Blaming the Wrong Boeheim... | Syracusefan.com

Blaming the Wrong Boeheim...

newmexicuse

All Conference
big thread blaming buddy, who did in fact stink the last two games.

however, i blame the guy who left him the games far too long. team was on a nice run w goodine in there, why did buddy see the court again.

hate to say, but i doubt any player, playing like that, would have seen the court again other than his own kid.

however, i blame the guy who left him the games far too long. team was on a nice run w goodine in there, why did buddy see the court again.

hate to say, but i doubt any player, playing like that, would have seen the court again other than his own kid.
I agree with this. I think JB has done a poor job of substituting and refuses to make subs for defense. The end of the game defense has been horrible. We couldn’t stop anyone, gave up too many East baskets and didn’t rebound. Would like to see some off/def subs and Sidibe in there at the end to rebound. I also would like to see him get on Eli a little bit more about taking over games more often and improving his shot selection. Also our close outs on defense are horrendous. We never run shooters off the line, we just fly right past them or weakly contest if we don’t foul.

I think this board gets a little obsessed with blaming after losses.

Hughes doesn’t get the drives to the basket with Goodine in the game. Buddy keeps the floor spread. Goodine‘s man would have helped on all the drives.

Oft repeated, nonsense narrative IMO. Ball movement cures all sorts of ills.

Goodine checked in and we had 2 or 3 straight successful drives to the rim, and then one by Goodine, where he missed an easy shot. The offense never shuts down because "spacing." We function best obviously when Buddy is in and hitting shots - but it's an imaginary problem that adding Goodine, or HoWa to the mix, suddenly creates this unpenetrable wall on defense.

Hughes is good. Hughes will get to the rim.

Last edited:
Explain

you’ve watched Syracuse basketball for a while, I assume. So there should be no explanation necessary.

edit: I don’t want to sound like a jerk. Trevor Cooney is an example of a non-blood relative of James Arthur who was left in games or returned to games when another viable option was available. Games in which Cooney was the worst performer on the court between both teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buddy is in there because JB always believes he'll make his next 3.

here is the thing. There is too much buddy blaming on the board. having said that, the OP is right. There was no need to bring Buddy back in the game. We were down 11 when he went out and down 4 when he came back in. I don't think buddy would have put himself back in the game if this was a rec league game and he saw the team doing better without him.

I mean today should be taken with a grain of salt FSU has like 2/3 guards/wings with NBA size and athleticism that they rotate a lot who are always fresh though the best one was out. At their place that’s a game you’d expect him to struggle and he’s still had a good season big picture. Brycen didn’t do much. Just sucks he gave us nothing in such a close winnable game.

here is the thing. There is too much buddy blaming on the board. having said that, the OP is right. There was no need to bring Buddy back in the game. We were down 11 when he went out and down 4 when he came back in. I don't think buddy would have put himself back in the game if this was a rec league game and he saw the team doing better without him.
Pretty sure they went on a 7-0 run right after Buddy came back in for Goodine.

(Which is just as meaningless as a +7 run when Brycen was in there, because neither guy really did anything of note to contribute to that run.)

I haven’t seen it mentioned, but Guerrier’s giveaway foul 90 feet from the basket with about 1:30 to play was a terrible play... gifted them 2 points down the stretch.

I don’t really believe it has anything to do with buddy being his son .. once you’re annointed and in the good graces of the coach... performance no longer matters .. you just play

Pretty sure they went on a 7-0 run right after Buddy came back in for Goodine.

(Which is just as meaningless as a +7 run when Brycen was in there, because neither guy really did anything of note to contribute to that run.)

I haven’t seen it mentioned, but Guerrier’s giveaway foul 90 feet from the basket with about 1:30 to play was a terrible play... gifted them 2 points down the stretch.
It was a terrible foul. But he also does some pretty good things out there. And they are never mentioned;.

I can’t fathom leaving Marek in for as long as JB did with 2 fouls so early in the game. Marek was so afraid to foul down the stretch when he had four fouls that FSU directed their whole offense at him and it resulted in bunny after bunny. When a guy has four fouls why not play some offense defense and run Jesse out there? Maybe if JB had stole a few minutes for Marek during the game he might not have been playing with 4 fouls late.
Hours later and I’m still in a nasty mood.

I can’t fathom leaving Marek in for as long as JB did with 2 fouls so early in the game. Marek was so afraid to foul down the stretch when he had four fouls that FSU directed their whole offense at him and it resulted in bunny after bunny. When a guy has four fouls why not play some offense defense and run Jesse out there? Maybe if JB had stole a few minutes for Marek during the game he might not have been playing with 4 fouls late.
Hours later and I’m still in a nasty mood.

How bout he doesn’t commit two totally useless reach ins each first half ?

I’d also argue the worst thing that happened to us was Buddy having a couple games of success taking horrid low efficiency contested twos .. they’ve stopped falling and he continues to take them .. if people play up on you so hard that you have to drive by them to keep them honest , then you should be able get to the rim .. if all you can muster after they sell out on you like that is a turn around contested 15 footer .. you’ve got a problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom