Biggest But Best Misses | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest But Best Misses

Won't say Dakari Johnson because I still think he could've been a top 10 pick at SU. I am not happy he didn't come here and I feel for the kid as Kentucky clearly was not the best opportunity at the time.

Thought this could be fun, and a valuable lesson on having more faith in the staff's ability to judge talent, character and fit.

Thinking back, what recruit in the last 20 years did you really want Syracuse to sign, and were disappointed when we didn't land them...only to look back in retrospect and be glad they never donned a Syracuse uniform? And why?

Mine would be Rysheed Jordan. He was a 4 star kid out of Philly and a top 40 recruit who ended up at St Johns.

He was charged with murder last year, and never lived up to his rating.

Tommy Lewis, USC, Pepperdine, Barizon School of Modeling. Led USC in Scoring freshman year before leaving. Syracuse was in his final three but he waited and did not make a decision to play until right before the season.

Supposedly no one one his team at USC liked him.

Tommy Lewis, USC, Pepperdine, Barizon School of Modeling. Led USC in Scoring freshman year before leaving. Syracuse was in his final three but he waited and did not make a decision to play until right before the season.

Great answer!

Was he part of that disastrous class of 1987 effort? I believe so. We lost out on all of our top prospects from that class -- forwards Marcus Liberty, Dennis Scott, Anthony Tucker who went to Georgetown, Lewis and "local" guard King Rice, who was long considered an SU lean -- and ended up signing ZERO players that class. Some of which was undoubtedly attributable to the huge class we signed the year before [DC, Stevie, Duncan, Hughes]. But it is unusual to not bring in any recruits in a given year.

EDIT -- found this link to Hoop Scoop's top 100 for the class of 1987
hot

Interesting to read the names on that list [including the guy at the top of the list]. So many of those guys who went to big schools didn't pan out -- at all.

Last edited:
Was he part of that disastrous class of 1987 effort? I believe so. We lost out on all of our top prospects from that class -- forwards Marcus Liberty, Dennis Scott, Anthony Tucker who went to Georgetown, Lewis and "local" guard King Rice, who was long considered an SU lean -- and ended up signing ZERO players that class. Some of which was undoubtedly attributable to the huge class we signed the year before [DC, Stevie, Duncan, Hughes]. But it is unusual to not bring in any recruits in a given year.

hot

Interesting to read the names on that list [including the guy at the top of the list]. So many of those guys who went to big schools didn't pan out -- at all.
Believe that it was 1985-1986. He played with Hank Gaithers at USC. Both transferred after their freshman year.

Last edited:

hot

Delino Deshields sighting
33338-47Fr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom