Bill Simmons...imbecile | Syracusefan.com

Bill Simmons...imbecile

RF2044

Living Legend
He just predicted that Nate Wolters would start ahead of MCW.

Okay...

Edit: oh yeah...he's a self proclaimed comedian, so this must have been tongue-in-cheek. Or was it...?

Reactions: MCC
I lost all respect for Bill Simmons when, first of all, he completely stole an e-mail I sent him back around 2003 and passed it off as his own idea (his breakdown of the Bad News Bears in Breaking Training batting order fiasco...that was 100% mine, he first mentioned it literally a week after I sent him the e-mail and never gave me credit), and THEN when this dude who claims to be the biggest Hoosiers fan ever went to the Hoosiers gym and didn't realize that Rade Butcher's name was Rade, and kept calling him either Ray or Rafe (I don't recall) in a Grantland video. He pretends to be an expert on everything but he's a guy who skims an encyclopedia and pretends to be smart.

The weird exchange between Simmons / Rivers has me wondering what value Simmons brings to the telecast.

All kidding aside--is there any positive quality he brings to NBA proceedings? I'm at a loss to understand what it might be.

And for the record, like Simmons I am a Boston Celtics fan--so on paper I should be a fan of his, but I literally can't stand the guy.

The weird exchange between Simmons / Rivers has me wondering what value Simmons brings to the telecast.

All kidding aside--is there any positive quality he brings to NBA proceedings? I'm at a loss to understand what it might be.

And for the record, like Simmons I am a Boston Celtics fan--so on paper I should be a fan of his, but I literally can't stand the guy.

He has really, really bought into his own hype. I remember when he used to write columns talking about how he'd never do TV. So much for that. He just thinks he's awesome, because he's got his little disciples who worship him, particularly now that he's got Grantland and he's buddies with guys like Jimmy Kimmel and Jalen Rose, so he thinks he's hot .

Sadly he's pretty much untouchable at ESPN because he's arguably their biggest personality, which sucks. He's a smug douchebag whose opinion of his own knowledge far exceeds his actual knowledge.

He has really, really bought into his own hype. I remember when he used to write columns talking about how he'd never do TV. So much for that. He just thinks he's awesome, because he's got his little disciples who worship him, particularly now that he's got Grantland and he's buddies with guys like Jimmy Kimmel and Jalen Rose, so he thinks he's hot .

Sadly he's pretty much untouchable at ESPN because he's arguably their biggest personality, which sucks. He's a smug douchebag whose opinion of his own knowledge far exceeds his actual knowledge.

But...but...he wrote a "well researched" book about NBA history!!!

I'm sure people like Doc, who played and coaches at the highest level, have no respect for him and want to ring his neck when he pops off.

Bill Simmons is basically Uncle Rico but with a better grasp of the English language.

In other words, he was a JV level basketball player at best but always believed if he had actually played he could have won state. He's just an idiot.

Bill Simmons is basically Uncle Rico but with a better grasp of the English language.

In other words, he was a JV level basketball player at best but always believed if he had actually played he could have won state. He's just an idiot.
you just described 90% of all sports journalists.

Gotta be honest. I was wondering all night who the little douche a the end of the desk was. Never heard of him. Wasnt there a Bill Simmons who was a sports writer in Philly? An old fat guy in glasses? He reminded me of Gottlieb except Gottlieb at least knows the game even of I frequently disagree with him. I thought Jalen as going to jack him just to
shut hI'm up.

Actually, he moved west to be a writer for Kimmel's show (maybe the head writer). He no longer has that job, but ESPN has found lots for him to do.

Actually, he moved west to be a writer for Kimmel's show (maybe the head writer). He no longer has that job, but ESPN has found lots for him to do.

I'm well aware of that...I'm not sure exactly what I said that made you want to correct me, but okay. If it's my mention of Kimmel, well, he still mentions in a ton of his columns that he often goes over to Kimmel's house to watch NFL games, so yeah, he thinks he's hot because he is buddies with Kimmel.

And he's still a douche, even if ESPN has found lots for him to do.

He is a comedian. The draft was comical, so it was fitting that they had a comedian commenting on it.

I feel like the NBA draft is something that people follow out of habit, because it used to be interesting and even important. Now its just a tradition that the NBA and its fans observe every year. The NBA spends hundreds of millions of dollars to stage this lottery where teams vie to draw lots on the right to pay players 10s of millions of dollars in the hopes that a handful will pan out and amount to something.

Does anyone feel like the Cavaliers getting Anthony Bennett last night is going to change the future of the NBA, much less the Cavaliers? I don't know the foreign players at all, but given the college talent drafted last night this draft could go down as one of the least important of all time. Nerlens Noel goes from presumptive number #1 pick, to #6 to trade bait. Tells you all you need to know about what is likely to come out of this one. Oladipo, Bennett and Zeller go ahead of the guys that had been discussed as the candidates for the number pick for months?? Those are the NBAs future stars??? Maybe I'll be surprised.

I thought the David Kahn reference was pretty funny

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

He just predicted that Nate Wolters would start ahead of MCW.

Okay...

Edit: oh yeah...he's a self proclaimed comedian, so this must have been tongue-in-cheek. Or was it...?
Wow! BFD if some guy on TV predicted one drafted player might start ahead another drafted player. ( Especially when he followed up saying he probably didn't know he was talking about.) So what! How does it affect anybody?

I thought the David Kahn reference was pretty funny

I agree, that was good. He had a couple of zingers, but not enough for my taste. I found that when he was talking, I lost interest. I like Jalen Rose and Jay Bilas, and Fran Fraschilla always does a good job on the foreign dudes, although he could be making up everything because nobody cares about the foreign dudes.

For what it's worth, I'd still much rather listen to him talk basketball than the other guys on ESPN like Magic and Jalen.

Magic and Jalen both seem like good guys, but they're just fundamentally boring. Barkley/Kenny Smith/Ernie Johnson have a hilarious rapport amongst each other, but ESPN just hasn't been able to put that together.

Also, the way Wilbon sucks up to Magic is surreal. He absolutely worships him.

I agree, that was good. He had a couple of zingers, but not enough for my taste. I found that when he was talking, I lost interest. I like Jalen Rose and Jay Bilas, and Fran Fraschilla always does a good job on the foreign dudes, although he could be making up everything because nobody cares about the foreign dudes.
He also tried to dominate their segment. I don't find him overly funny, he tries so hard to crack jokes its somewhat embarrassing.

I'm well aware of that...I'm not sure exactly what I said that made you want to correct me, but okay. If it's my mention of Kimmel, well, he still mentions in a ton of his columns that he often goes over to Kimmel's house to watch NFL games, so yeah, he thinks he's hot because he is buddies with Kimmel.

And he's still a douche, even if ESPN has found lots for him to do.
Dude, I know you're pissed that he took your idea and ran with it. I would be too. But you're making him out to be the worst person in the world. I think you may be a bit biased. I think he's sometimes comical, writes better than he speaks and should stick with writing columns. He has a whiny voice, and isn't great on TV.

I actually remember that column that he wrote -- one of his better ones. Thanks for giving him the idea. Wish you had got the credit you deserved for it.

You don't have to like Simmons but he knows the NBA and Doc Rivers is so "classy" he quit on the Celtics. The Celtics made him the highest paid coach in the NBA and gave him a 5 yr 35 million dollar contract and he knew it would be part of a rebuilding process. Doc decided to take the money and still got to move on when the Celtics wanted to rebuild. If Doc who is classy didn't have the media eating out of his hand because he gives them all quotes they would call him for his moves. Doc is completely no different than any other mercenary coach now and he honestly wasn't good until the Celtics gave him a veteran team ready to win. I support Simmons for being the only guy to call Rivers for his actions. Rivers got to have his cake and eat as well. He left a good organization to work for that POS Donald Sterling. The Celtics are going to be rebuilding but Doc should go do TV if he wanted to leave his contract.

I thought Rece, Bilas, Jalen, Simmons was the best ESPN could have done for the NBA draft. Simmons is full of himself and petty but he actually realizes this draft is about entertainment and after the top 10 the rest of the picks are all dicey. Whenever somebody has to say how classy or says with all due respect it means they are arrogant. Austin Rivers should work on his game rather than tweet at Bill Simmons.

I think you guys are crazy. Sure he doesn't have the knowledge of Bilas, who I think is the current best talking head in all of sports, period. But at least he says EXACTLY what he thinks, even if it is controversial! He doesn't pitter patter around trying to be politically correct and not offend anyone. He is basically like Charles, but smarter, clearer, and more knowledgable! I for one thought he was great, and was expecting MUCH worse given what I had heard about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom