Biggest But Best Misses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest But Best Misses

I misunderstood the thread topic. I think there are far more players the staff didn't pursue that wound up being train wrecks elsewhere than there are guys we tried to get, missed on and then they crashed and burned somewhere else.

I misunderstood the thread topic. I think there are far more players the staff didn't pursue that wound up being train wrecks elsewhere than there are guys we tried to get, missed on and then they crashed and burned somewhere else.

They don't necessarily need to be train wrecks. Julius Hodge and Boo Harvey were all conference level players. But I don't think anyone is sad we lost either of those guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Juice wasn't worth the squeeze IMO.

Is to me. Had about 150 Fall Saturdays in a row of misery give or take about about 2 dozen. Va Tech on the other hand has been relevant and kept pulling in QBs since he got there. Marcus on the other hand I could do without.

Anthony Davis.

We don't lose a game that year if he came. Him and Fab Melo on defense? Omg...

Serious question. As somebody who didn't join the forum until a few years ago, how close were we to landing Anthony Davis?

Jermaine Lawrence achieved legendary "must get" "can't miss" status with posters on this board a few years back. Ended up committing to Cinci and it began to unravel from there. He's currently out of basketball after a checkered college career on and off the floor.

How about Marbury? He was one-and-done at GaTech, and made little difference to their program. That same year, we go to the FF without him.

Its questionable because who knows what happens with him, he was pretty incredible.

Yeah he was from DeMatha.

The only kid I ever recall getting from there was Grant.

Not necessarily a DeMatha graduate, but Edelin played at DeMatha before transferring to Oak Hill.

Kenny Anderson, we needed a PG desperately.

Carlton Hines never making it here was a bummer.

Karlton Hines was the first one I thought of, so that dates me. He was shot and killed on a street corner a few years later. RIP

And Ol Morgan Wooten made sure Billy didn't make the Mickey D game that year. Hold grudges much, coach?
Neither did Paul Harris, even though he was a nationally rated recruit as a high-school senior. I believe Morgan W didn't like some of Paul's "history" as a young teenager in Niagara Falls, so he blackballed him.

Was the General a back-up plan to King Rice?

Was the General a back-up plan to King Rice?
I think not.

I have a timeline in my head--Douglass was a year ahead of Coleman, who was in the same class as JR Reid at UNC. When Rice was asked about his recruitment, he mentioned that he was impressed by Dean Smith's chewing Reid out when Reid (the star of the team) fouled up in practice. So, Rice was behind Reid/Coleman, who were behind Douglass. At least 2 years' difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom