Big Ten tourney to Verizon Center | Syracusefan.com

Big Ten tourney to Verizon Center

Is hosting the tournament in a major eastern city really enough to generate more attention? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it in the Midwest?

Washington D.C. and New York City have tons of alumni for every ACC and B1G school. Its a transplant city go to Northern Virginia its all transplants. Playing the B1G Tournament in DC or NYC is not a dumb decision they could rotate Chicago, Indy, DC, NYC like the ACC could rotate Greensboro, Atlanta, DC, NYC.

Washington D.C. and New York City have tons of alumni for every ACC and B1G school. Its a transplant city go to Northern Virginia its all transplants. Playing the B1G Tournament in DC or NYC is not a dumb decision they could rotate Chicago, Indy, DC, NYC like the ACC could rotate Greensboro, Atlanta, DC, NYC.
Yeah but there is only one school that is remotely close to the area. The same could be said for Chicago, or as far as alumni bases are concerned - San Francisco or LA.

The B1G can fill up DC. Just like there are CNYers all throughout the DC region it's the same with them.

Yeah but there is only one school that is remotely close to the area. The same could be said for Chicago, or as far as alumni bases are concerned - San Francisco or LA.
I am sure their are enough ACC alumni in Chicago that if they wanted to host the ACC tournament their it could be a decent crowd as long as Notre Dame didn't complete flameout the first day. Chicago I am sure has Duke, North Carolina, Miami, Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia alumni along with Notre Dame that it could do well at the United Center I just wouldn't be interested in going to the Navy Pier.

D.C. is fair game for the B1G with Maryland and all those B1G alums in NoVa.

Stinks for Georgetown. Had they founded a D1 football team, seems like they would be have been a realignment prize. Everyone seems to want DC.

This whole "market" strategy being employed by the conferences has become a total joke.

Fact: The B1G will fill up the arena in DC for their tournament.

Fact: The ACC will fill up the arena in NYC for their tournament.

Fact: Neither of the previous two facts will make DC a B1G market or NYC an ACC market.

These dopes are fighting some kind of strategic war that is inherently not winnable.

The battle for NYC is pointless IMO because NYC does NOT care about College Football and that is where the majority money of would be made by either conference having the NYC market for negotiating sponsorships, TV deals, etc.

NYC cares about College Basketball the most popular teams in NYC for college basketball are Syracuse, UConn, St. John's. If the B1G didn't get greedy for the NJ cable boxes for the BTN and wanted more of the NYC market UConn was the better play than Rutgers, but they wanted the NJ cable box money for the BTN. NYC will NEVER officially be a market of exclusivity for either the B1G or ACC I am sure each conference will have the city's attention if they play their conference tournament their, but only the Big East was ever dominant in NYC and that was with Basketball and the Garden tournament.

These conference tournaments in new areas are about sponsorship dollars in new markets. Their are no Bojangles in Syracuse right now, but all these new commercials for Bojangles in new markets could cause a franchise to start up in Pittsburgh or Syracuse because of the advertising it could get.

Has the ACC announced that DC will be a permanent part of the tourney rotation? It should be to keep a presence in the DC market. With the new members (SU, Pitt, Ville) the attendance there will be great. I don't see Atlanta being a regular rotation site for the ACC. The last tourney there was not well attended. FSU and Clemson fans don't care about basketball and don't attend in any numbers. Plus the SEC is there most years. Georgia/Atlanta is really SEC country even though GaTech is in the city.

Has the ACC announced that DC will be a permanent part of the tourney rotation? It should be to keep a presence in the DC market. With the new members (SU, Pitt, Ville) the attendance there will be great. I don't see Atlanta being a regular rotation site for the ACC. The last tourney there was not well attended. FSU and Clemson fans don't care about basketball and don't attend in any numbers. Plus the SEC is there most years. Georgia/Atlanta is really SEC country even though GaTech is in the city.
The 2016 ACC tournament is in DC I am sure the ACC will maintain a presence in DC somewhat. Atlanta should stay in the rotation because it is the capital of the South and has alumni all of the schools and is an easy flight for the Northeast corridor.
Rotate Greensboro, Boston, NYC, Charlotte, DC, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Pittsburgh. I would make NYC, Greensboro, DC the primary spots, but sprkiling in all of the ACC's footprint is smart just maintain a presence.

The 2016 ACC tournament is in DC I am sure the ACC will maintain a presence in DC somewhat. Atlanta should stay in the rotation because it is the capital of the South and has alumni all of the schools and is an easy flight for the Northeast corridor.
Rotate Greensboro, Boston, NYC, Charlotte, DC, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Pittsburgh. I would make NYC, Greensboro, DC the primary spots, but sprkiling in all of the ACC's footprint is smart just maintain a presence.

Take Miami and Tampa off the list and take Pittsburgh and throw it in a car crusher. Otherwise, pretty solid.

They won't sell many tickets to Maryland and Rutgers fans because their teams will be gone after the first game.

Stinks for Georgetown. Had they founded a D1 football team, seems like they would be have been a realignment prize. Everyone seems to want DC.
I feel REALLY bad for them.

The B1G can fill up DC. Just like there are CNYers all throughout the DC region it's the same with them.

I can't imagine many fans are going to be happy about this.

The battle for NYC is pointless IMO because NYC does NOT care about College Football and that is where the majority money of would be made by either conference having the NYC market for negotiating sponsorships, TV deals, etc.

NYC cares about College Basketball the most popular teams in NYC for college basketball are Syracuse, UConn, St. John's. If the B1G didn't get greedy for the NJ cable boxes for the BTN and wanted more of the NYC market UConn was the better play than Rutgers, but they wanted the NJ cable box money for the BTN. NYC will NEVER officially be a market of exclusivity for either the B1G or ACC I am sure each conference will have the city's attention if they play their conference tournament their, but only the Big East was ever dominant in NYC and that was with Basketball and the Garden tournament.

These conference tournaments in new areas are about sponsorship dollars in new markets. Their are no Bojangles in Syracuse right now, but all these new commercials for Bojangles in new markets could cause a franchise to start up in Pittsburgh or Syracuse because of the advertising it could get.

NYC really doesn't care about college hoops either. The Big East's enormous popularity there in the 80s was as much a fad as anything. I mean, the WWF was wildly popular in the mainstream of NYC in the 80s too. It's a town that loves winners (#1 St. John's, for example) and big events (WrestleMania I, for example).

From a sports standpoint, the only things that legitimately move the needle in NYC, in a significant and long-term way, are the Knicks, Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets and Rangers. That's it, that's the list.

College sports of all kinds are a niche.

I can't imagine many fans are going to be happy about this.

Agree with that, there will probably be a lot of local B1G fans that hate this. I'd bet there are a lot of B1G fans who hate the idea of their 2 newest members, and throwing the tourney in the backyard of one of them? Yeah, probably a lot of people shaking their heads.

They should still fill it up though. Their DC alum bases will be thrilled. It's also as touristy as a city can be, so I'm sure that part will be embraced by plenty as well.

Agree with that, there will probably be a lot of local B1G fans that hate this. I'd bet there are a lot of B1G fans who hate the idea of their 2 newest members, and throwing the tourney in the backyard of one of them? Yeah, probably a lot of people shaking their heads.

They should still fill it up though. Their DC alum bases will be thrilled. It's also as touristy as a city can be, so I'm sure that part will be embraced by plenty as well.

Can't hardly wait for them to block the Metro escalators (In the name of all that's decent and holy, please stand to the right!!!!) and fill the cars during rush hour. :rolleyes:

Syracuse peeps, pray for those Chic Fil A commercials to take hold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom