BJ Johnson just can't play at this level | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson just can't play at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will bet that WHEN Syracuse beats someone good in that murderous February schedule, BJ will have contributed much.

These type of threads make me want to punch to O.P. in the face.

I'm not just saying this because we need to clear a spot for Thomas Bryant next year but to me BJ looks like he would be a better fit at a place like Iona or Manhattan.

At this level of competition he just doesn't cut it

I disagree. For his size he is a tremendous rebounder which surprises me. He will get confidence at some point and start shooting the lights out.

Think about this. BJ as a JR next year will be of similar age to many freshman with how many go and play at prep schools before college. He still hasn't even filled into his frame enough to gain that next level strength. He has good length, nice form on his shot and good instincts on the boards. I agree with jeff in he should have been redshirted just to give him that extra year to mature without the pressue of whether he would get a shot to contribute. Remember Cooney his 1st year actually playing.. outside defense it wasn't pretty. Look where Trevor is now. BJ has the tools to get there and I can't stress enough the impact of him being so young still.

The concern here is time. I am of the opinion that youth is only beneficial if you utilize a redshirt in college (to get closer to players your age and time to grow) or if you are going to the pros.

BJ will always play catchup while at Syracuse because he is always going to be very young for his class.

My biggest concern with BJ is how flat his shot has become. Fixable, but probably not until the off-season,

He is more then talented enough to play at this level. It is a combination of pressing to prove he belongs in limited minutes and the fact we really, really need someone who can hit a jumper that isn't named Trevor or Mike. Wouldn't be surprised if he was told to shoot when he entered the game.

Think about this. BJ as a JR next year will be of similar age to many freshman with how many go and play at prep schools before college. He still hasn't even filled into his frame enough to gain that next level strength. He has good length, nice form on his shot and good instincts on the boards. I agree with jeff in he should have been redshirted just to give him that extra year to mature without the pressue of whether he would get a shot to contribute. Remember Cooney his 1st year actually playing.. outside defense it wasn't pretty. Look where Trevor is now. BJ has the tools to get there and I can't stress enough the impact of him being so young still.

At 18-19, he appears to have a body of a 15-16 year old, made even more noticeable by his recent decision to ditch the undershirt under his uni...his arms are really skinny, imo, embarrassingly so. He clearly, as others have eluded as well, should've redshirted. The fact that he's so young is really is no benefit to the Orange as by the time it takes him to get his physique to a level where he can be productive/withstand this level of play, he will have exhausted his eligibility.

I don't know what 'tools' he possesses due to a very limited sample size, but when he has had the opportunity to portray any, (consistently missing wide open shots, appearing clueless on D, clanking free throws, limited handle, etc.) he hasn't demonstrated/capitalized on them.

I'm not just saying this because we need to clear a spot for Thomas Bryant next year but to me BJ looks like he would be a better fit at a place like Iona or Manhattan.

Idiotic post. FAIL

BJ isn't a minus, or a fill in defensevely and with rebounds. And thats a big key. Mookie for example was a minus defensively as a guard as he had no speed burst, and it took all his minutes away despite his ability to spot up very well.

We don't know how BJ does in practice either. I remmber hearing reports about cooney and Southerland killing it in practice, but not being game ready as they were shoot themselves into the game types as well. I am curious with Dajuan's rehabilitation as well? Coach has made it sound like BJ plays because he can play a few minutes, not to fill in and spell minutes.

Remember when BJ put up 18 points early on shooting off the dribble well? Southerland did the same thing once his first game as a fresh putting up 5-6 threes in a exhibition. Maybe he should go back and watch that game a few times.

Last edited:
At 18-19, he appears to have a body of a 15-16 year old, made even more noticeable by his recent decision to ditch the undershirt under his uni...his arms are really skinny, imo, embarrassingly so. .

I kind of feel the same way about kaleb he has a long way to go in bulking up, but he is doing good. Freshmen Fair and keita were the same way. I hardly call this lost though...

Last edited:
agreed. leave the kid alone and give him time to get better.

why do we have such ahole fans sometimes. 18/19 year old kids. people forget what it's like to be that age, nevermind when you're playing in front of 20k+ fans every night.

He's a second year player on one of the most prestigious hoops programs in the country - not some suburban kid trying to figure out a major.

2-3, this is the type of post that can come back to bite you in the a$$ and kill your board cred.

We don't recruit guys who can't play at this level, especially with the level we've been able to recruit at over the last few years.

He may not be ready to play at this level but not being ready and not being able are two completely different things.

Plenty of really good players who weren't ready as sophs who blew up as juniors or seniors.

almost always agree with you, but not on this topic. BJ's time will never come. He literally air balled a layup. I have never seen that before, not even at YMCA pick up games. He cant guard, cant shoot, cant rebound. We have G here another year, so at best he plays 5 mins a game next year. at BEST. then he is a senior.

He is much better off going somewhere he can START for two years. Univ of Buffalo anyone? He could carry them to the Big Dance.

This come from that same basketball encyclopedia that told you the Cooney can't shoot or that BJ could have helped our offense last year instead of rotting on the pine?

So, last year he could have helped our offense and this year he shouldn't be on the team?

Make up your mind.

Hakim Warrick absolutely could not even catch the ball his freshman year. He only started getting to a minimal performance level in the NIT. Nichols could not hit the ocean until mid Jr year. James Southerland hit 5 for 5 from 3 in his first exhibition game and then didn't do anything positive for 2.5 years before eventually shattering the BET 3 pointers record as a senior. He is probably the best analog to BJ at this point.
Fab Melo is another good example for players that obviously needed time to develop

2-3, this is the type of post that can come back to bite you in the a$$ and kill your board cred.

We don't recruit guys who can't play at this level, especially with the level we've been able to recruit at over the last few years.

He may not be ready to play at this level but not being ready and not being able are two completely different things.

Plenty of really good players who weren't ready as sophs who blew up as juniors or seniors.

With all due respect, we've certainly recruited guys who really couldn't play at this level over the years, including the past few years which transferred out. Sean Williams, DeShonte Riley to name a couple. But hey, don't fret it...board credibility that is. :);)

This thread should be locked. This is a collection of some of the worst posts I have seen in a while. Some near sightedness, and lots of flat out unknowledgeable posts. Mods please!

Just a terrible thread. Was anyone expecting BJ to be a regular contributor as a Soph? I thought it was pretty clear what he was when he was recruited - a very young/raw kid for his class, but one that brought intriguing upside.

He's had a rough stretch but he's shown flashes of big time athleticism and I like his aggressiveness. No doubt he needs to put on weight and gain game experience, but I think he has a chance to be a very solid all-around player in his final two years on the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.