Bill Simmons Rips Cavaliers Winning Lottery | Syracusefan.com

Bill Simmons Rips Cavaliers Winning Lottery

The writer (not Simmons) takes a weird turn in editorializing and seemingly implying that Waiters was a bad pick because he never started for Syracuse and because he and Irving don't get along.

The NBA has as much drama as the WWE. It's one reason I don't pay much attention to it anymore.

Someone did a great article a few years back before the lottery drawing, basically having the pre written storyline for why the NBA rigged the lottery for each team.

The NBA draft lottery is an embarrassment to the league. Team with 33 wins gets the top pick ahead of teams with 15 and 19 wins. Plus it opens up the league to charges that's it's fixed in favor of a team the league wants to win it. Like the Cavs winning 3 of 4 years...to make up for losing LeBron? Just go by record like every other major sport does. Why is tanking any more likely in the NBA than in any other pro sport? It's not. If you believe a team is tanking games take disciplinary action against them. Don't bastardize the entire draft process.

Why is tanking any more likely in the NBA than in any other pro sport? It's not

I think it is; in basketball one player has a larger effect on a team's fortunes than any other sport. Maybe QB in the NFL, but I don't think so.

The wheel proposal I've seen is a very interesting one.

One ball per non playoff team. Draw them on the air just like the lottery, then there's transparency. Now if you tank you don't have any better chance than someone who doesn't, so there's no incentive. Give playoff teams a bump in salary cap, then teams that are borderline playoff teams have incentive to try and make the playoffs. Often those are teams with young talent that are afraid they'll lose them to free agency, so maybe the bump allows them to keep those guys.

It's likely neither of those ideas would work, but who knows.

Give playoff teams a bump in salary cap, then teams that are borderline playoff teams have incentive to try and make the playoffs. Often those are teams with young talent that are afraid they'll lose them to free agency, so maybe the bump allows them to keep those guys.

Bumping the cap wouldn't really help teams retain their players; they already have the right to offer them more money, an extra year, and have bird rights to go over the cap to keep their own players.

In general, the idea of extra cap space for playoff teams is interesting. Maybe like an extra exception or something. Only problem is the entire last lockout the owners were trying to bring salaries in.

The writer (not Simmons) takes a weird turn in editorializing and seemingly implying that Waiters was a bad pick because he never started for Syracuse and because he and Irving don't get along.

Cowherd was saying the exact same thing today. Must have read the article before his show.

Bumping the cap wouldn't really help teams retain their players; they already have the right to offer them more money, an extra year, and have bird rights to go over the cap to keep their own players.

In general, the idea of extra cap space for playoff teams is interesting. Maybe like an extra exception or something. Only problem is the entire last lockout the owners were trying to bring salaries in.
Yeah, just throwing out some crazy ideas. Guys are so worried about brand and marketing themselves, location seems to mean more than salaries anyway.

Yeah, just throwing out some crazy ideas. Guys are so worried about brand and marketing themselves, location seems to mean more than salaries anyway.

Yeah it's definitely winning that is driving things.
I kinda like the idea of giving playoff teams a little more wiggle room wih the cap.

The lottery in NOT rigged. Simmons needs to get his head out of his ass. It would be too easy/obvious if the NBA rigged it. The lottery is needed to prevent teams like the 76ers from tanking the season in January

Nothing new for Cleveland. They have pissed away good luck in the past.
That is why the NBA has the "Stepien Rule" to try and stop teams from committing suicide.
Maybe we need a new rule called the "Gilbert Rule" prohibiting teams from getting the first selection
more than once every five years.

Watch Cleveland draft Dante Exum or some nonsense.

as a Cleveland fan, I have no doubt they will screw this up. While it seems almost impossible, heck even trading the pick and some of these recent picks (Bennett, Dion, Varejo) that still have value, to get a couple core vets to pair with Kyrie, Thompson, et al, and somehow they will still screw this up. All three of the big 3 would fit. They will do something else entirely.

The lottery in NOT rigged. Simmons needs to get his head out of his ass. It would be too easy/obvious if the NBA rigged it. The lottery is needed to prevent teams like the 76ers from tanking the season in January

Seriously, why would the nba go out of its way to help out cleveland?

The tournament idea he pitches is so dumb. A smart organization would back out of the #8 spot in order to win the tournament and get the #1 pick. I mean think it through a little bit...

No one complains about the NFL Draft Order, yet people are infatuated with the NBA for some reason. The lottery hasn't stopped teams from improving, or staying lousy, for that matter.

His article claiming the Celtics lost with dignity (paraphrasing) is just homerism. He's the same guy who praised them for playing Rondo in games they were going to lose, and bench him when they could have won.

I think it is; in basketball one player has a larger effect on a team's fortunes than any other sport. Maybe QB in the NFL, but I don't think so.

The wheel proposal I've seen is a very interesting one.

I saw that wheel proposal, I think that is probably the best idea other than just go by record like every other sport. If a team wants to tank, let them. It is only hurting the owner and players because they won't get a crowd, which means the owners will not make money. Also, players may not get as good of a deal if they are known as a "tanker."

He's so painful to listen to on the Countdown show, almost as bad as Shaq on Inside the NBA

He actually uses to be funny, must have used up of his material, because he hasn't been in years.

He looks so out of place on Countdown and brings very little if anything to the show. I used to enjoy his writing. His humor comes across much better in writing than on the air.

Exum could be the most impactful player in the draft. People just don't know yet.

I've seen a number of sites compare him to Penny Hardaway - which is quite the compliment as he was well on his way to a HOF career before getting derailed by injuries.

Yeah it's definitely winning that is driving things.
I kinda like the idea of giving playoff teams a little more wiggle room wih the cap.
With some it's about the winning. With others, such as when Melo went to NY, it's about being in a superior market despite less of a chance of winning. If it had been only about winning, Melo would've gone to free agency back when he left Denver and taken a pay cut to go where there was at least one other big time star to partner up with.