Big Props for Hop | Syracusefan.com

Big Props for Hop

So awesome. So predictable. So depressing.

I am frustrated with the "4-5 in 9 games as interim coach, so he cannot coach at SU" crew. You had a role in this, as did Boeheim himself. We may collectively pay for this the next 20 years, as it birthed the potential (that did not exist previously) that SU will follow on the same unknown path blazed by UConn, St. John's, Indiana, UCLA, Georgetown ... all of whom struggled in replacing a legendary coach.

Was watching a bit of the game last night. His squad looks like everything we wanted to see here. Guards and bigs pushing the ball, good defense, etc.

Good for him that he found his place. I hope he sticks it out and makes UW a powerhouse on the left coast.

I am frustrated with the "4-5 in 9 games as interim coach, so he cannot coach at SU" crew. You had a role in this, as did Boeheim himself. We may collectively pay for this the next 20 years, as it birthed the potential (that did not exist previously) that SU will follow on the same unknown path blazed by UConn, St. John's, Indiana, UCLA, Georgetown ... all of whom struggled in replacing a legendary coach.

He went 4-5 with a team that made it to the Final Four.

And I'm not losing sleep so long as SU conducts a national search and doesn't just hand the team off to an assistant.

And I'm not losing sleep so long as SU conducts a national search and doesn't just hand the team off to an assistant.

I wasn't really that worked up about the 4-5 record, but I do think a program of our caliber should get a guy with head coaching experience.

If he continues to have success and shows that he is indeed a good coach then I would have to think his name will be called when Boeheim hangs it up 4 years from now.

When Roy Williams left KU for UNC, he said it was the only job he wouldve left KU for. He played and coached at UNC. It was his 'home'.

Hopkins is SU's Williams. If it turns out that Syracuse wants him when the time comes it will be hard for him to say no.

Seems like a strange way to look at things. Such doom and gloom.

I'm happy for Hop. Really pulling for him. Not depressed at all.

Come on, claiming "you had a role in this" is just a bit hyperbolic. The criticism of his interim coaching record here was certainly silly, but I'd be shocked if it played any role in Hop's decision to leave.

Which is what I have said. The next HC shouldn’t be GMac.
It is amazing watching Washington in the half court on offense. It’s not all high ball screens and ISO.
They swing the ball around and use the short corner 3pt line.

If he continues to have success and shows that he is indeed a good coach then I would have to think his name will be called when Boeheim hangs it up 4 years from now.

When Roy Williams left KU for UNC, he said it was the only job he wouldve left KU for. He played and coached at UNC. It was his 'home'.

Hopkins is SU's Williams. If it turns out that Syracuse wants him when the time comes it will be hard for him to say no.

I don't think he would come back. He's located in Seattle, which is a big enough city to spawn quality recruits. Pac-10 is easier than the ACC, and he's on the West Coast near his folks. He got jerked around by SU in the end. I don't see him returning.

I was at the game last night and the atmosphere was great. It was a sellout although the place only holds 10k people. The crowd was really loud towards the end of the first half and it's amazing how night and day is it from the first Belmont game. I took my wife and 4 year old daughter and my wife is like where is everybody. My daughter was running up and down our section right behind the hoop because we were the only people in the whole row. The place was probably 70 percent empty. They are really fun team to watch. They don't have a shot blocker in the middle and any length on the wing so the zone is ok but not great. They kids really play hard and give maximum effort so it is probably about as good as possible. They do a great job of getting out in transition and scoring and moving the ball and getting some perimeter looks. I saw Mike before a Husky football game out here which I had mentioned here before and we talked for like 30 minutes. I said that the Pac 12 was really top heavy with USC and Arizona (I didn't realize Arizona State would be good) and told Hop I bet you guys have an outside shot at making the tournament. He laughed and told me let him put in his culture first. When I was at the game last night he saw me and pointed at me and walked over to say hi afterwards. I told him do you remember what I told you at the football tailgate. That you would make the tournament. He laughed and said yeah you said it but I think you were joking. I replied I wasn't. He replied well you laughed while you were telling me. He is such an amazing guy and it has been really fun to see his success so far. Also during the introductions to start the game the loudest roar came when they said his name as the head coach. Gave me chills.

Very happy for Mike. I would love to see him matched up against JAB in the tournament. I'm sure CBS wouldn't mind that storyline either.

So does UW right now have more talent? Even our thin roster has more ‘talent’ on paper via any sort of recruiting matrix. I know I watch UW and often think that our guys cannot execute, perform, and just from skill set point of view; we are behind where they are, IMO.

So does UW right now have more talent? Even our thin roster has more ‘talent’ on paper via any sort of recruiting matrix. I know I watch UW and often think that our guys cannot execute, perform, and just from skill set point of view; we are behind where they are, IMO.

I do not believe that UW has more talent than SU in the 4-5 UW games I have watched. Hop has them grinding and working hard. Obviously the ACC schedule is much more difficult to navigate than the PAC 10. I am surprised how far they have come after getting absolutely thrashed by VA Tech. Good for Hop.

Seems like a strange way to look at things. Such doom and gloom.

I'm happy for Hop. Really pulling for him. Not depressed at all.
Depressed is not the right word perhaps, ... how about melancholy? Hop is the right person for this job, always has been. I am very excited for him and his team in Washington. He's not going to come back. Minimal chance.
Instead, in five years, the job is going to go to someone like Buzz Williams or someone similar with zero attachment to SU and the community. And that is going to sting a lot more than people can appreciate right now.

And for those of you that want G-Mac, what do you say to Adrian Autry, who has significantly more coaching experience? This is likely to get messy.

We had the answer identified and let him walk out the door.

I do not believe that UW has more talent than SU in the 4-5 UW games I have watched. Hop has them grinding and working hard. Obviously the ACC schedule is much more difficult to navigate than the PAC 10. I am surprised how far they have come after getting absolutely thrashed by VA Tech. Good for Hop.

You think they would struggle with Pitt?

I haven't seen any UW games, is Hop playing 100% zone?

No. He mixes defenses. I haven’t seen them enough to say how much zone/man. Offensively he’s different too. Cuseinseattle would know more.

Watching them push the ball after every rebound, watching them switch defenses or moving to a press even after being up by 20, playing a bench, just shows everything some of us have been begging for.

Team doesn't even win 10 games with the number 1 overall NBA pick, lose almost the entire recruiting class and not returning a ton of talent and he's already exceeded win expectations and beat a top team in the country (that we got smoked by).

I haven't seen any UW games, is Hop playing 100% zone?

He plays a lot but mixes it up quite often. I've watched about 75% of their games. Guessing he plays it 80/20.

You think they would struggle with Pitt?
At Pitt...yes as did SU and NC St.

I know they beat Kansas which was a huge upset but they were throttled by VA Tech. I remember them being down 30ish points at halftime and Buzz called the dogs off (yes the same VA tech team SU beat). I also watched where Gonzaga absolutely wiped the floor with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom