Bigs Coach status? | Syracusefan.com

Bigs Coach status?

Next Bigs Coach?

• Total voters

Sgt Cuse

All Conference
Does anyone know the status of the Bigs Coach? I am hoping that a change will be made.

I always thought the Hop thing was a temporary deal. And by my assessment it was a colossal failure. The whole Fab fiasco responsibility runs through the bigs coach. I can't remember any other big going out with academic problems. That problem along with no measurable improvement in the bigs that I could see, gives Hop a failing mark.

If Bernie's tenure is representative of the position, then learning the job can take time. If results are indicative of how well the job is being done, then BF got better with time. His last few bigs of Fab, RJ, and AO all had dramatic improvement. And those players all improved more than say someone like Conrad, who seemed to ooze potential, who BF had earlier in his career.

If it takes time to master the position, then the earlier we get someone in, the quicker they can get good at it (assuming we don't hire an experienced guy off the bat). Times a wastin'.

Assuming an in-house hire, these are my leading candidates:
DC
Rosie
Danny
Rony
Bernie (that's right Bernie)

Anyone know what is going on?

Does anyone know the status of the Bigs Coach? I am hoping that a change will be made.

I always thought the Hop thing was a temporary deal. And by my assessment it was a colossal failure. The whole Fab fiasco responsibility runs through the bigs coach. I can't remember any other big going out with academic problems. That problem along with no measurable improvement in the bigs that I could see, gives Hop a failing mark.

If Bernie's tenure is representative of the position, then learning the job can take time. If results are indicative of how well the job is being done, then BF got better with time. His last few bigs of Fab, RJ, and AO all had dramatic improvement. And those players all improved more than say someone like Conrad, who seemed to ooze potential, who BF had earlier in his career.

If it takes time to master the position, then the earlier we get someone in, the quicker they can get good at it (assuming we don't hire an experienced guy off the bat). Times a wastin'.

DC
Rosie
Danny
Rony

Fab's issues were his own. If the kid failed (refused) to do his work, what should be done: shoot him? Threaten his family? Break his turn signal? Where (in your opinion) does Fab's responsibility lie? Anywhere?
I thought our bigs did well on the court, and Rak progressed well. You are, IMNSHO, wrong sir and far off base.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I thought I read somewhere that we are already at our limit as far as assistant coaches are concerned? If that is the case, who would you let go to bring in a replacement? I don't believe BF will ever work again anywhere, especially at SU, reputation took too big a hit.

I thought I read somewhere that we are already at our limit as far as assistant coaches are concerned? If that is the case, who would you let go to bring in a replacement? I don't believe BF will ever work again anywhere, especially at SU, reputation took too big a hit.
I think that may be a big part of the lack of movement. They are probably waiting for one of the guard assistant coaches to find another job. They probably don't want to force anyone out, they would prefer they leave on their own accord.

As for BF, it would certainly be a long shot. There would need to be a public explanation of the tape. There is the idea that rehiring him could be a big boost to SU's rep though. It would send a strong signal that BF was falsely accused. Tough to have a homosexual/bisexual coach though.

Still, I would prefer a different bigs coach. Hop is being groomed for the overall gig. Someone else needs to be learning the bigs role. Hop should be involved in this hire.

Looks like the first step will be watching for one of the guard assistant coaches to find another position.

Jack Nicklaus' coach didn't look like, nor was he able to play as well as, Jack. But he could see what Jack needed to improve and help him do it. I think he did pretty well. :)

A big man BB coach doesn't have to be a big man. All he has to know are the fundamentals and how to teach them. I agree with Capt. Tuttle. Our big men made good progress this past year. Melo didn't have sense enough to appreciate what he had and screwed himself and the team in the process.

DC
Rosie
Danny
Rony

Do you give BF a pass on Mookie Watkins and Terrance Roberts? Watkins has NBA talent and never even came close to reaching his potential under BF. Fab's unwillingness to go to class cannot all be blamed on his position coach. There are some players that just can't be reached.

Really!? Bernie's BEST case scenario is that he is a wrongfully accused, outed gay man. It may not be PC, but I don't see us landing a lot of 18 year old men with a gay coach on staff. Unfortunately it will take generations for that not to matter.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

1) a change won't be made.
2) fabs issues were fab-centric.

Hop, Autry and gmac is an upgrade over hop Autry and mr clipboard.

As for BF, it would certainly be a long shot. There would need to be a public explanation of the tape. There is the idea that rehiring him could be a big boost to SU's rep though. It would send a strong signal that BF was falsely accused. Tough to have a homosexual/bisexual coach though..

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be decided that Bernie should return. But I will give you a pass for this one, Sarge.;)

Jack Nicklaus' coach didn't look like, nor was he able to play as well as, Jack. But he could see what Jack needed to improve and help him do it. I think he did pretty well. :)

A big man BB coach doesn't have to be a big man. All he has to know are the fundamentals and how to teach them. I agree with Capt. Tuttle. Our big men made good progress this past year. Melo didn't have sense enough to appreciate what he had and screwed himself and the team in the process.
Certainly, a big man coach doesn't have to be a big man. Doesn't seem like it would hurt though. Doesn't have to be within the family, but why not.

Sure the big man coach should know the fundamentals and how to teach them. And when did Hop get this training? And is it the best use of Hop's time now to learn it? Hop is still scheduled to run this show.

I disagree with the assessment of progress in the big man throughout the season. Rak looked decent back at his old high school position of center. But I would like to see him progress as a PF and I didn't see it. PF is Rak's future.

Usually, a big improvement can be made during the offseason. I hope they can find somewhere/someone to help.

1) a change won't be made.
2) fabs issues were fab-centric.

Hop, Autry and gmac is an upgrade over hop Autry and mr clipboard.
1. The change would start by Gmac finding another opportunity.
2. Certainly Fab has a huge role in his problems. The issue is whether with better oversight it could have been avoided. I contend the situation blindsided Hop. And when presented with the situation he couldn't quietly dispose of it. I think BF would have gotten it done.

You're claiming a switch from BF to gmac has been an upgrade. I thought it was Autry that was promoted. But in any event, I disagree. The current staff is too guard oriented.

Do you give BF a pass on Mookie Watkins and Terrance Roberts? Watkins has NBA talent and never even came close to reaching his potential under BF. Fab's unwillingness to go to class cannot all be blamed on his position coach. There are some players that just can't be reached.
No, I do not give Bernie a pass. My point is it took Bernie a long time to get good at being a big mans coach. To think Hop is going to quickly master it as a side job (to his real gig as learning the head coach role) is not realistic.

I would like to see SU get a full time Bigs coach. I do not think that person should be Hop. I would like to see them go in-house.

Oh awesome, the "DC as big man coach" meme is back.

Let's see, pros for DC:

He played power forward for Syracuse

He looks good in an orange tie

Did you hear about the time he threatened to kill Billy Owens?

I think that definitely outweighs his zero coaching experience and his reputation for having no work ethic.

I think Coleman's current role as go-to ESPN shot in athe middle of a Syracuse 10-0 run is perfect for him.

Yeah. This is definitely a teaching the pig to sing thread.

Rony says hi.

Oh awesome, the "DC as big man coach" meme is back.

Let's see, pros for DC:

He played power forward for Syracuse

He looks good in an orange tie

Did you hear about the time he threatened to kill Billy Owens?

I think that definitely outweighs his zero coaching experience and his reputation for having no work ethic.

I think Coleman's current role as go-to ESPN shot in athe middle of a Syracuse 10-0 run is perfect for him.
I presented him as an option. Looks like he has more training than Hop. And if you need to have someone learn on the job why not someone with a little credibility and name recognition. You think NN was impressed that he was going to be learning from Hop.

As for an alledged threat 30 years ago - let it go.

As for work ethic, you do realize gmac had his own stories of fishing. It can be a do as I say, not as I did, kind of thing - don't make the same mistakes.

I don't know if he is the top option, but I think he would be better than having Hop do it again. Hop should be learning the whole deal, not this specific function.

I could make argueqent that the guy who has over fifteen years experience coaching has more credibility.

I could also make an argument that the guy who played his last NBA game seven years ago doesn't have a lot of name recognition.

I could make argueqent that the guy who has over fifteen years experience coaching has more credibility.

I could also make an argument that the guy who played his last NBA game seven years ago doesn't have a lot of name recognition.
Okay, I can see arguments against DC.

My point is to have Hop concentrate on learning how to be head coach and moved out of the big man coaching position.

I think Hop should be involved in the decision. Seems like SU goes to past players a lot in there hiring, but if they went for someone like that Pete Newell character, I'm on board.

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be decided that Bernie should return. But I will give you a pass for this one, Sarge.;)
Hey, a person can hope. I think it would do wonders for SU's rep if BF made it back. All articles on him mention he was fired and it is part of the negative press.

Would need the Feds to charge BD with extortion and maybe some type of conspiracy with Laurie to defraud BF. I think there was a reason BD never gave the tape to anyone official and the reason for that will come out.

But I haven't come up with a way for him to shed the allegations of being homosexual yet.

so Rak didn't show any improvement this year?

Hey, a person can hope. I think it would do wonders for SU's rep if BF made it back. All articles on him mention he was fired and it is part of the negative press.

Would need the Feds to charge BD with extortion and maybe some type of conspiracy with Laurie to defraud BF. I think there was a reason BD never gave the tape to anyone official and the reason for that will come out.

But I haven't come up with a way for him to shed the allegations of being homosexual yet.
I get you. But even if that scenario above plays out (and I wouldn't surprised if it did), that still leaves Bernie as having been a closeted gay man in a somewhat unconventional marriage to a bat crazy woman. Tough to overcome that on the recruiting trail, to say nothing of the spotlight Bernie would be under as an openly gay Division 1 coach.

Okay, I can see arguments against DC.

My point is to have Hop concentrate on learning how to be head coach and moved out of the big man coaching position.

I think Hop should be involved in the decision. Seems like SU goes to past players a lot in there hiring, but if they went for someone like that Pete Newell character, I'm on board.
OK, this is really going too far. First, Hop knows how to be a head coach right now. Other colleges have wanted him to be their head coach. SU wants him to be head coach when JB leaves.
Second, do some research to understand who Pete Newell is.
Third, the coaches we have right now are doing a fine job. Note record this year. And note Brazilian center who was far too self-centered.

1. The change would start by Gmac finding another opportunity.
2. Certainly Fab has a huge role in his problems. The issue is whether with better oversight it could have been avoided. I contend the situation blindsided Hop. And when presented with the situation he couldn't quietly dispose of it. I think BF would have gotten it done.

You're claiming a switch from BF to gmac has been an upgrade. I thought it was Autry that was promoted. But in any event, I disagree. The current staff is too guard oriented.
re: # 2, I understand your conjecture, but as Jake said, Fab's issues were Fab's issues, not SU's.
Don't get the sudden love for BF. His freaky family has tarnished SU and he checked out years ago when Hop was promoted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom