Bill Simmons...imbecile | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bill Simmons...imbecile

Simmons. I am wondering how many times I said to myself last night, "That guy is an idiot."

Wow! BFD if some guy on TV predicted one drafted player might start ahead another drafted player. ( Especially when he followed up saying he probably didn't know he was talking about.) So what! How does it affect anybody?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Someone has a man crush on the Boston Sports Guy.

Simmons hasn't been funny, original or relevant since the Patriots won their first Super Bowl. That was his last good column. His schtick was that of a lovable loser. Doesn't really work when all of your teams are winning. Now all he talks about are his lame friends...when he isn't name-dropping, that is.

Reactions: MCC
I think you guys are crazy. Sure he doesn't have the knowledge of Bilas, who I think is the current best talking head in all of sports, period. But at least he says EXACTLY what he thinks, even if it is controversial! He doesn't pitter patter around trying to be politically correct and not offend anyone. He is basically like Charles, but smarter, clearer, and more knowledgable! I for one thought he was great, and was expecting MUCH worse given what I had heard about him.
Some dudes like to get chained up and whipped. We're all strange in our own way.

He has really, really bought into his own hype. I remember when he used to write columns talking about how he'd never do TV. So much for that. He just thinks he's awesome, because he's got his little disciples who worship him, particularly now that he's got Grantland and he's buddies with guys like Jimmy Kimmel and Jalen Rose, so he thinks he's hot .

Sadly he's pretty much untouchable at ESPN because he's arguably their biggest personality, which sucks. He's a smug douchebag whose opinion of his own knowledge far exceeds his actual knowledge.
I thought you were talking about Skip Bayless for a second. Maybe that's a strong hiring point for ESPN.

Not in the tank for Syracuse guy = history's greatest monster.

Not really...I just get a few laughs at the over the top responses when some guy you normally couldn't care less about has something to say about a Syracuse guy that's a little less than gushing.

Can't stand the guy. I must have said, "this guy is an idiot" about 50 times. His 4 hours of bashing the Cavs for taking Bennett 1st was irritating. And his constant bashing of MCW for his lack of shooting ability really angered me. Every single kid drafted last night has flaws in his game. Why the non stop focus on MCW in a demeaning way? Bilas gave a professional scouting report on MCW including doesn't shoot well but does other things well. And his homer attitude about the Celtics...ugh.

I thought Simmons was good last night, though I didn't watch the whole draft. I missed the thing with Doc; sounds like that might change my opinion of him.

Really messed up story about stealing the Bad news Bears thing. Definitely takes him down a notch in my book. The draft is such a weird telecast, no one knows much about how these guys are gonna turn out anyway. Who anchored the draft coverage last year anyway?

I thought Simmons was good last night, though I didn't watch the whole draft. I missed the thing with Doc; sounds like that might change my opinion of him.

Really messed up story about stealing the Bad news Bears thing. Definitely takes him down a notch in my book. The draft is such a weird telecast, no one knows much about how these guys are gonna turn out anyway. Who anchored the draft coverage last year anyway?
Awful announcing
That link is stuff
Simmons was doing what nobody in the media will do because Doc has the media eating out of his hand. Doc is a mercenary now he got paid by Boston and took a 5 yr contract with a no-compete which he didn't have to sign and was obviously part of the rebuild as PP and KG weren't going to last 5 years when he signed the contract. Doc's son who played at Gtown and Indiana went crazy which is funny because he will probably get a job with the Clippers. Doc left a first class owner in Boston to work for that POS Donald Sterling, and Doc hasn't been criticized for that.

Simmons/Rivers blew up today.

Doc on WEII:

"He did everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to sit down w/ owners to talk about it."

Simmons tweet:

"The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100 percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking. You are making up."

Simmons/Rivers blew up today.

Doc on WEII:

"He did everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to sit down w/ owners to talk about it."

Simmons tweet:

"The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100 percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking. You are making up."

Simmons is pissed because Rivers went from his East Coast team to his West Coast team. He'll try to get Rivers fired there, too. His empty threats are amusing. A lawsuit would be hilarious, but we all know it will never happen.

Not really...I just get a few laughs at the over the top responses when some guy you normally couldn't care less about has something to say about a Syracuse guy that's a little less than gushing.

I get a few laughs out of baseless attributions.

I've never liked Simmons. If you could go back and sort through posts on the "sports guy" from the late 90s version of the board, you'd see that was my perspective about him has been consistent since when he first started publishing on ESPN.com back then.

And if you'd paid more attention last night, you'd also see that Simmons was a topic of discussion in multiple threads. So perhaps via your broken record schtick about bashing the Syracuse fanbase, this thread was precipitated by someone saying something "a little less than gushing" about a Syracuse guy. In reality it was about Simmons, who was terrible last night. Awful. And his comical dust up, displaying his emotional butt hurt over Doc's departure, was hilariously unprofessional. Too bad you missed out on those laughs.

I found him irritating, rude and so arrogantly opinionated you couldn't tell what was serious and a joke. I don't think that deserves to be hated but shows inexperience. The one announcer on the left end could only look away from him by the end of the draft.

Much prefer a Bilas, Knight, or Raftery who annouce the game, talk about peoples strengths, and bring no opinionated agenda. My favorite brand of basketball is one without agendas and hype though, maybe others feel different.

MCW has more potential then any guard in the nba draft except maybe Olandipo(who I haven't seen much of) thats why he is a announcer and not a talent scouter. MCW is the one guard you will absolutley have to double as time goes on on top of being the most athletic, one of the tallest and also a natural point guard who can distribute. He ran circles around Burke in tryouts.

It's not really what he says, it's how he says it. Can't stand they guy's voice and it comes across in his writing too.

I lost all respect for Bill Simmons when, first of all, he completely stole an e-mail I sent him back around 2003 and passed it off as his own idea (his breakdown of the Bad News Bears in Breaking Training batting order fiasco...that was 100% mine, he first mentioned it literally a week after I sent him the e-mail and never gave me credit), and THEN when this dude who claims to be the biggest Hoosiers fan ever went to the Hoosiers gym and didn't realize that Rade Butcher's name was Rade, and kept calling him either Ray or Rafe (I don't recall) in a Grantland video. He pretends to be an expert on everything but he's a guy who skims an encyclopedia and pretends to be smart.

Wait, that was you?? I remember that.

Simmons hasn't been funny, original or relevant since the Patriots won their first Super Bowl. That was his last good column. His schtick was that of a lovable loser. Doesn't really work when all of your teams are winning. Now all he talks about are his lame friends...when he isn't name-dropping, that is.

Yep

Simmons began his career not as The Sports Guy, but rather as The Boston Sports Guy. His first schtick was that he was a die hard fan of all things Boston, and the pop culture references were clever and fresh at the time.

As he got popular and well known, ESPN picked him up and he dropped Boston from his handle. He got more popular and well known and next thing you know he heads to LA to find fame and fortune writing for Jimmy Kimmel. Once there, he bought Clippers season tix (I was a season holder during part of the same period) and became the third most famous Clipper fan behind Billy Crystal and Frankie Muniz. When the Kimmel thing didn't work out, he didn't go back east; he stayed in LA. So, the thing is, he sold out his Boston roots to come to LA for the money. And not just LA - but the Clippers, as well. Simmons looks at Rivers - and sees himself.

So, when Bill Simmons blasts Doc Rivers, what he is really doing is castigating the thing he hates most about himself - his own phoniness and disloyalty to his home town. He's projecting on to Doc to try and deflect his own self hatred.

Simmons began his career not as The Sports Guy, but rather as The Boston Sports Guy. His first schtick was that he was a die hard fan of all things Boston, and the pop culture references were clever and fresh at the time.

As he got popular and well known, ESPN picked him up and he dropped Boston from his handle. He got more popular and well known and next thing you know he heads to LA to find fame and fortune writing for Jimmy Kimmel. Once there, he bought Clippers season tix (I was a season holder during part of the same period) and became the third most famous Clipper fan behind Billy Crystal and Frankie Muniz. When the Kimmel thing didn't work out, he didn't go back east; he stayed in LA. So, the thing is, he sold out his Boston roots to come to LA for the money. And not just LA - but the Clippers, as well. Simmons looks at Rivers - and sees himself.

So, when Bill Simmons blasts Doc Rivers, what he is really doing is castigating the thing he hates most about himself - his own phoniness and disloyalty to his home town. He's projecting on to Doc to try and deflect his own self hatred.
While we rarely agree on anything, much less get along, that post was solid and 100% on the mark.

I had season tix for the Clips back then, too. And Kadeem Hardison will always be the third most famous Clipper fan.

Yes, let's completely forget Bill Simmons has a wife. I'm pretty sure his wife didn't want to leave LA.

Yes, let's completely forget Bill Simmons has a wife. I'm pretty sure his wife didn't want to leave LA.
It was his idea to move out there in the first place. And how would you know anyway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom