Big trouble in Little Pittsburgh? | Syracusefan.com

Big trouble in Little Pittsburgh?

Is Pitt taking a play from the BC playbook, firing her for applying for the Ad position at Northwestern?

Is Pitt taking a play from the BC playbook, firing her for applying for the Ad position at Northwestern?
That would be something.

On the surface, it looks like she has been doing a good job. That $240 new facility she is championing that only has $12 million for it so far might be the problem.

These days, if you can't raise money, you have major issues. I wonder if this is related to something along those lines?

Yes I would
Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

She was interviewing for other AD roles because Pitt is a tough job and probably not willing to do what it takes to be successful and relevant with everything changing in college athletics.
Her contract was also set to expire. Big head scratcher as she was AD of the year in 2023

Last edited:
Does ADJW reach out and bring her in, temporarily, as an advisor? Get an outsider view on the Cuse program. Good for counter intelligence and self scouting.

Might be that Joan Gabel is a lot like Buzz Shaw - and Lyke wasn't enough like Jake.

If the Gabel - Shaw comparison is valid, Pitt athletics is screwed regardless who the next AD is.
$240 million for a facility for sports that lose money seems a little crazy. I think the chancellor was right to question this….

$240 million for a facility for sports that lose money seems a little crazy. I think the chancellor was right to question this….

I'd be a little surprised if that's the core issue - construction costs have gone up so dramatically that $240MM for a facility isn't eye-popping. Even for a building that won't host revenue generating sports. And it seems like it got far enough along that nobody was balking at the cost. The bigger issue is fundraising - that was her signature success at Eastern Michigan, generating a huge increase in athletic donations. $12MM raised for the new facility indicates she wasn't having the same success at Pitt; interviewing at Northwestern could have been due to a realization it wasn't possible to have success increasing fundraising at Pitt. Or at least she knew she sure as heck wasn't going to do it.

Anyone looking at that job needs to figure out why Lyke wasn't able to increase donations to a level she'd almost certainly projected that she would - if they can't increase donations, they cannot succeed as AD.

So I don't agree with your take - if the $240MM was the core issue, I'd say the Gable-Shaw comparison is valid. If the $12MM is the core problem, its probably not (but whoever comes in better figure out a way to increase donations knowing they are following someone who had a proven track record of doing so and didn't at Pitt...that's a tough assignment).

As a caveat, I've read exactly three articles related to Lyke, Pitt athletics, and her termination and I DID NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night - so my analysis could be utterly worthless garbage.

Might be that Joan Gabel is a lot like Buzz Shaw - and Lyke wasn't enough like Jake.

If the Gabel - Shaw comparison is valid, Pitt athletics is screwed regardless who the next AD is.

Yeah, the "do more with less" philosophy is a sure-fired way to ensure you aren't a competitive destination for the big revenue-driven sports in today's environment.

Also sounds as if Lyke saw the writing on the wall and was shamelessly shopping herself to other programs and wanted out at the first good oppo.

I doubt she is disappointed with her walking papers.

I'd be a little surprised if that's the core issue - construction costs have gone up so dramatically that $240MM for a facility isn't eye-popping. Even for a building that won't host revenue generating sports. And it seems like it got far enough along that nobody was balking at the cost. The bigger issue is fundraising - that was her signature success at Eastern Michigan, generating a huge increase in athletic donations. $12MM raised for the new facility indicates she wasn't having the same success at Pitt; interviewing at Northwestern could have been due to a realization it wasn't possible to have success increasing fundraising at Pitt. Or at least she knew she sure as heck wasn't going to do it.

Anyone looking at that job needs to figure out why Lyke wasn't able to increase donations to a level she'd almost certainly projected that she would - if they can't increase donations, they cannot succeed as AD.

So I don't agree with your take - if the $240MM was the core issue, I'd say the Gable-Shaw comparison is valid. If the $12MM is the core problem, its probably not (but whoever comes in better figure out a way to increase donations knowing they are following someone who had a proven track record of doing so and didn't at Pitt...that's a tough assignment).

As a caveat, I've read exactly three articles related to Lyke, Pitt athletics, and her termination and I DID NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night - so my analysis could be utterly worthless garbage.
I think there were a number of issues that drove this but to me, this one was the biggest. If there was strong support from it from the donors, maybe.

Pretty sure $240 million for a 240,000 square foot facility for only volleyball, wrestling and gymastics is really extravagant. Pretty sure it is something no one else in the country is asking for or would seriously pursue. Especially with the huge money crunch college ADs now face.

I understand the disconnect between the chancellor and the AD.