Blaming the Wrong Boeheim... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Blaming the Wrong Boeheim...

I think you’re incorrect. With BB they have to concentrate on him. Goodine is good and will be very good, but I’d never take BB out for him because he might play better, he’s just not proven yet and BB can hit one at any time. I just wouldn’t do it. I believe his advantage being in there might be just that, drawing the defense. He will get better finding his shot snd creating better. If not we’ll see him lose time to a better player after awhile. But 2 bad games doesn’t mean he gets pulled. Him, JGIII and EH are the 3 keys to success for the Orange and I don’t see that changing this year. I also don’t believe it has anything with BB being JB’s son at all, and my evidence is BBs play. He deserves to be in there.

I think you’re incorrect. With BB they have to concentrate on him. Goodine is good and will be very good, but I’d never take BB out for him because he might play better, he’s just not proven yet and BB can hit one at any time. I just wouldn’t do it. I believe his advantage being in there might be just that, drawing the defense. He will get better finding his shot snd creating better. If not we’ll see him lose time to a better player after awhile. But 2 bad games doesn’t mean he gets pulled. Him, JGIII and EH are the 3 keys to success for the Orange and I don’t see that changing this year. I also don’t believe it has anything with BB being JB’s son at all, and my evidence is BBs play. He deserves to be in there.
we are not talking about playing goodine ahead of buddy in general. we are talking about a specific context where buddy was having a terrible game, buddy was mismatched against the fsu defenders, and most importantly, the team was on a strong run with buddy on the bench.

Rosie Boouie on radio postgame: Buddy occupies 3 players on floor. The guy guarding him, the guy who's supposed to help on the double team and a third guy who is supposed to help if one of the other two are screened or out of position. His presence has to be accounted for, unlike Goodine. He creates space for the other players because of the attention he gets. Rosie said people would complain when Cooney was in a slump and JB would leave him in game. JB would leave Cooney in game for same reason. Although he's cold. he's still a threat. Goodine is no threat at this point in his career.

Sooooooo, team defense? And this was developed recently to stop Buddy Boeheim?

And before that Trevor Cooney? Okay.

Did they elaborate much on this double-teaming of Buddy? In what sense? Like, a trap?

Otherwise, accounting for shooters is a fairly normal endeavor. I mean, the inability to drive causes a balancing of sorts.

Do we think Buddy is better on defense and rebounding? Or is Goodine good enough in those areas to get 10 minutes per half so we have rested players? Also would get the kid experience for next year

big thread blaming buddy, who did in fact stink the last two games.

however, i blame the guy who left him the games far too long. team was on a nice run w goodine in there, why did buddy see the court again.

hate to say, but i doubt any player, playing like that, would have seen the court again other than his own kid.

Neither Boeheim deserves any blame.

Florida St was regularly sending double teams to Buddy Boeheim. Assuming we can all agree that Buddy is not a Carmelo Anthony type talent that we want taking a lot of shots even when double teamed, he was right to not take very many shots.

Obviously you don't want Buddy going 0-7, but I would have been very happy with 2-7 and considered 3-7 a great game considering the defensive attention. Sometimes the shots just don't fall.

Florida St treating Boeheim like he's our star allowed Girard and a clearly not 100% Hughes to get enough space to score 47 combined points, on pretty much all good shots.

Late in the game when Florida St tried to shut both Buddy and Girard down, Hughes got multiple open lay ups in a row. That never happens against top 10 teams in late game situations when their half court D is set up and not in transition. Offense was not our problem. Our offense was great. As always this year defense and rebounding was our problem.

Put a great shot blocker in the middle of our zone and this might be a championship contending team.

Goodine should have been left in the game. He should have been in the game earlier and he should play more going forward. He is a threat to score. He drives the ball much better than Buddy. He is twice the defender of buddy. He handles the ball better than Buddy and he rebounds better than Buddy. When Buddy is off and or overmatched as he was yesterday he is a negative. He shouldn't have played much yesterday. If Goodine had played more we win this game. Going forward Goodine needs significant court time to prepare for next year.

I regret even posting in this thread, but whatever. Guys get better. That’s how Nova eventually won. We have lost a lot of games where we blew the lead. I think that will change next year.

You realize how bad we are on defense right? 138th. We blow leads because we can’t stop anyone. Who is coming to save us next year?

Nova had Top 30-50 recruits improving over time. The talent comparison isn’t in the same ballpark.

What is Buddy supposed to do? Say "hey Dad I'm off today and not doing anything to help the team, take me out". This issue is on the old man. Good or bad Buddy is one of our best players. The fact that he isn't capable of being, but needs to be our second option, and good or bad plays 38 minutes a night is on the head coach and assistants who recruit here.

How bout he doesn’t commit two totally useless reach ins each first half ?
Agreed but the two things are not mutually exclusive. JB has to know Marek commits idiotic fouls so he should not trust him not to pick up a third Early in the first half.

Neither Boeheim deserves any blame.

Florida St was regularly sending double teams to Buddy Boeheim. Assuming we can all agree that Buddy is not a Carmelo Anthony type talent that we want taking a lot of shots even when double teamed, he was right to not take very many shots.

Obviously you don't want Buddy going 0-7, but I would have been very happy with 2-7 and considered 3-7 a great game considering the defensive attention. Sometimes the shots just don't fall.

Florida St treating Boeheim like he's our star allowed Girard and a clearly not 100% Hughes to get enough space to score 47 combined points, on pretty much all good shots.

Late in the game when Florida St tried to shut both Buddy and Girard down, Hughes got multiple open lay ups in a row. That never happens against top 10 teams in late game situations when their half court D is set up and not in transition. Offense was not our problem. Our offense was great. As always this year defense and rebounding was our problem.

Put a great shot blocker in the middle of our zone and this might be a championship contending team.

The guy in the game thread who was at the game told us “they’re not even guarding Buddy!!” right around the time they picked him up from 35 feet away on a fast break(a time he often gets open looks). There’s people on here who don’t even know what they’re watching.

I regret even posting in this thread, but whatever. Guys get better. That’s how Nova eventually won. We have lost a lot of games where we blew the lead. I think that will change next year.

Why do you think that ? Do we have a top 100 wing and Big on the way?

Two bad games? Team have learned how to shut him down guard him . He has no counter
Quite the statement to make based on a two game sample size, one of which our best player got hurt so Jackson drew their best defender for 35 minutes. He’ll be fine everyone goes through rough stretches

Quite the statement to make based on a two game sample size, one of which our best player got hurt so Jackson drew their best defender for 35 minutes. He’ll be fine everyone goes through rough stretches

Can we get a sample size from Goodine to see what he can do?

Can we get a sample size from Goodine to see what he can do?
Yeah email one of the coaches and ask how he does in practice or go back and watch the beginning of the NC State game and remind yourself of the open layup he blew

I don’t know. I’m skeptical. Joe and Buddy are small and slow, respectively. I worry that we’ll never be good on defense with the two of them at the the top of the zone. And how will a grad transfer center like Tape (if we get him) learn the nuances of playing the middle of the zone in just a few months? Which means we’ll have to hope Bourama and Jesse improve a lot in the offseason. Hopefully Hughes comes back and the offense goes from top 25 to top 10 and the defense can improve marginally. That’s all I got.

Last edited:
Or the clutch play to get our last win
Edwards tipped the ball to him on that play should he get more playing time? If that’s the logic we’re using based off of 5 seconds of game action when Buddy has been our second best scorer for the majority of our games.

You realize how bad we are on defense right? 138th. We blow leads because we can’t stop anyone. Who is coming to save us next year?

Nova had Top 30-50 recruits improving over time. The talent comparison isn’t in the same ballpark.

Not the first championship team with Ryan Archidiacano. We are not that far off. 3-5 in games that were decided by less than 5 points two month after people said this team would win 5 games and be blown out by every team on the schedule.

And teams have learned to shut him down.
Edwards tipped the ball to him on that play should he get more playing time? If that’s the logic we’re using based off of 5 seconds of game action when Buddy has been our second best scorer for the majority of our games.
He is in a slump teams have learned to tightly guard and take him out of the game. He is defensive liability so why give someone who can play defense and rebound a chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom