Bill Simmons...imbecile | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bill Simmons...imbecile

You guys are way over the top on this guy. Grantland is pretty good - and is way better than ESPN. His podcasts are great.

On TV he is less than stellar.

But way over the top on the hate.

You guys are way over the top on this guy. Grantland is pretty good - and is way better than ESPN. His podcasts are great.

I agree with all this. Don't think he's cut out for tv but has had some great columns and podcasts over the years. I'll be the first to admit he's become very self indulgent though.

I will say it, I find his writing to be entertaining and his podcasts are great listens. I enjoy his work. And I'm not alone, because he keeps growing. He just has louder critics than fans.

Yup I'm a fan too. The only problem I would have is if he ever announced on Celtics games on TV. I can't stand announcers that you can tell are obviously rooting for one team over another.

Simmons was way over the top during the draft. He was completely out of line acting like a crybaby Celtics fan with hurt feelings and lashing out at Rivers and getting teary eyed over not liking the trade. Completely out of line and unprofessional, and he deserves to get ripped for it. I don't think he's on ESPN to act like an emotional Celtics fan and getting in arguments with the ex coach. Now this little scrub is calling Doc "Glenn" like he knows him like that, and talking about his kids? who does he think he is? Hes not on Doc Rivers level in anything basketball related in any way. ESPN needs to reign him in and shut him up, it's an embarrassment at this point.

And I'm not even anti Simmons. I don't care for him on TV and I don't read his columns much anymore, but I used to enjoy them quite a bit and I appreciate what he's brought to the table over the years.

Simmons was way over the top during the draft. He was completely out of line acting like a crybaby Celtics fan with hurt feelings and lashing out at Rivers and getting teary eyed over not liking the trade. Completely out of line and unprofessional, and he deserves to get ripped for it. I don't think he's on ESPN to act like an emotional Celtics fan and getting in arguments with the ex coach. Now this little scrub is calling Doc "Glenn" like he knows him like that, and talking about his kids? who does he think he is? Hes not on Doc Rivers level in anything basketball related in any way. ESPN needs to reign him in and shut him up, it's an embarrassment at this point.

Spot on, across the board.

Yup I'm a fan too. The only problem I would have is if he ever announced on Celtics games on TV. I can't stand announcers that you can tell are obviously rooting for one team over another.
He couldn't be any worse than Tommy Heinsohn

Simmons began his career not as The Sports Guy, but rather as The Boston Sports Guy. His first schtick was that he was a die hard fan of all things Boston, and the pop culture references were clever and fresh at the time.

As he got popular and well known, ESPN picked him up and he dropped Boston from his handle. He got more popular and well known and next thing you know he heads to LA to find fame and fortune writing for Jimmy Kimmel. Once there, he bought Clippers season tix (I was a season holder during part of the same period) and became the third most famous Clipper fan behind Billy Crystal and Frankie Muniz. When the Kimmel thing didn't work out, he didn't go back east; he stayed in LA. So, the thing is, he sold out his Boston roots to come to LA for the money. And not just LA - but the Clippers, as well. Simmons looks at Rivers - and sees himself.

So, when Bill Simmons blasts Doc Rivers, what he is really doing is castigating the thing he hates most about himself - his own phoniness and disloyalty to his home town. He's projecting on to Doc to try and deflect his own self hatred.

Way too deep.

Simmons began his career not as The Sports Guy, but rather as The Boston Sports Guy. His first schtick was that he was a die hard fan of all things Boston, and the pop culture references were clever and fresh at the time.

In reality he was the Greenwich sports guy. Dude never had a Massachusetts drivers license.

The weird exchange between Simmons / Rivers has me wondering what value Simmons brings to the telecast.

All kidding aside--is there any positive quality he brings to NBA proceedings? I'm at a loss to understand what it might be.

And for the record, like Simmons I am a Boston Celtics fan--so on paper I should be a fan of his, but I literally can't stand the guy.
there's a huge espn bias for boston

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom