, and the guy is really good at giving back to the community. He isn’t a bad guy at all. But come on.

It was tongue-in-cheek.

Tongue in cheek is being used as an excuse for being a jerk in this situation. Guy gets shot and first thing you can do is take a Swipe at him. I don’t know I think any reasonable person could have held off on this one. Especially because it wasn’t in the neighborhood of being funny.

My brother works at Mass General... says media began lining up outside last night, and have generally made the place an enormous cluster fluk.

His numbers really started to flourish that year he tested positive. And not unlike other juicers he denied and blamed anything else, including GNC and the N.Y. Times. Also said he was going to look into the reason for the positive test... guess he decided not to. Wonder why?

Guess I should head to the mall and pick up a tub of that potent strawberries and cream for teh gainz.

I get Pink Hat Nation is going to defend one of their own, and the guy is really good at giving back to the community. He isn’t a bad guy at all. But come on.

So I'm a member of pink hat nation because I point out a fact (spectacular performance at 38-40 while being tested frequently) that clearly shows he could perform without juicing? OK, got it.

Btw his #s started to flourish as soon as he began to play every day (he didn't with the Twins) and as soon as he started to see NYY pitching on a frequent basis.

Tongue in cheek is being used as an excuse for being a jerk in this situation. Guy gets shot and first thing you can do is take a Swipe at him. I don’t know I think any reasonable person could have held off on this one. Especially because it wasn’t in the neighborhood of being funny.

Thank you.

So I'm a member of pink hat nation because I point out a fact (spectacular performance at 38-40 while being tested frequently) that clearly shows he could perform without juicing? OK, got it.

Btw his #s started to flourish as soon as he began to play every day (he didn't with the Twins) and as soon as he started to see NYY pitching on a frequent basis.

Your a member of Pink Hat Nation because you support Boston.

Your comical defense of a fraudulent cheat... hilarious.