Bill O'Brien | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Bill O'Brien

We don't really compete with psu for too many recruits, I'm not really worried about that. Yes Franklin will recruit well but he will also recruit at a higher level at psu than vandy. Like I said not worried
Do you mean we don't compete as in they usually get whomever they want?

That is why you have a GMC in Florida and Midwest contacts. The 6 hour radius is a thing of the past

Every time you say that convinced me more that you don't even know what is meant by it or how staffs recruit.

The PSU board is pretty fun right now. Highly suggested reading. Feels good when it's not us in total meltdown mode

Every time you say that convinced me more that you don't even know what is meant by it or how staffs recruit.

Btw IB, 16 commits. 7 from the 6 hour radius, a couple of Florida kids and some from areas where our assts have in roads. Sounds about right to me. As to next year, what is available out there shows about 60 players of interest with 29 from the 6 hour radius. Many from Florida and several again from areas our assts have contacts. Again, sounds about right to me.

And yet, PSU only scored three more points than SU in the second half...which is precisely how many points they out scored SU by in the first half. Your point is purely speculative, as is mine. We just don't know. But I'm not willing to concede that had he played int he first half, that SU wouldn't have adjusted for him in the second half. Just my opinion, Bro.
Mexican stand-off... I can appreciate that.

Fair enough. I totally agree with that we won't be a top 20 recruiting school for a while. I mean we could have a 9 win season fairly soon, but I don't think we are back completely. What Marrone did was save the program and bring it back to Rutgers mediocrity level.

Don't EVER compare us to Rutgers, man. They were a terrible program for 100 years. Literally.

Where we are right now is about at the level of Boston College - mid-level program - but clearly on the upswing, and we have history that far exceeds anybody you are going to compare us to at this point.

If Shafer completes the rebuild like I hope, we will be back to 8 and 9 win seasons regularly in just a couple more years. We need this staff to stay together for at least 3 years to get our recruiting up to where it needs to be.

And that team, with most of the offensive playmakers being seniors, really came on toward the end of the season with the only home game against Louisville. Had the majority of the playmakers last season been sophomore and juniors with a lot of buzz going into this, our first ACC season, I think we would have seen better attendance this year overall.

Cheers,
Neil

Great point. During Marrone's tenure, I would guess that a majority of our wins came on the road. We had some terrible, terrible games at home after hope had been raised a bit for the local fans. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but wow, we got pasted at home too many times, as we were trying to rebuild the program. That surely impacts attendance.

Moving marquee games away - although good business decisions - has hurt fan engagement, too. It's those big games that sell the whole season ticket package, although now that we're in the ACC, the overall quality of teams coming to visit is much more appealing than it used to be in the final version of the Big East.

From a fan engagement point of view, he left a couple years too soon. But then again, with his distaste for recruiting, he might have been reaching his high point as a coach right when he left.

Don't EVER compare us to Rutgers, man. They were a terrible program for 100 years. Literally.

Where we are right now is about at the level of Boston College - mid-level program - but clearly on the upswing, and we have history that far exceeds anybody you are going to compare us to at this point.

If Shafer completes the rebuild like I hope, we will be back to 8 and 9 win seasons regularly in just a couple more years. We need this staff to stay together for at least 3 years to get our recruiting up to where it needs to be.

Yeah, our history actually has some accomplishment unlike Rutgers. Good comparison to BC I should have used BC or Pitt rather than pathetic Rutgers whose best season ended with the trophy we just won in a 7-6 season. We can become an 8-9 win team regularly and with a transcendent talent at QB can be a 10-11 win team.

I also think, while LVille and WVU were good teams to beat, they lacked the national panache due to their BE affiliation and the lack of respect. Now if we beat FSU next year, that would be a head turner, and we will have finally "turned the corner" lol

ESPN is reporting its a done deal. Let's see if BOB takes any of the other coaches. Johnson won't be one of them. Dominos will be interesting. Schiano is probably on the phone with every recruit already. Kids take these coaching moves seriously, we felt it last year. Holley was never a realistic target and don't think that changes. Cabinda will be unfazed as well IMO. There may be a commit there that does have second thoughts and may find there way north. Interesting in few weeks ahead..