Biggest winners and losers from the Florida State National Title | Syracusefan.com

Biggest winners and losers from the Florida State National Title

Alsacs

Living Legend
Losers:
1. SEC fans being able to chant "S-E-C, S-E-C" for atleast 1 year.
2. WVU fans who claimed that no team playing in the ACC could win a NC title and that because they were in aso-called big boy conference the ACC would crumble and Florida State/Clemson would come to the Big XII.
3. Florida Gator fans having 8 losses and their coach losing grip of the program while their in-state rival is having a new golden age.
4. The rest of the ACC as Florida State has Jameis Winston for atleast 1 more year and this team is stacked for the forseeable future.
5. Brent Musberger- I love the guy, but he struggled during the broadcast and made several gaffes. Also, he kept comparing Florida State to the SEC which isn't fair to FSU.

Winners
1. Jimbo Fisher- is not only 325,000 dollars richer for that win last night, but he established himself is a Nick Saban like coach with how he rebuilt FSU post-Bobby Bowden. Typically you don't want to be the guy that replaces the legend you want to be the guy that replaces the guy that replaces the legend, but Fisher has proven he is the man.
2. John Swofford- he trolled the SEC fans last night saying he didn't hear S-E-C chants at the end of the game. Also, his conference finished the BCS era tied for the 2nd most overall titles from the BCS era.
The final tally SEC 9 NCs, ACC 2 NCs, Big XII 2 NCs, B1G 1 NC, Pac-12 1 NC, Big East(but now ACC) 1 NC.
3. ACC Football reputation. With Clemson and Florida State winning BCS bowls the ACC is finally improving its image.
4. Auburn D- even though they lost the game the fact they held the Florida State offense to 27 points after what Missouri put on them showed they weren't that bad.

ACC's number of bcs championships should just be 3 with an *. There should be no mention of the BE conference at this point. Miami is acc.

Based on the reaction of posters on the Boneyard to FSU's comeback win I'd have to put UCONN fans in the "Losers" camp.

Wait a minute! Weren't they already there?

Gus out coached Jimbo in the first half of this game. Fisher made some nice adjustments and evened the score. Good job by the staffs and kids in this game.

ACC's number of bcs championships should just be 3 with an *. There should be no mention of the BE conference at this point. Miami is acc.
Nah. They were in the Big East at the time. Is our basketball NC suddenly an ACC NC?

UConn fans make it so easy to dislike their program. They are convinced because of one Boston Globe article that none of the national experts on realignment have confirmed is true meant that the ACC wanted Syracuse and UConn in 2011, but ended up with Syracuse and Pittsburgh because big and powerful Boston College didn't want them in the ACC. I am sick of feeling bad for UConn to quote Marsh .

I'd be bitter as hell if I were in UConns shoes as well. They are in purgatory.

..... They are in purgatory.

husky-head-stuck-in-door.jpg

Nah. They were in the Big East at the time. Is our basketball NC suddenly an ACC NC?

But BE football doesnt exist any more.

UConn fans make it so easy to dislike their program. They are convinced because of one Boston Globe article that none of the national experts on realignment have confirmed is true meant that the ACC wanted Syracuse and UConn in 2011, but ended up with Syracuse and Pittsburgh because big and powerful Boston College didn't want them in the ACC. I am sick of feeling bad for UConn to quote Marsh .

It was never going to be UConn. Swofford wanted ND. Pitt is a natural rival for ND in football. SU also has a deep history of playing ND. It was NEVER going to be UConn.

Winner : Duke - they have new found respectability and damn near everyone returning.

SU - using the NC exception we now exclude the FSU game from our record and are suddenly 7-5!

It was never going to be UConn. Swofford wanted ND. Pitt is a natural rival for ND in football. SU also has a deep history of playing ND. It was NEVER going to be UConn.
Try telling that to UConn fans and you will get devoured faster than Kim Jong Un's uncle who was fed to over 120 hungry dogs. They are beyond delusional and think because of one Boston Globe article which was written by a guy who has no contacts in the ACC outside of BC that UConn was the 2nd choice in 2011 until BC told the rest of the ACC NO UConn and so they turned to Pittsburgh. UConn fans are nuts about this, and if it was true the Brett McMurphy's, Pat Forde's of the world would have reported about it.

Losers:
1. SEC fans being able to chant "S-E-C, S-E-C" for atleast 1 year.
2. WVU fans who claimed that no team playing in the ACC could win a NC title and that because they were in aso-called big boy conference the ACC would crumble and Florida State/Clemson would come to the Big XII.
3. Florida Gator fans having 8 losses and their coach losing grip of the program while their in-state rival is having a new golden age.
4. The rest of the ACC as Florida State has Jameis Winston for atleast 1 more year and this team is stacked for the forseeable future.
5. Brent Musberger- I love the guy, but he struggled during the broadcast and made several gaffes. Also, he kept comparing Florida State to the SEC which isn't fair to FSU.

Winners
1. Jimbo Fisher- is not only 325,000 dollars richer for that win last night, but he established himself is a Nick Saban like coach with how he rebuilt FSU post-Bobby Bowden. Typically you don't want to be the guy that replaces the legend you want to be the guy that replaces the guy that replaces the legend, but Fisher has proven he is the man.
2. John Swofford- he trolled the SEC fans last night saying he didn't hear S-E-C chants at the end of the game. Also, his conference finished the BCS era tied for the 2nd most overall titles from the BCS era.
The final tally SEC 9 NCs, ACC 2 NCs, Big XII 2 NCs, B1G 1 NC, Pac-12 1 NC, Big East(but now ACC) 1 NC.
3. ACC Football reputation. With Clemson and Florida State winning BCS bowls the ACC is finally improving its image.
4. Auburn D- even though they lost the game the fact they held the Florida State offense to 27 points after what Missouri put on them showed they weren't that bad.
chanting the name of your conference is so lame. they should be embarassed

Agreed. Plus the Big 12 was also looking at Pitt at that time and for the same reason, to try and get ND as well. Only quibble I have with your post is SU and ND having a "deep" history considering we went 40 years without playing them in football. I do believe we have developed a decent rivalry in basketball and a great one in lacrosse. But I think the appeal of SU to ND is mostly that we were willing to play them in NYC and that we are a fellow private.

Cheers,
Neil

Plus, as they deny time and time again, tradition and history matter. Football matters. SU has a national title in FB. Pitt has a national title in FB. All UConn has is men's and women's BB. BC in no way, shape, or form has the power in the ACC to blackball anyone. Can they suggest and make their preferences known? Sure. Will it make a big difference? No. I would submit to the board that SU probably has more power in the ACC right now than BC does.

chanting the name of your conference is so lame. they should be embarassed

The chant is creepy but it works as it has hypnotized many an announcer into calling schools from the SEC, SEC teams.

Try telling that to UConn fans and you will get devoured faster than Kim Jong Un's uncle who was fed to over 120 hungry dogs. They are beyond delusional and think because of one Boston Globe article which was written by a guy who has no contacts in the ACC outside of BC that UConn was the 2nd choice in 2011 until BC told the rest of the ACC NO UConn and so they turned to Pittsburgh. UConn fans are nuts about this, and if it was true the Brett McMurphy's, Pat Forde's of the world would have reported about it.

They can say what they want. It was always Pitt over UConn. This was as much a move to bolster football and basketball as it was to keep Pitt away from the BiG. Pitt and ND have history. Don't think Swofford didn't have his eyes fixed on South Bend from day one in 2011. Some might say he had his eyes on PSU as well. He may have pulled that off if Maryland didn't rat him out.

UConn was not a primary target. Never was. They were fall back only.

They can say what they want. It was always Pitt over UConn. This was as much a move to bolster football and basketball as it was to keep Pitt away from the BiG. Pitt and ND have history. Don't think Swofford didn't have his eyes fixed on South Bend from day one in 2011. Some might say he had his eyes on PSU as well. He may have pulled that off if Maryland didn't rat him out.

UConn was not a primary target. Never was. They were fall back only.
I agree with you, but I am just saying I tried in the summer to have a conservation with UConn fans about this very thing and they won't admit the truth because of 1 dumb Boston Globe article. UConn's overall brand is affected by their lack of a football history. Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia had the best brands in the old Big East. Rutgers was a typical 1980/90's wrestling jobber. Louisville and Cincinnati were teams with less successful brands than the WVU, Pitt, SU, but had been in the game for a while, but were never bigboys. South Florida/UConn were program building from the ground floor. UConn fans believe because they had a couple of decent seasons in the weakest big conference in the country that washes EVERY thing out and their football program is on par with the rest of the conference teams with longer history. If UConn dominated the conference during that time frame and won conference championships each season like Boise State did with WAC then maybe they could wash away their lack of history.

However, they fail to realize they were nothing more than mediocre and they were given a golden ticket in a big boy league when they did nothing to deserve it, but play basketball with those schools. If Appalachian State/ East Carolina were given invitations into the ACC they would be able to do what Uconn did in 10 years as well. I feel nothing about that program and they feel basketball hate means football hate when it does not. We are a private school they are public school we have no rivalry with them. I just hope they realize the B1G dream is nothing more than that and they will never be in the ACC because of the damage they caused in their lawsuit.

Last edited:
Losers:

It may turn ugly, but I am really looking forward to seeing Winston in the Dome next year!

I agree with you, but I am just saying I tried in the summer to have a conservation with UConn fans about this very thing and they won't admit the truth because of 1 dumb Boston Globe article. UConn's overall brand is affected by their lack of a football history. Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia had the best brands in the old Big East. Rutgers was a typical 1980/90's wrestling jobber. Louisville and Cincinnati were teams with less successful brands than the WVU, Pitt, SU, but had been in the game for a while, but were never bigboys. South Florida/UConn were program building from the ground floor. UConn fans believe because they had a couple of decent seasons in the weakest big conference in the country that washes EVERY thing out and their football program is on par with the rest of the conference teams with longer history. If UConn dominated the conference during that time frame and won conference championships each season like Boise State did with WAC then maybe they could wash away their lack of history.

However, they feel to realize they were nothing more than mediocre and they were given a golden ticket in a big boy league when they did nothing to deserve it, but play basketball with those schools. If Appalachian State/ East Carolina were given invitations into the ACC they would be able to do what Uconn did in 10 years as well. I feel nothing about that program and they feel basketball hate means football hate when it does not. We are a private school they are public school we have no rivalry with them. I just hope they realize the B1G dream is nothing more than that and they will never be in the ACC because of the damage they caused in their lawsuit.
What is the Globe article to which you refer? The one that said BC kept them out of the ACC? Just want to make sure in my own mind. Thanks.

What is the Globe article to which you refer? The one that said BC kept them out of the ACC? Just want to make sure in my own mind. Thanks.
Power move by ACC
There is the link.
Uconn fans think Mark Blaudschum is the end all be all because he says what they want to believe. Boston College didn't want UConn in the ACC, but they weren't a lock for the 2nd team. They were probably vetted with Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers and were somewhat interesting until the conference decided on Pittsburgh. BC has NO POWER in that conference and I have tried to tell them. However, when your in an echo chamber they will hear and listen to what they want to hear. If what Blaudschum says is true an ESPN guy would have confirmed it subsequently and UConn would have never been speculated as the replacement for Maryland before Louisville got in 2012. If UConn wasn't good enough in 2011 over Pitt they weren't going to be than Louisville in 2012.

Power move by ACC
There is the link.
Uconn fans think Mark Blaudschum is the end all be all because he says what they want to believe. Boston College didn't want UConn in the ACC, but they weren't a lock for the 2nd team. They were probably vetted with Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers and were somewhat interesting until the conference decided on Pittsburgh. BC has NO POWER in that conference and I have tried to tell them. However, when your in an echo chamber they will hear and listen to what they want to hear. If what Blaudschum says is true an ESPN guy would have confirmed it subsequently and UConn would have never been speculated as the replacement for Maryland before Louisville got in 2012. If UConn wasn't good enough in 2011 over Pitt they weren't going to be than Louisville in 2012.
I could swear that I read somewhere, way back when, that the list of schools to consider was provided as part of a research project with ESPN. ACC wanted to boost the value of their contract, and needed to add 2 teams to trigger a clause that allowed for re-opening the contract negotiations with ESPN. So they asked ESPN which teams would be best to add, and ESPN initially said SU and UConn. Then BC stirred up anti-UConn machinations, and ESPN's analysis showed that Pitt was the next best choice.

I could swear that I read somewhere, way back when, that the list of schools to consider was provided as part of a research project with ESPN. ACC wanted to boost the value of their contract, and needed to add 2 teams to trigger a clause that allowed for re-opening the contract negotiations with ESPN. So they asked ESPN which teams would be best to add, and ESPN initially said SU and UConn. Then BC stirred up anti-UConn machinations, and ESPN's analysis showed that Pitt was the next best choice.
Frank the Tank a B1G blogger did something like what you are talking about. However, if ESPN publicly did what you said that is tortuous interference and could have gotten the ACC/ESPN sued so I doubt such a document was ever leaked publicly. Pitt is more valuable than UConn overall. UConn has good sports programs, but their football program which is the most important cog in TV dollars is a nothing nationally. People know Tony Dorsett, Curtis Martin, Larry Fitzgerald. I honestly don't know any UConn stars in the NFL except the idiot QB who ran outside of his own endzone for safety for the Lions and Donald Brown on the Colts. I know they had a lot of draft picks in the last few years, but I don't know the specific players.