Big ten | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big ten

What I don't understand and maybe someone can explain it to me. TWC here in Albany has the big 10 network but it's a subscription channel. $5.95 a month I think.

So for us non-subscribers what are we paying for the privilege to even have the channel in the lineup?

It did answer the question. There is no one school in NY that commands the state's attention.

The same can be said of Rutgers and Maryland. The whole state of New Jersey is not focused on Rutgers football. Syracuse, as the ONLY BCS school in NYS gets the BTN on basic cable. That's worth a lot more money than getting on basic cable in Maryland or New Jersey or Georgia. (BTW, who "commands" the State of Georgia's attention? GT or UGA?

The same can be said of Rutgers and Maryland. The whole state of New Jersey is not focused on Rutgers football. Syracuse, as the ONLY BCS school in NYS gets the BTN on basic cable. That's worth a lot more money than getting on basic cable in Maryland or New Jersey or Georgia. (BTW, who "commands" the State of Georgia's attention? GT or UGA?

Fine, but Rutgers and Maryland are the state universities of those states. There is a logical argument to make that the cable systems in those states should be carrying the network devoted to the conference those schools play in.

That doesn't work for SU.

I mean you asked for an answer, I gave it to you, and you won't accept it apparently.

That doesn't answer the question. Let me put it another way: If it is all about expanding the cable TV footprint why is SUNY Buffalo not the top candidate on the east coast?
On that basis it would be Stony Brook!

Fine, but Rutgers and Maryland are the state universities of those states. There is a logical argument to make that the cable systems in those states should be carrying the network devoted to the conference those schools play in.

That doesn't work for SU.

I mean you asked for an answer, I gave it to you, and you won't accept it apparently.

No. I am not accepting it. But that's okay. I said I wouldn't post here anymore if Maryland actually announced it would be going to the Big Ten by midnight tonight. Looks like I lost. Unfortunately, its beginning to look like Syracuse lost also.

Actually at 13 ACC needs 5 for 1st super conference, the schools of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St have more in common with the ACC then Pac12. Also there were the rumors last year when they talked of move to Pac12, that talks between Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma and the ACC happened. Notre Dame came aboard, ESPN and Texas have a problem with the LHN losing money. Dodd, Barron , dislike the Big 10 as much as Notre Dame for pilfering Nebraska. This could be their chance to even the score, and make Big 10 football forever 2nd rate. That conference would match or surpass the SEC, and also force the other conferences to grab what's left

That's where you are wrong about Rutgers. RU games are currently carried by 610 WIP, the main sports talk station in Philly. Rutgers games are more often found on Philly DMA TV than Temple games. The lower bowl of Lincoln Financial Field was 65% Rutgers fans for our game with Temple, with many attendees students and alums from Rutgers-Camden that made a huge event of it. I am from the Exit 4 area off of the NJTP and the group of 20 I was with was all folks from southern NJ, ranging from the Delaware River to Cape May.

Keep telling yourself Rutgers is a non-factor in NJ (or only in parts of NJ near it) if you wish. It was true 20 years ago during Townie's time in NJ during the pre-Greg Schiano era when we were essentially a FCS team or we were led by inept ADs and coaches. Delaney is not a fool and if you can't see the significance of having 50,000 ticket buyers for a game against Howard on the same day you play USC in front of 39,000 up the road, you are always going to see what you want to see.

That's where you are wrong about Rutgers. RU games are currently carried by 610 WIP, the main sports talk station in Philly. Rutgers games are more often found on Philly DMA TV than Temple games. The lower bowl of Lincoln Financial Field was 65% Rutgers fans for our game with Temple, with many attendees students and alums from Rutgers-Camden that made a huge event of it. I am from the Exit 4 area off of the NJTP and the group of 20 I was with was all folks from southern NJ, ranging from the Delaware River to Cape May.

Keep telling yourself Rutgers is a non-factor in NJ (or only in parts of NJ near it) if you wish. It was true 20 years ago during Townie's time in NJ during the pre-Greg Schiano era when we were essentially a FCS team or we were led by inept ADs and coaches. Delaney is not a fool and if you can't see the significance of having 50,000 ticket buyers for a game against Howard on the same day you play USC in front of 39,000 up the road, you are always going to see what you want to see.

You realize that a decent portion of this board lives in the metro area. You can try selling it all you want, but we know better. Outside of a 20 mile radius, Rutgers is the 6th option. That's the reality of living in a pro sports market.

So when I can point to the highest ranked college games ever in the NYC DMA on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU involving a Rutgers team, I should instead place higher value on your anecdotal opinions of the people here who live within 20 miles of the city? If I've learned anything from reading here, it's that many of you want Rutgers to be the Rutgers of long ago, not the Rutgers of today (hell, you want the same for your own team, too). Yes, we have little or no national brand. And yes, the NY-Philly region is pro sports-oriented. But of the teams available for expansion to the Big TEN where potential eyeballs matter most, tell me who would be the better candidate?
There are two factors at work here:
1) basic math -- even just 20% of 9 million (the population of NJ) is greater than, say, 60% of the population of Syracuse and surrounding areas (and please don't tell me Cuse has statewide appeal); there will also always be way more potential cable subscribers that are alums in a state with an FBS team from a massive land grant, public u. than in a state with an FBS team from a smaller private u.)
2) trends in our universities' profiles -- your loss of AAU status and our getting back our university hospital system, UMDNJ (which officially happened on Monday which was no coincidence) which was stolen from Rutgers years ago, was HUGE to the Big TEN.

So when I can point to the highest ranked college games ever in the NYC DMA on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU involving a Rutgers team, I should instead place higher value on your anecdotal opinions of the people here who live within 20 miles of the city? If I've learned anything from reading here, it's that many of you want Rutgers to be the Rutgers of long ago, not the Rutgers of today (hell, you want the same for your own team, too). Yes, we have little or no national brand. And yes, the NY-Philly region is pro sports-oriented. But of the teams available for expansion to the Big TEN where potential eyeballs matter most, tell me who would be the better candidate?
There are two factors at work here:
1) basic math -- even just 20% of 9 million (the population of NJ) is greater than, say, 60% of the population of Syracuse and surrounding areas (and please don't tell me Cuse has statewide appeal); there will also always be way more potential cable subscribers that are alums in a state with an FBS team from a massive land grant, public u. than in a state with an FBS team from a smaller private u.)
2) trends in our universities' profiles -- your loss of AAU status and our getting back our university hospital system, UMDNJ (which officially happened on Monday which was no coincidence) which was stolen from Rutgers years ago, was HUGE to the Big TEN.
Let's not get delusional here.

What actually happened is the B1G needed to add another school to join with Maryland and you were the best option of the unpopular girls still without a date the night before the prom.

Congratulations to you though on escaping the Island of Unloved Toys!

Misfit+Toys.jpg

Let's not get delusional here.

What actually happened is the B1G needed to add another school to join with Maryland and you were the best option of the unpopular girls still without a date the night before the prom.

Congratulations to you though on escaping the Island of Unloved Toys!

Misfit+Toys.jpg

WTH?!? Christmas creep on SyracuseFan?!?! It's not even Thanksgiving yet and we are already getting Christmas references/posts!?!? (Note: was actually funny)

Congrats on your B1G offer, really. But please STOP. You are drinking the kool-aid if you think there were 50k fans at the RU Howard game. I am local to RU, there were not 50K fans there.

Another thing, RU got their B1G offer, we have absolutly nothing to do with Rutgers anymore. Please go away. We do not care to hear from RU posters on this board.

If you guys really aren't willing to accept that RU was lined up as early as 2 years ago (when Tagliabue was taking shots at us, asking who on Long Island would be interested in watching Minnesota vs. RU, and Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune was laying out the stats about our popularity in the NJ part of the NYC DMA), then again, I can't change the minds of those who will always see what they want to see.

Orangeinjersey - Notice I said 50k "ticket buyers" (minus the students). There will always be a ton of people that stay outside when an FCS team comes to town but there certainly were a ton of people excited about our first home game, regardless of who we played.

sutomcat - The history lesson at the bottom of your posts is interesting. It is history though.

I give up. Good luck in the ACC (if it remains a bona fide football conference - although it appears here some of you only care about b-ball).

I'll miss townie the most.

If you guys really aren't willing to accept that RU was lined up as early as 2 years ago (when Tagliabue was taking shots at us, asking who on Long Island would be interested in watching Minnesota vs. RU, and Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune was laying out the stats about our popularity in the NJ part of the NYC DMA), then again, I can't change the minds of those who will always see what they want to see.

Orangeinjersey - Notice I said 50k "ticket buyers" (minus the students). There will always be a ton of people that stay outside when an FCS team comes to town but there certainly were a ton of people excited about our first home game, regardless of who we played.

sutomcat - The history lesson at the bottom of your posts is interesting. It is history though.

I give up. Good luck in the ACC (if it remains a bona fide football conference - although it appears here some of you only care about b-ball).

No one cares. You guys are going to be cannon fodder. Your hoops sux and you play competitive football in a bad conference, like we do. At some point it's about competing year after year after year in sports and playing like - minded schools.

The truth is that ND is a bigger TV draw in the NYC market than any college football team. That is what the TV execs say. The B1G certainly is aware of that and when they couldn't get ND they didn't have any other options. They got two financial train wrecks.

You mean this history:

Syracuse is the 15th winningest program in Division 1-A college football history
Only USC (11), ND (10), Pittsburgh (8), UM (8) and Ohio St (8) have more members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame than Syracuse (7)
Syracuse is the 5th winningest program in Division I college basketball history, trailing only Kentucky, UNC, Kansas and Duke
Syracuse has the 7th highest winning percentage in Division I college basketball history

This is called ongoing history that is still currently being added to. We'll have more football wins, more hall of famers and more basketball wins. Just continue being as delusional as you want.

This is what fans of teams say who don't have any history/tradition. Your school is an obvious pawn, so don't go patting yourself on the back. As far as our school, We are going to be just fine. We are an academic and athletic brand name that your school would some day aspire to be. That ain't changing anytime soon. There is a reason you were repeatedly passed over for expansion and were amongst the last schools picked in gym class.

And just stop with the popularity in NYC. I live here. You sound ridiculous.

You will be a less than Northwestern. And that may be awesome for rutgers because they are getting paid. But to be a fan, that would suck. Winning is fun, and we will experience that, you won't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom