BJ Johnson just can't play at this level | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson just can't play at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.

2-3zone

2nd String
I'm not just saying this because we need to clear a spot for Thomas Bryant next year but to me BJ looks like he would be a better fit at a place like Iona or Manhattan.

At this level of competition he just doesn't cut it

I haven't given up on him, but I'm confused as to why he likes that 18 foot shot so much. It's pretty much the worst field goal attempt you can take.

0 good comes from these threads. Bj obviously still has tremendous upside. We aren't kentucky, we develop kids. Just last year you guys were all talking about how rak and g were hopeless. Bj's time will come. He's been pressed into play due to injuries, i dont think anyone reasonably expected him to come out looking like senior demetris nichols.

Sometimes a kid just doesn't develop as projected...not to bash BJ but he needs a fresh start in a lower D1 program...I know he's young but on a team with a low basketball IQ, his is the lowest...JMHO

0 good comes from these threads. Bj obviously still has tremendous upside. We aren't kentucky, we develop kids. Just last year you guys were all talking about how rak and g were hopeless. Bj's time will come. He's been pressed into play due to injuries, i dont think anyone reasonably expected him to come out looking like senior demetris nichols.

Respectfully, I will disagree. I get the fact that we should give a player more time, if that is one's stance. However, to compare BJ to G and Rak is a bit of a stretch. We ALL want BJ to produce, but other than a game or two, he hasn't. To compare that to Go and Rak and where they were I believe is a bit of happy (and forgetful) thinking. Those guys didn't produce like we wanted, but they produced some. Right now, BJ isn't doing that. Like it or not, that's the reality. I see BJ as a very good player potentially but unfortunately, he just simply isn't showing it. I (as any SU fan would hope) will change.

Sometimes a kid just doesn't develop as projected...not to bash BJ but he needs a fresh start in a lower D1 program...I know he's young but on a team with a low basketball IQ, his is the lowest...JMHO
Christ almighty. Judge not, folks. I still see a very substantial upside, and certainly no reason for the Chicken Little line of commentary we're seeing in this thread. Come on.

Maybe the handle isn't there yet, but I could see BJ's springs leading to a Naughts-era dunk like this one before all is said and done. Keep the faith, people.

We've barely seen him on the court this year! How can you say he can't play at this level. Give the man some respectable playing time before crucifying him.

Every player on this roster has the potential to be a really good college player. If they didn't, then they wouldn't be here.

the bad start to the season put him behind the 8 ball. If Cooney & Gbinije had shot the ball as well in the first 8 games as they did in the second 8 then there would have been more court time for him to get used to the speed of the game & level of competition. but of course that wasn't the case.

I think he'll be able to play at this level eventually.

We as fans want success for everyone on the team...we love our Orange but when you get your shot for playing time ...you have to show something....if BJ can't contribute this year... no way does he leave the bench in 2015 with the class we have coming in.... the one consent in every Boehiem interview this year is that our young players aren't learning...meaning low basketball IQ...

Christ almighty. Judge not, folks. I still see a very substantial upside, and certainly no reason for the Chicken Little line of commentary we're seeing in this thread. Come on.

Maybe the handle isn't there yet, but I could see BJ's springs leading to a Naughts-era dunk like this one before all is said and done. Keep the faith, people.

I'm squinting real hard and I just don't see it. I hate, hate crapping on our own players but in the limited time he's been given there've been very few positives to point to. The injuries have been an opportunity to grow for some (Roberson, Gbinije, Joseph) but they've also exposed some of our players and their deficiencies.

Sure he's still young but time is running out. Could be he pulls a Bobby Lazor on us but I'm thinking Sam Spann.

I'm not just saying this because we need to clear a spot for Thomas Bryant next year but to me BJ looks like he would be a better fit at a place like Iona or Manhattan.

I think he can play at this level. But obviously his current performances are showing he's just not ready yet.

I'm still not convinced Trevor Cooney is a star or Silent G. But each night they are doing a better job at convincing me than BJ right now. BJ has to bide his time and keep working on his game. Hopefully it will click some day and he will be able to realize his potential. I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet. I waited this long for Cooney and G.

I think he can play at this level. But obviously his current performances are showing he's just not ready yet.

I'm still not convinced Trevor Cooney is a star or Silent G. But each night they are doing a better job at convincing me than BJ right now. BJ has to bide his time and keep working on his game. Hopefully it will click some day and he will be able to realize his potential. I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet. I waited this long for Cooney and G.

Heck, I'm not convinced Cooney's a high major player. He's good enough to play at this level but that doesn't necessarily mean he should. The best comparison I could come up with for him is a football one and it's an imperfect one: Troy Nunes. Nunes flashed brightly from time to time but ultimately was better suited to star at UBuffalo than at Syracuse. Similarly I think Cooney would be an all-conference type player at Delaware and maybe light up a Power 5 team or two in the OOC sked while getting smothered by quicker, more athletic defenders in the rest.

Hakim Warrick absolutely could not even catch the ball his freshman year. He only started getting to a minimal performance level in the NIT. Nichols could not hit the ocean until mid Jr year. James Southerland hit 5 for 5 from 3 in his first exhibition game and then didn't do anything positive for 2.5 years before eventually shattering the BET 3 pointers record as a senior. He is probably the best analog to BJ at this point.

No offense, but what exactly are you guys seeing that makes you think he has potential? He's 6'8 (or so) and looks like a good athlete; but other than that what are we seeing? He can't handle the ball, hasn't made a jumpshot in forever, seeems below average on D and doesn't really know what to do with the ball once he gets it.

I get (and agree) why people think Patterson has potential. It also speaks volumes to me that JB would rather play Cooney/Roberson/G 40 minutes than give BJ any run; I know there's a chance for major improvement every summer, but to go from where he is now to a contributor next year (especially with our depth next year) seems so far fetched to me at this point.

I don't understand this sentence at all. Cooney averages 14 ppg - he's clearly good enough to play at this level.
Yeah that sentence made no sense honestly..

To me, it looks like the kid has lost all confidence in his shot.

Heck, I'm not convinced Cooney's a high major player. He's good enough to play at this level but that doesn't necessarily mean he should. The best comparison I could come up with for him is a football one and it's an imperfect one: Troy Nunes. Nunes flashed brightly from time to time but ultimately was better suited to star at UBuffalo than at Syracuse. Similarly I think Cooney would be an all-conference type player at Delaware and maybe light up a Power 5 team or two in the OOC sked while getting smothered by quicker, more athletic defenders in the rest.
So, if he really isn't that good, why do other teams focus their defense on him. On a good offensive team, he could average about 18 points. Its hard to play when your defender can face guard you all day, without any help responsibilities.

the bad start to the season put him behind the 8 ball. If Cooney & Gbinije had shot the ball as well in the first 8 games as they did in the second 8 then there would have been more court time for him to get used to the speed of the game & level of competition. but of course that wasn't the case.

I think he'll be able to play at this level eventually.

He played 26 min vs KSU. People thought he looked great. I pointed out he was a garbage man in that game. Which is fine, I was a career garbage man in my never made it to d1 college bball career. i think he caught 2 airballs and turned them into layups.

26 min vs hampton

13 min vs cal

0 vs iowa

31 vs loyola

30 vs holy cross

3 vs mich

7 vs st johns

For a 8th/9th guy at the beginning of the season - that is pretty quality minutes right there in the 1st 8 games.

Height: 6'8"
Weight: 195lbs.

FG: 34.7%
3FG: 23.6%
FT: 44.4%

TOPG: 0.6
RPG: 2.2
PPG: 4.2

These are Demetris Nichols' freshman stats from a season in which he started more than half the games. Go look at BJ's stats, who's in a much smaller role, and tell me why BJ (basically a freshman) should be on a low level D1 team if DNic didn't belong there. . And, in case anybody is wondering, DNic's stats didn't improve much as a sophomore.

2nd in the ACC in 3 pointers made, outscoring the ACC preseason POY, but he's not a high major player... Some of you guys are out of your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.